An Evening with David Crosby and Graham Nash

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
jimg20

An Evening with David Crosby and Graham Nash

Post by jimg20 »

When I got here to Ithaca, NY I was told to got to the Commons for a restaurant at dinner time. When I go to that area I noticed the sign on the State Theater had a great show planned for last night. I bought one of the last tickets and saw an outstanding show. They were on stage for two three-hour sessions separated by a 20-minute break. They did some of the old favorites along with new material. They started off with "I Used to be King." They also included "Long Time Gone", "Just a Song", and "Deja Vu." They have a great story about the origin of "Just a Song" that you'll have to hear.

They told a funny story during the second set. Graham Nash said that a study was done by a "promenant Ithaca university" that 40% of young women who lost their virginity between 1969 and 1974 did so while listening to this next song. They denied having very much to do with that. They then played "Our House."

The Encore included "Wooden Ships" and "Teach Your Children."

They have adopted technology in a great way. You can buy a copy of the show that you are watching by paying for a USB thumb drive in a bracelet containing the show. It is fed to the vendor directly from the mixing board and available withing about 15 minutes after the show ends. Crosby pointed out that the audio is a high quality. "It's not something recorded by a microphone hidden in someone's hat who is sitting next to a talkative blue-haired woman or getting beer poured on it during the show."

If you get the chance you should go. Their voices and the sound of the four band members are ecellent.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

mrsb

Post by mrsb »

:? I need to get out more. Tell the story. I love that song. It's my vacation start off song on the plane.
When will I see St John again?
jmq

Post by jmq »

That sounds like a great show and very cool option to get a digital copy of it right away. Thanks for sharing.

Always enjoy songwriters in an unplugged sort of format. Saw Neil Young do a segment of a Crazy Horse concert where he just came out with an acoustic guitar and harmonica and took requests from the audience. Saw Roger McGuinn (Byrds) solo acoustic and the Ray Davies (Kinks) acoustic Storyteller tour.
Didn't VH1 have a series of the same name? Does MTV still do their Unplugged series? (showing my age - dont think MTV does ANY music anymore).
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide