Grandma Raised The Roof....

Travel discussion for St. John
parafins

Grandma Raised The Roof....

Post by parafins »

Has anyone read "Grandma Raised The Roof" by Grandma McCully? Well if luck has it I will next week.In the past I considered purchasing a old copy,but the price was a bit high.So I called my local library and they are bringing in one from a larger one.So we shall see if it's a good read.... :D Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I want to read the book. I keep thinking I should have the local library get it thru interlibrary loan.

Please post your thoughts after reading.
INfamily

Post by INfamily »

A friend of mine lived on the island in the 70's and was a friend of the author. I have read her copy, which has a collection of notes written to my friend by Ethel tucked between the pages.
parafins

The book arrived!

Post by parafins »

The book arrived on the 23rd.Just in time for Christmas!!To my supprise,there are a few pics of the construction of "Island Fancy." I think I might try to post them. :D Also I would like to thank the gal from Indiana who spoke about her mother's friendship with Ethel.I'll be those letters would be a good read!Ethel may just be my favorite character from St.John.Merry Christmas Parafins....
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
INfamily

Post by INfamily »

Enjoy the book! I'd love to know exactly where Island Fancy was located, or if there is anything remaining of the house. Also, Ethel held her own wake at Caneel Bay.......she didn't want to miss any of the fun. I hear the party was legendary.
parafins

Island Fancy

Post by parafins »

Infamily,From what i've been told Island Fancy still stands.The park system now owns it.Ethel said the house stood above a beach.I'm not sure what the name of that beach is,but it's between Francis and Little Maho I didn't even know it existed until I returned from a kyack trip from Whistling Cay back in July of 2007.There it was, a little sandy beach.The book is a great read!!Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
claire

grandma raised the roof

Post by claire »

On my first trip to st john over 15 years ago, a friend was a lifeguard on Trunk and was living in the home. The story of Ms McCully and how she arrived on St John, jumping from a boat passing the island is a wonderful one. The home is now owned by the National Park but is in wonderful condition. The front iron entry gate to the house I believe was done by Puerto Rican iron workers. The house has a terraced flower beds/landscape that fall toward the beach that was originally filled with Ms Mccully's flowers. She also had a large amount of fruit trees on the property. As i mentioned the house is in great condition. The large back porch looking out over the water that holds the original still working cistern, the large open kitchen, it is a blessing the house has survived so beautifully. There is a private trail leading from the terraced garden that is shaded that leads you to the private beachfront. A very quiet and peaceful bay. A very special house, a veruy special lady, a very special island. By the way you must also read "My Beloved Virgin".
INfamily

Post by INfamily »

Does anyone know what road or trail to take to try to look at the home? We are going to St John in March and I'd love to check it out.
parafins

Island Fancy

Post by parafins »

Infamily,if you do find the location,I would just love to see updated pics of the gate and the exterior.Maybe the park service could help on the location?Or Maho Bay Campground as well.I would be willing to bet,that you head down the road toward Francis bay,turn left to go to Maho Camps and it might be somewhere on the right.I thought it was next to the Maho camp property.Parafins P.S. I hope you have better weather than myself today.It's all wet ice and it's a mess!We live near the Michigan/Indiana line,and I work in Elkhart,In.Good thing I'm off for the holidays! :D Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
INfamily

Post by INfamily »

I'll try to find out the location from the park service office. Last spring we went to the library in the hope that someone there could help us, but they couldn't help us.
hugo

Post by hugo »

You bear right at the top of the hill just before Maho camp, and go down the hill to the north. It is right above teeny-weeny Maho, the beach between little Maho and Francis.
You can see it pretty well from the overlook across the bay....the roof used to be red, but now it's white.
The Park usually has personnel living there, so please remember that people who live here are not thrilled to have sightseers peering in, taking pictures, etc., although Ethel would be very pleased that people are still talking about her...as my brother used to say, "she was a legend in her own mind"....she was not, as I pointed out here before. particularly well-liked, but everyone went to her parties anyway!
Kathleen Brueckner

Grandma Raised the Rood

Post by Kathleen Brueckner »

Hello, I am one of the granddaughters of Ethel Walbridge McCully, author of "Grandma Raised the Roof." First, I must caution anyone: do not post any pictures from the book online. The entire book, including the photographs, is copyrighted. I currently hold the copyright and I am re-writing the book. My grandmother's time-line is a bit confusing so I am doing an edit. I am also adding a prologue and an epilogue. There are a couple of publishers interested.
Ethel Walbridge McCully's granddaughter
parafins

Book...

Post by parafins »

If you can,please keep the forum updated on the progress of you book. I very much enjoyed the orgininal and would like the wish you the best in this updated edition. Parafins
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Kathleen,

Thanks for updating us on your work. Please let us know when you expect to complete the new edition. We would like to have a copy. If you keep us informed through this forum, I am certain that several of us would like to have a copy.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

INfamily

Post by INfamily »

I, also, would love to buy a copy of the newly printed book. A friend of mine, who lived on the island in the 1960s and 70s, knew Ethel and would love one also. Her old copy of the book (which she loaned me) has a few notes and invitations dating back to their time on-island, which Ethel sent them. She is quite a legend, and it would be great to "get all the stories straight".