trip report

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Lulu76 wrote:I wanna see! I wanna see!

The biggest thing that I miss about living in Michigan is my ability to spend all my weekends "up north."
Some of the best memories of my twenty something years were spending weekends "up north" in Michigan. Same for my husband. We love Kid Rock's video "All Summer Long".
Going "home" again October 26th!
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

My husband is from Michigan, a little bit north of Detroit. I get a kick out of his family saying they are going "Up North". For the longest time I had no clue what they were talking about. I'm a Virginia girl, taken sometime to figure out the lingo. We keep talking about a trip "UP NORTH" so I would love to hear about it.

Sandy
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Just a little pressure, Waterguy. Where is your trip report? I will work on my Girls (8 of us) getaway weekend to the Finger Lakes if you work on yours - deal? I'm trying to get my friends to send me the links to their photos so I can do a TR with photos. I only have 3 pictures on my BB that I have to post somewhere.
NancyB
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I have most of the writing done I have to down load the pictures and then I'll post it.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

Good news! I've been watching for it too, WG. :D

*Edited to add an "s" to news. Looked funny without it.
Last edited by pjayer on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

"All Summer Long" is one of my favorite songs. Maybe it's because Bobby isn't that much older than me, so I grew up during that same time out on the lake. I remember late-night bonfires after football games, and the summer trips for waterskiing and exploring.

But, perhaps the most important question here is:

Did you bring us back some fudge?

Actually, I think I might go over to Kilwin's Web site and have them send some!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Yup I brought back a couple of pounds.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

That settles it. I am totally going over to the Kilwin's web site and getting some fudge. I'm having a craving now.

Funny story. A few weeks ago, I went to Gatlinburg for work and the girl at the fudge shop said something (I don't remember what) about Mackinac Island fudge, and I mentioned being from Michigan and growing up on it.

She then started to convince me that Gatlinburg fudge was better, like she thought I might get in my car and drive to Michigan to get my fudge instead.

When I need chocolate, it's all good.

What I really miss - Mackinac Island Fudge ice cream, which is my favorite and not available here :(
brenda

Post by brenda »

Lulu, I watched the making of the video on You Tube. It was actually filmed in Tennessee but the concept still works to bring back the Northern Michigan memories.

Waiting for the TR :) .
Going "home" again October 26th!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Yeah, Kid Rock has a place here in Nashville. I used to live about 2 blocks from him, but I moved from the swanky part of town to the 'hood, so I don't see him anymore. I did get an e-mail about the video -- they filmed it at Percy Priest Lake, I think.

That song just reminds me of summers Up North. People have cottages and cabins around here, but it's just not the same...
JT

Post by JT »

My wife's family is from the Iron Mountain area, actually a little town called Norway. Though we've been across the UP we never went to Mackinac.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I think I like Copper Harbor the best, although all of the UP is great!
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I lived in Calumet for a year. Brrrr!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:27 pm.