Without you there would be no gifts .......

Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Without you there would be no gifts .......

Post by Pia »

Hi everyone

I just spoke to Joe about dropping off the last box of toys that arrived for the children while I was gone (thank you Murf :) ) and he said to pass on a message and a huge THANK YOU - he said that without the forum they had nothing - they had 6 or 7 collection points across the island and they collected nothing so a trip to STT is needed as there are still children that they do not have gifts but again without the generous forum the situation would have been much, much, much , much worse - so from all of us on St John A HUGE THANK YOU IS BEING SENT FROM ME AND ALL THE CHILDREN ALONG WITH HUGS AND KISSES :)

Sunday is the day Santa arrives and I hope this year to go and take some photos for you all to see :)

Thanks again everyone

Luv Pia
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

oh that's awful. I wish I had sent more but I was afraid with the time line I wouldn't get it there in time.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

That is really terrible. It seems to be universal this year. Toys for Tots donations are really down stateside. We usually collect for them at our office holiday party but were told we cannot this year because some people are feeling too much pressure financially. Such a shame.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
loria

Post by loria »

Wait, Pia, SUNDAY??? as in SUNDAY the 21st???????

I thought they had to get there the first week of december?

Can you let me know--I will be there Friday and can Certainly bring stuff with me! (and would Love to do so)

please let me know
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

Such a shame to hear no one on island helped but I am so glad we were able to do something for the kids! Pia - thank you for your efforts and I do hope we get to see some photos. I wish there was time to send more for the kids.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Pia,

Where will they go shopping on STT? Is there a Costco or a Walmart, something like that? What I'm wondering is whether we can order stuff online for pickup in STT. (I did a quick Google on shopping in STT, but just got back lots of foofy stuff like jewelry, which I'm sure the kids don't need!)
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Maybe we should think about making donations to toy drive in STJ instead of an ornament exchange next year.
If all the people that participated in the swap were to donate $10, I am sure that they could purchase a ton of stuff for the on island kids.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Xislandgirl wrote:Maybe we should think about making donations to toy drive in STJ instead of an ornament exchange next year.
If all the people that participated in the swap were to donate $10, I am sure that they could purchase a ton of stuff for the on island kids.
ok by me. although Pia did say that the kids noticed the "stateside" gifts. maybe we can collect and place one large order some where.
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

mbw1024 wrote:
Xislandgirl wrote:Maybe we should think about making donations to toy drive in STJ instead of an ornament exchange next year.

That is a GREAT idea X!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Oh I am so bummed now. I did not get you my gifts in time since you were heading out. Is there anything I can do at this point? I would be willing to send a donation of money if that is still needed. And X - I think that is a great idea (although I love my ornaments!)

Tracy
augie

Post by augie »

Yeah, me too - by the time I saw the "last call for gifts" post (which was the first one I saw) it was too late to shop/wrap/mail in time.

Maybe the first notice went out before we got back from our trip?

Like Tracy said, if there's any way we can still contribute to the cause at this late date, please let us know!
Come see us!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Augie, you were gone when she first mentioned it because it was right before I left. But I totally could've sent something if I'd realized they were giving the gifts out later this year. I have been trying to find all the deals at Toys R Us, but whoever said about the Toys for Tots donations is right. Our bin at Toys R Us only got filled up once (last year there were probably eight bins) and no one is donating through the cash register this year.

And all that stinks, because children think Toys come from Santa's workshop and don't understand about recessions and cutting back.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Hi everyone

OK, first of all I want to thank everyone for trying to help :)

In the beginning (oh it sounds like I'm in church :) ) I was told the party where Santa was to be giving out the gifts, was scheduled "probably" for last week, and because I didn't get back until Monday I posted that the gifts would need to be here before hubby left on Dec 5th (I left on Thanksgiving) so they would be here in time.

I called today as a new box of toys had arrived while we were on vacation, and found out that they have now scheduled Santa for this Sunday :)

Joe has left for the day, but I will call him now if I can get him on his cell phone and see if there is anyway we can help - I'm sure he will appreciate all of your offers.

Thanks again and I'll post as soon as I hear :)
Terry

Post by Terry »

... and if it's really to late for gifts, how about donations to local charities, or college scholarship funds?

Just an idea..
byado18

Post by byado18 »

I'm on island and can help more if you let me know how---also where and when is the party...I would love to see all the smiling faces!