Trip Report Day 2, STT to STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
toni

Trip Report Day 2, STT to STJ

Post by toni »

Beautiful sunrise (how can it not be, it's 80+ already!) I love getting up early and watching sunrises. Mike stays in for a few more hours, but I'm up taking pictures. A stray shower here and there just makes for better pictures in my opinion. I love watching the big cruise ships come into Charlotte Amalie, and watching the seaplanes take off too.

We grab breakfast at the Crystal Palace since it's all included in the price; eat on the patio and watch the world go by. Ronnie's place is quite booked, so prior to heading downtown for the shopping sites we pack up and are able to leave our luggage there while we go around. We're scheduled to take the 3pm ferry to STJ.

We hoof it over to Havensight to check out the big yacht (plus we just like walking around). Actually it's 'cause I remembered there being a Cold Stone Creamery over there and darn it, it's not there anymore!!! We head back to the jewelry stores (Ronnie recommended Imperial Jewelers I believe), but didn't really see anything I had to have. After spending $$ on a better place on STJ this year, I didn't feel right about buying more jewelry :( Darn conscience!

We hung out for a while at the Hungry Buzzard, a bar/eatery right on the main drag. We've eaten/drunk there before, and it's just a nice small place to put your sore feet up and people watch. Walked around some more and then ate at Glady's for a late lunch. This is a repeat too, and also recommended-yummy local food-and boy those hot sauces!! Just a few drops will knock your socks off.

Got our luggage from the Palace, and caught the 3pm Ferry over. We took the ferry once when it was choppy and rainy and I felt really nauseous then, so I always take Bonine now, even if the weather's great-better safe than sorry! I love sitting up top and watching STJ come into view. Always interesting to see the changes (unfortunately some aren't pretty!)

We had rented St. John Passion on Rendezvous/Monte Bay through VIVA Villas. I've written a brief report under the villa review section, so won't repeat too much of it here. We'd never used VIVA before, but have only positive things to say about them. They had a greeter meet us at the ferry. Her name was Yasi. We'd rented our car through Conrad Sutton. Had used him before w/o any problems, and really like being able to park at his lot. We got a 2 door Suzuki Vitara which was green (had originally been red) had an undetermined # of miles on it since the dash was filmed over and we couldn't read it, and had a check engine light that was always lit, but we were told not to worry about it. Other than struggling up some of the hills (a six cyl comes in handier for this) it served us just fine.

We'd never stayed on this side of the island before and really weren't that familiar with it. Last time on STJ we'd driven out this way once, and just remembered it being dirt roads. (I think we'd been on Fish Bay Road). St. John Passion is off Gifft Hill Road first turn to the right just above Fish Bay Road. It's a 3 bed/3 bath charmer, pretty private.

House has a very caribbean/west indies feel to it-yellow's and blues. Amazing views from all rooms. Yasi did a great job explaining everything to us, and VIVA had two notebooks prepared, one on the house and one on the island. House had lush landscaping around it, beautiful flowering bouganvilla (sp?) and the service had cut fresh sprays to put in all the rooms. There was a midweek maid service which was nice, and the landscaping maintenance people also came. VIVA even checked back with us on Monday to make sure everything was all right and working fine. They'd also left snacks/beer/rum in the fridge from Katilady services which was nice. They keep an honor bar-basically people buy liquor, leave what's open, and if you finish a bottle you're responsible to buy another. Only bad thing we immediately noticed was they didn't supply any soap for the bathrooms!
Tipped Yasi for her help (she was very nice), explored the villa and oohed and aahed over the incredible view.

One of the best things we liked about this place was the fact we found it got sun from 7am to 6pm. The pool was cool, but warm enough after sitting out to thoroughly enjoy, and the hot tub was hot whenever we needed it to be. Plus it's a very quiet area, in fact Yasi told us that after a certain hour you couldn't play loud music (didn't matter we were in bed probably by 9 every night!) :lol: We're not party animals. Which is why, with every intention to go to the Beach Bar for the forum gathering, we instead went to Starfish, got a few perishables, headed back to the villa and hit the hot tub (it was now about 7 or so). I'm sure we missed meeting some very nice people!

Another day ends....
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

Great start, looking forward to the next additions. Sounds like Villa Gravity got hold of you.
Bob & Anita
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Oh ya - this is sounding like a great time. Let's hear more.

A two tone Jeep - I guess that's one way to see the new dents. Bring on the next installment.

Thanks
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Can't wait to hear more..................

Sorry you guys didn't make it to the Beach Bar, it WAS a very nice afternoon/evening. We left the gang at 6:30, watched the parade, went to Bill & Sandies for dinner & a nice evening, and were STILL home & in bed by 9pm!!!! Is it the air?? One night Mike went to be at 8:30 (claimed he snorkled too hard).

Know what you mean about dinners at the villa, TOO nice!

Again, I'm sorry we missed you, looking forward to hearing more!

Jan (akaCharlie)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Bob & Anita wrote: Sounds like Villa Gravity got hold of you.
I just love that term - "Villa Gravity". I think if I ever built a villa on STJ I'd have to name it Villa Gravity! :lol:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:57 am.