Need advice from cat owners

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Our previous cat, Bob, was about a year old and "unfixed" when we rescued him. He was a terror! He ended up spending his first weekend with us in our mini truck camper shell with adequate food & water, air and litter box, and he went directly to the vet on Monday morning! About 2 weeks after his little operation he began to mellow right out and became the most wonderful cat you'd ever like to know!

When he died last April, we adopted two new kitties. Both males and a year old. They were fixed and had spent their entire lives in a cage at Petco. They knew NOTHING about house rules, or flies, or birds! They are allowed to go out in our 2 patios under supervision, and we have trained them that jumping up on the fence is not a good thing to do. They are fairly trustworthy at staying in the patio, but if there is a discipline issue, the squirt bottle is very effective. I don't even have to hit the cat with it, just near to them is enough to get them to stop what they're doing and go the other way.

I heartily agree with having two cats, they really do keep each other busy and out of trouble around the house!
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Kathyzhere wrote:Hey LuLu I never tried the cardboard scratchers, but will try it out this weekend, thanks.
I don't know if you have Dollar General there, but I got mine for four bucks there. I've also seen them at Target for $5.99. It is just a piece of cardboard that you sit on the floor, and my cat loves it.

I have always got those big, carpet covered scratchers that cost a fortune and have the toys hanging all over them. When I took Portia in, I was broke because I'd just paid for my trip to STJ. I didn't have enough for that scratcher, so I just bought the only one I can afford. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

My cats have both a cardboard one and a tree. They use both, but they seem to use the cardboard one more often. >^..^<
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Thanks so much for all the responses! Good to know there's hope... though I do hope he doesn't turn out to be one of those cats that HAS to be outside.

We're going to wait until the 6 month mark before we get him neutered. I get what you're all saying, but I just feel I should wait until he's a little more mature and developed. Besides, it's only another couple of weeks, I think I can survive... :lol:

The good news is that we have finally found a toy that completely wears him out. It's a long fleecy "feather" on a stick, with feathers attached to the end. He'll chase that thing until he just wears himself out - which means he's too tired to attack me! Yahoo! And he loves the thing - I caught him up on the bookcase trying to knock it to the floor to play this morning.

And thanks for the advice about getting him a buddy. I feel much better knowing we don't have to get another litter box if we do (seriously, we have NO room for another one. His is an issue enough!). And surprisingly, my hubs isn't entirely against the idea of a 2nd cat - he's fallen for this little guy, so now he understands how great cats are! Yippee!!

Thanks again. I knew you guys would be able to help. I really do appreciate it!
MrB

Post by MrB »

Some cats are just insane. They can live in the lap of luxury, with all the tricks and toys, and still be insane.

This is one of them....the first time I met her, I was up standing on a chair in 2 sec!

Say hello to Chessie.....

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1BSd5DxKHxc"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1BSd5DxKHxc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>
Chet

Post by Chet »

Say hello to Chessie.....
"Say hello to my leetle fren."
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

What MrB did not mention is that I was the first one to meet this cat. At the meeting she was pleasant and let me pet her. The owners were commenting in amazement at how friendly she was to me and I thought maybe she was usually shy. The owners called as they were leaving to assure me that she is not an attack cat. I thought nothing of that comment. Upon entering and leaving I had to set an alarm which was by her "territory". When I left after the first visit I was shaking and my heart was beating so fast. I told my business partners about this and they said "Oh, come on, you are exaggerating. I can't believe you are scared of a cat." Well, they came, they saw, they were up on a chair afraid of this feline. She's declawed so she can't scratch you. She does try to get the high ground and stalks you while you are there which is kinda creepy. Oh, it's funny-NOW!
When will I see St John again?
Connie

Post by Connie »

LOL...MrB....

Chessie needs to meet Tiki :D
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

MrsB, Chessie would freak me out. I feel sorry for her but I don't know if I could deal with a cat stalking me. I have 2 cats - my Sparky is crazy but in a way that most people would never tolerate but I do. The things we do for our pets - it's amazing!
NancyB
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Portia is still eating me out of house and home. All I do is buy litter and food.

Now, if she only has dry food, she stands in the kitchen and cries until I give her one of those pouches.
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

I would take Portia to get tested. If she's drinking a lot of water too, then that is a sign of diabetes. Good luck with her.
NancyB
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

She doesn't drink much water at all. I definitely change her food dish much more frequently.

I need to find a vet. The last time she went to the vet, it was just the one at Petsmart.
toni

Post by toni »

I always watch for the big black eyes on a kitty-I've had a few in the past and that was how I judged when I was going to get it-their pupils would get huge!

The things we do for out buddies-my oldest cat (named Mouse-because she loves PB) is 19 now; I picked her out at the shelter as a kitten-her litter mates all were at the front of the cage purring and wanting attention and she was at the back spitting at me-I like a cat with personality!

Good for you to appreciate Chessie!