Whoooh Whoooh.....back after a long absence!

Travel discussion for St. John
David- n Hampton, VA

Whoooh Whoooh.....back after a long absence!

Post by David- n Hampton, VA »

Hi Everyone, Been absent from the forum for a couple years, and it is great to be back among friends and friendly strangers.

Planning a trip down in May (1-11) to St. John. First trip in May (normally go in the late Aug early Sep window...but with so many storms lately....who wants to chance it!).

Staying in Sea Stone again......what a great villa that one is. Can't wait to see if the same Iguanas are still there.

Whoooh Whoooh!!!!! Can't wait. Tickets purchased, Villa paid for.........now all I have to do is pack. You guys think it is too early?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

woo hoo! good to have a trip on the books isn't it?
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Very cool...where are ya'll flying out? We're in Chesapeake and six of us have a 10 day trip planned for June. When we flew out in 2003 tickets out of Norfolk were $350.00 round trip, when we went in 2007 we spent about $720.00/person...I kind of feel like it will be the same unless we fly out of DC...not really liking that idea...
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

David....we loved going in May! It was a great time of year to go - so much so we're going back again May 09. Enjoy your trip!
David- n Hampton, VA

Leaving from Norfolk

Well, I found the same huge differences in prices. In fact, the best I could do this year leaving out of Norfolk and getting there in time to get across to meet my “guide” up to the villa before their office closed is 755 round trip. Wow. That is coach....

Almost cheaper to take my boat down the ICW....fight off the pirates (if any) rounding Cuba...and power on over to the USVI. (Course there is that whole 15 day trip thingy....just to get there.)

Pianogrl, I am looking forward to a May trip. In the past trips.....while we had the beaches essentially to ourselves (and I literally mean all to ourselves), some of the places we wanted to eat at, or see were closed. So, I think everything is still open for business in early May.

Plus the weather looks about the same. I hope the water is. There isn’t much better than swimming around in that crystal clear water and then to have the temperature like a bath tub....hard to beat that.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

David,
We stayed at Sea Stone this past June. Not sure how many iguanas you were used to seeing there but we only saw 3 or 4 on the property. There was a male iguana that stood out most (he seemed to be the man of the house) and we called him "Mr. Iggy". We thought he was a character and loved watching him.

Mr. Iggy
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Yeah, I figure it will still be expensive to fly...but its SOOOOOOOOOO worth it. :D
I was in St Criox for work a couple years ago in May. The weather was nice. We always go Late June early July. Our daughter LOVES the Carnival. Lots of fun stuff for her to do... :wink:
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Welcome back David! I've been twice in May and going back next year the end of April/beginning of May! The weather has always been perfect and the water warm! May is an awesome time to visit the VI's!
David- n Hampton, VA

California Girl! nice to see your still on here!

I can't wait to get down there again. I need the break from all these problems the nation seems to be having.

Pickle, we had about ten. They were all over the place. Wouldn't even let us sit out on the point there in the beach chairs. That big male was there though. Thought he owned the place. (Heck, maybe he does!) Haad his smaller brother jump in the pull and get sucked into the filter. Really. I had to rescue the stupid critter. By the time I got him out, he was so weak, he sank to the bottom and couldn't swim up for air. I had to fish him out of there with the cleaning net. Saved him though. He spent about an hour "recovering" on the side of the pool before he finally limped off home.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

OMG David! I remember you telling that story about the iguana in the pool! Has it been THAT long? I must get a life, someday!
hawksnestbay

OOPS... nevermind.

Post by hawksnestbay »

So, who you votin' for?
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

lol Hawk
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

David- n Hampton, VA wrote: Pickle, we had about ten. They were all over the place. Wouldn't even let us sit out on the point there in the beach chairs. That big male was there though. Thought he owned the place. (Heck, maybe he does!) Haad his smaller brother jump in the pull and get sucked into the filter. Really. I had to rescue the stupid critter. By the time I got him out, he was so weak, he sank to the bottom and couldn't swim up for air. I had to fish him out of there with the cleaning net. Saved him though. He spent about an hour "recovering" on the side of the pool before he finally limped off home.
How dumb of him to get sucked into the filter! It must've been a hassle for you but I'm so glad that you saved the little critter.

The place was definitely NOT over-run by iguanas anymore - or at least when we were there 4 months ago. Other than Mr. Iggy, there were a few low-key ones and they all behaved fairly well around us. You can use any chairs you want to sit and relax watching as a sail boat goes by and listening to the surf breaking below... well, possibly with an iguana or two by your side :wink: .

Hope you'll have a wonderful trip back to Sea Stone and the island.
RickG

Post by RickG »

I've always wanted to stay there, but I was afraid my red toenail polish would cause the iguanas to attack me!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED