DELETED

Travel discussion for St. John
DELETED

when cooking in your villa what do you look for.....HELP !!

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

Let's see - I need a large lidded pot for pasta, a colander to strain stuff, some cookie sheets, cooking utensils (spoons, whisk, pancake turners, etc - I bought my son a decent set at Target that included the essentials), decent knives, can opener, vegetable peeler, tongs, and measuring cups (liquid and dry) and spoons. I like a lid for my frying pans if that is an option for you. Also, I would go with a larger skillet rather than 2 so close in size. I agree on the steamer!

Not sure what else I would consider essential in terms of utensils. I assume you're getting a toaster, coffee pot, blender, etc.

Good luck and have fun! Don't go overboard though.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

A roasting pan, mixing bowls, a good set of knives, measuring cup, peeler, grater, collander, cookie sheets, yes I know that sounds weird, muffin pan, I like to make pancakes on vacation so a flat grildle of some kind is nice. I make pasta, so a pot big enough to cook spagetti (and not after breaking it in half... a sacraledge in my view). This is a wish list of course.
RickG

Post by RickG »

8-9" chef's knife - Farberware carbon steel is cheap, buy extras

Sharpening stone - inexpensive water stone, can sharpen the above knife in 90 seconds

Nesting set of stainless steel bowls

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Pia

Post by Pia »

Can opener(s), Blender(s), Coffee Pot, Coffee Grinder, Waffle Iron (right MB :wink: ) Griddle, Kettle, Wine Bottle Stoppers, Toaster, Wine Opener, measuring cups, ...I'm sure I'll have more but that's a start :)

Pia
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Pia wrote:Can opener(s), Blender(s), Coffee Pot, Coffee Grinder, Waffle Iron (right MB :wink: ) Griddle, Kettle, Wine Bottle Stoppers, Toaster, Wine Opener, measuring cups, ...I'm sure I'll have more but that's a start :)

Pia
I'm the one with the coffee grinder not the waffle iron ;) Thanks for thinking of me!
loria

Post by loria »

i would add a smaller pot/pan as well
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
patr

Post by patr »

Count me in with the waffle iron! Not so much on the coffee grinder - sorry MB.

Don't forget the all important blender - gotta make those beverages! :wink:
Patr

~~Longing to be back on St. John~~
Pia

Post by Pia »

As soon as I posted I thought "dummy - coffee grinder not waffle iron" but hey least I know your here on a Saturday - reading with the rest of us - happy weekend MB :)

Pia
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

you too girl! I'm just popping in! Got a soup going in the crock pot and doing some menu planning for next week :)
nothintolose

Post by nothintolose »

Blender(s), storage containers to keep leftovers, all of the only other thing would be some pitchers or some kind of containers to keep drinks that you make up like iced tea or kool aid or whatever. We made iced coffee to last the whole trip but didn't realize that there was no container to keep it in the fridge in.
"Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die" - Dave Matthews Band
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

A bottle opener with a "bottle cap" end and a "pointy" end.
brenda

Post by brenda »

I agree with all of the suggestions. The one thing I missed at Gallow's Point was the complete lack of storage containers. I can be a little frugal with leftovers and hate for stuff to get dried out. For example, we always have Cafe Roma leftovers, just might not want to eat it the next day. I just picked up a few medium sized Gladware containers and will leave them there.
Going "home" again October 26th!
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

corkscrew
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED