DELETED

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
RickG

Post by RickG »

I'm paying $3.65 in NoVa for diesel. I bought the Jetta TDI for $15K. It's a pretty good deal for me. I looked at the Prius and can pretty close to buying a new one. The battery issue was what held me back. Also, the plug-in rechargeable version will be out Fall 2009 and that will kil resale values on the old versions.

The new Jetta TDI is very nice and 50 state pollution compliant. They are going to take that engine through the full VW built product line. The Audi-built VW branded vehicles will get the Audi diesel a year later.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
MrB

Post by MrB »

Ya know...the Smart Turbo Diesel is supposed to come out next year. They are also apparently working on a full electric plug-in with solar roof, and wind turbines in the bodywork to extend the range!! They are predicting 80mpg for the diesel, and a 200 mile range for the electric.
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

I looked at the Prius and can pretty close to buying a new one. The battery issue was what held me back. Also, the plug-in rechargeable version will be out Fall 2009 and that will kil resale values on the old versions.

RickG - Can you tell me more about the 2009 plug in you mention above?
I had heard the same but couldn't find any info. Have been looking at Prius for next year, waiting for the election and financial crisis to settle down before commiting.
I didn't think the 2010 would be ready for plug in yet, based on the forums I have been reading. So would be curious to know more. Of course I could have asked the dealer when I was there, but that makes far to much sense! Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Oh and gas in southern CT, think was around 2.99 over the weekend, not sure about today.
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

I can't wait for the Plug-in Escape/Mariner to be ready in a couple of years. I'll drive my regular Mariner hybrid until then. It won't go as far as the prius plug-in, up to 40 miles on all electric before hybrid mode kicks in, but then again, it's alot bigger than a prius.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Rebubula (great forum name!!), What I've read is that the 2010 (available Fall 2009) Prius will have a plug-in option that gets you 40 miles on full electric. That's pretty cool considering I rarely drive more than 40 miles. Add the fact that we only pay $0.07 per kWh then its a pretty good deal.

This is a relatively expensive proposition since you either need two battery packs or a lithium ion pack. If they can engineer a lithium ion pack that does not explode on impact that would be way cool. The two NiMH batteries would take up about half of the existing trunk space.

gymnastika, we have two friends with Escape Hybrids and they love them.

This conversation, for me, revolves around cost per mile. Diesels win the race due to the higher purchase price of a hybrid. If you look at pump prices alone you get fooled. The plug-in options could change this and make the plug-ins more economical, unless you are paying USVI electric prices.

People seem to be getting the same ideas regarding diesels. The resale prices in my area are up $1,500 since the spring, for my year and model.

Another thing to consider is that the service life of a turbo diesel is 200,000+ miles. The turbo will last well as long as you keep the oil fresh and use synthetic oil.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

I'm on my third VW, non deisel but the gas powered Jetta can do 37 on the highway at speeds I take the 5th on. :-)
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I notices a sign for $2.35 for regular on my way to the airport this (early, early , early) morning. Most of the signs are in the $2.40 to $2.50 range.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

augie

Post by augie »

We're just now seeing prices as low as the $2.80-$2.90 range here.
Come see us!
linne

Post by linne »

Hi!
Just want to tell that gas has been cheaper in DK too.Now it ONLY cost about 6,5 US dollars for a gallon. Diesel is about 10% cheaper.

But it's crazy here. Sometimes they change the price several times during the day. You never know what to expect. Is that the same by you?

Linne
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

In my state, NY ,prices can only change once a day. I seem to remember a law that said they could not change more than 5 cents per day, but recently we had a nine cent hike in one day. I tried to find the rule, but was unable to.
NoTanLines

Post by NoTanLines »

Friday, I filled up for $2.69 at the 7-Eleven near my office (Sterling, VA. Today it's at $2.50. 8)
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Today at a Sam's club, I paid $2.59 for regular and noticed premium was $2.89. That's the first I have seen premium under $3. Hope it ALL keeps dropping!