Small snorkel fins/bag - help

Travel discussion for St. John
Ms.Montana

Small snorkel fins/bag - help

Post by Ms.Montana »

I'm a rookie when it comes to snorkeling so I'm not sure they even make what I'm wondering about. We have full sized fins now but want to carry them on the plane in January. I am wondering if there are smaller fins available to make carry on easier. If there is such a thing are they any good? I'm in Montana so I'd have to order them. I'd also need to get a bag that will carry two sets of fins and two masks and still be considered one carry on.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Yes, there are smaller fins available and in fact, we have them. Got them years ago so I don't know which website it was. They are perfect for traveling. If no one else responds, I'll dig them out of storage and see if I can find a brand name. We've been really pleased with them.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

US Divers offers 2 shorter fins. Just got the Shredder II surf fins for my son. Campmor has them for $34.99.
Roberto

Post by Roberto »

We switched to Force fins to solve the size/length issue. Purchased on ebay.
Lex

Post by Lex »

We just bring our masks and rent fins when we get where we're going. I can always find a pair of fins that I'm satisfied with and it avoids dealing with them as luggage.
jmq

Post by jmq »

This mesh bag is not especially cheap but is a very well made and very well/ergonomically designed. It holds our 3 sets of snorkel gear and shorter fins, underwater camera, has pouch for water bottle, and plastic lined inside pouch for keys etc. I carry it on. I dont know why it looks sorta huge on the model in the picture - maybe she is short...but it is the perfect size for the 3 of us.

http://www.ameribag.com/catalog/product/34

We've had the where to buy? and bring your fins vs the rent the fins? and full foot fin vs. strap fin and use of booties with fins etc. threads here before. Do a search and they will pop up.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

I have some cheap Body Glove fins that are pretty short and I have been very happy with them. I also find that they fit easily into my clothing carry-on, along with my mask and snorkel, so they don't require their own carry-on bag.
Marsh810

Post by Marsh810 »

Just got these in the mail for Jan trip...Haven't tried them yet but quality looks good and reviews on Amazon were good....

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Lung-Sport-D ... 18&sr=1-11

Marcia
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

I'm curious does anyone just not use fins. I have never used them and seem to have no problem getting around and I snorkel alot. Swimming in salt water is about as easy as is gets. If I want to cover some ground quik I just scissor kick with legs and arms without much effort. I love that I can get into 2 ft of water and not worry about breaking off coral with fins. Hawknest comes to mind, on a calm day I can go right up the gut of that center reef that would not be advisable with fins. Can see the need for fins if your going to be free diving the depths.
BOATSRUS

Post by BOATSRUS »

After last year when I had a busted flipper and couldn't get a fin on I discovered that I could swim just fine without them...But as any of you know who have met me, I do have wide-a$$ feet and have been accused of them being webbed as well.':shock:'!..I haven't used fins since, and just having a mask and snorkle in the carry-on works for me...I like to just putt along anyway, seem to always see more that way
I'd rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks
Lex

Post by Lex »

A few years ago I was getting a blister from my fins, so I just decided to take them off and snorkel without them. I'd never snorkeled without fins before and I was surprised to discover how much more work it was.

I do have a friend who occasionally just uses goggles. No mask, no snorkel tube, no fins. He's one of those partially amphibian types who can hold his breath for an astonishingly long time.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Remember you can always cut them to a shorter length. Both my girls did that during their competitive swimming days. Good old black rubber speedo fins cut nicely & you can make a pattern to identify yours!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:17 pm.