St. John Bush Tea Man

Travel discussion for St. John
bj

St. John Bush Tea Man

Post by bj »

There is a nice video on Victor Hall located on the On-St. John web site.

Before there were mansions or Kenny Chesney in Peter Bay there was Victor Hall and the Kite. Sundays at the Kite were absolutely the very best of times! I know there are many on this forum that favor the Beach Bar wish you all could take a trip back in time to the Kite, or with June at the Out. :D
Peace,
bj
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I just watched it. I wish I would have seen him in February as we had some sickies (flu type of thing) in the group that could have used some of his tea.

I really enjoy learning about this type thing. I have a growing list of non-touristy (for lack of a better word) that I want to do on STJ and I am adding this.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Victor is a fun guy :)

For some reason I can onlywatch 1/3 of the video then it jumps back to the start :(

I'll keep trying :)

Pia
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

We met Victor in 2005 and bought a CD of Christmas music! Catchy little tune that is now our STJ Christmas carol!!
Pia

Post by Pia »

"It's Christmas time again - I know"

We can't get that song out of our head - we change the words and use it for everything - you know like - "It's skeeter time again - I know" or "It's nekkid time again - I know"........luv it :)

Pia
Lex

Post by Lex »

I'm happy that Victor is making himself and his herbal remedies more accessible. Many of STJ's elders are passing away and it's good that someone is keeping traditional ways alive.

Victor was the first islander we met on our very first trip to STJ. Friends living on the island picked us up at the ferry and drove us out to Maho where we stayed for five weeks (Five weeks! My life was so different then. A lot less money, a lot more time). On the way to Maho, we stopped at The Kite. Victor made drinks and played Paul Simon's "Graceland", which had just been released and which I'd never heard. I had a strong sense that I was in heaven.

We returned to The Kite many times. It was about as good as life can be expected to be. Then one year we went back to STJ and The Kite was gone and it seems like a lot went with it. Over the years we'd occasionally run into Victor, usually at the Domino station. If we ever get back to STJ, it'll be nice to visit him in this new incarnation of The Kite.
loria

Post by loria »

wow Lex, we must have been there almost at the same time..... I LOVED the Kite--what a spot!!! what a great guy too.....
couldn't find Victor this last trip down, but was able to arrange to have some kite t shirts (he still makes them!!) sent up to us in NY.......