Spice Blend for Veggies?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
ms411

Spice Blend for Veggies?

Post by ms411 »

Does anyone have a St John Spice favorite for veggies? I can't take too many more plain ones!

Thanks.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
loria

Post by loria »

this isn't STJspice specific, but depending on the veggie, i like a bit of garlic powder and herbs de provence (good on green beans or broccoli )
carrots and abit of cumin and/or curry or carrots and sage. peas, well I never spice peas (though some swear by mint) i am a pea purist!--particularly in the early summer!!! :D
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Pia

Post by Pia »

I replied on the "other" forum - but here goes again (:)) Cruz Bay Grill Rub on green beans....fabulous :)

pia
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I like to keep things as simple as possible and highlight the taste of the veggie instead of hiding it:

Asparagus- toss with little bit of olive oil, salt pepper, then roast in oven til just bendy, still crisp.

Broccolli- Cut small, Saute with little bit of olive or vegetable oil, little salt, pepper, sliced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, little bit o butter at the end. I add a bit o soy sauce if making terriyaki chicken with it. If your cuts are not getting tender, add a little water to steam and help the tenderizing process.

Corn- saute with wee bit o bacon pieces, red & green pepper, salt, tiny sliver o butter at near end.

And, to add some fun to any veggie dish, saute shallots & garlic in wee bit o both oil & butter, add some chicken stock (with a bit o balsamic maybe too), reduce to your liking.

I just did the shallot thing but reduced a bit too much so, no sauce, but really yummy carmalized shallots!!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:34 pm.