Sunset sail?

Travel discussion for St. John
Lulu76

Sunset sail?

Post by Lulu76 »

I know I said I was done planning, but in my research to make sure I wanted to take the ferry to Jost instead of a day sail (I do.), I noticed that most of these companies offered a sunset sail. That sounds very nice.

I just don't know if I want to do on a sailboat or on a catamaran. I don't know what company to go with either.

Does anyone have any recommendations or any thoughts on sailboat vs. catamaran?

Thanks!
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

We've done the sunset sail with Calypso twice now. Once, we were the only six people on the trip and the second time we had eight in our party and only two more joined us. Both our trips were very low key and peaceful sails. The drinks flowed freely, but everyone was just chilling as opposed to getting drunk and taking their clothes off as happened when Pete and Marcia went!! We love the Catamaran because there is plenty of room to spread out and be comfortable and with the sails up, it's just gorgeous!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

OK, I was totally leaning toward a sailboat instead of a catamaran until I read your post. The only thing that worries me is that they emailed me today, and if they don't have eight people, they won't go out. There are only four of us. I don't want our trip to get cancelled, because now that I've made up my mind that I want to go on a sunset cruise, I am going!

I don't know if I want to share a little boat with crazy, nekkid people. I might get drunk and crazy, but I always keep my top on! :lol:
Lex

Post by Lex »

We've never done a sunset sail in the VI but have done a daysail on Phil Chalker's Wayward Sailor and couldn't have been more satisfied. He does offer a sunset cruise. This is definitely not a boat for someone interested in a booze cruise, but we really enjoyed being out on the water with Capt Phil

http://www.waywardsailor.net/
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Lulu76 wrote:OK, I was totally leaning toward a sailboat instead of a catamaran until I read your post. The only thing that worries me is that they emailed me today, and if they don't have eight people, they won't go out. There are only four of us. I don't want our trip to get cancelled, because now that I've made up my mind that I want to go on a sunset cruise, I am going!

I don't know if I want to share a little boat with crazy, nekkid people. I might get drunk and crazy, but I always keep my top on! :lol:
Just so you know we got cancelled. We were only 2 but I think they got 4 others but still didn't go out the night we were booked for. It was a little disappointing but we moved right on to the next fun thing!
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

Check to see if Capt Phil will be back in the water as we are going next week and were hoping to go out w/him but he pulled his boat for annual maintenance. Will anyone on the boards here like to link up for a boat day any day next week?
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I've gotten a lot of good recommendations, and it looks like someone will be able to accommodate us. I am very leery of putting all my eggs in Calypso's basket because they could only do it the last night of our trip, and they did indicate we'd get cancelled if they don't have enough people -- might be too late for other plans.

Whatever we do will be great. I am really looking forward to it.
savvy

Post by savvy »

We enjoy sailing on the Wayward Sailor, but haven't done the sunset sail. We noticed that Captain Phil had one of his photos published in Caribbean Travel & Life magazine, as part of their photo contest.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I have e-mailed Captain Phil, but haven't heard back yet. Maybe he is taking some time off for the off season?

I have a few folks I've talked to, but part of me is way over planning and thinks she might just call someone who's hung a flier on the bulletin board in Starfish Market.
loria

Post by loria »

have you tried captain Jason on the cloud nine--we id a day sai with him in August and couldn't have been happier. I know he also offers sunset sails.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I think he e-mailed me back and said he'd be off island then.

I have a few options, so I think we'll be OK.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Lulu76 wrote:I have e-mailed Captain Phil, but haven't heard back yet. Maybe he is taking some time off for the off season?

I have a few folks I've talked to, but part of me is way over planning and thinks she might just call someone who's hung a flier on the bulletin board in Starfish Market.
Lulu - I just got an e-mail from Capt. Phil over the weekend. His boat is in the boatyard right now, but I didn't ask when he's planning on putting it back in the water. I'm sure you'll hear from him in a day or two. :D
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Fingers crossed! I have heard nothing but good things about Captain Phil.

Ed (notahippie) sailed with Captain Jini last week and put me in touch with her. She sounds like an awesome person, however, her boat might not be in the water when we are there.

She did say she would keep us posted and get us someone else if that was the case.

As with villas, restaurants, beaches -- there are just so many sailboats to choose from.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Just returned from a fabulous week on STJ and the highlight of our trip was our day sail with Captain Robert Manley! His sailboat is docked at Red Hook ready to go anywhere we wanted. He took just the 2 of us to Christmas Cove, Mingo Cay and other great remote snorkeling places. He even caught our lunch for us! Lobster & snapper! Unbelievable! After a full day, we watched him sail into the sunset back to St. Thomas with tears in my eyes.
I could go on & on, but give him a call on his cell# 340-642-7499 or website: daysailvirginislands.com

Happy sailing~ :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]