A few questions

Travel discussion for St. John
StJohnMike

A few questions

Post by StJohnMike »

Hi everyone, I'm headed back to STJ Nov. 24th-Dec. 17th and need some advice and recommendations.

Are there any charters, preferably out of Cruz Bay, that focus more on sailing than snorkeling?

Does any charter stop at Sandy Spit or Sandy Cay? I'd really like to visit one of them. I'll be by myself so chartering my own boat really isn't an option unless someone would care to share.

Which would you recommend, New Horizons II, Limnos, or Stormy Petrel to go to the Baths? I'd almost prefer a larger party group, there's more people to meet.

Do any charters stop at the Willy T? It seems like most stop at the Soggy Dollar instead, that's great but I'm already planning on taking the ferry to Jost to do that.

I'll be on island for Thanksgiving and have heard good things about Skinny Legs' potluck, any word on if they're doing that again this year?
Thanks.
StJohnMike

Post by StJohnMike »

Anybody have any input? Thanks.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

There are quite a few sailing charters that originate in STJ - Wayward Sailor, Spree II, Breath, Trisel, a really pretty yellow sloop at Maho [name?], some of the sailboats at Caneel, some of the sailboats at the Westin bay, etc. Too many to name and think of really!
I am sure you could do a search on this or other forums and find more or use google.
The ever helpful ladies at Connections are another good source of info and recommendations.
Most of the day sailing charters - don't go to the BVI - BUT - some will. It is the time element that usually determines this. Either the sailing distance and boat speed or the time spent at Customs - on both ends BVI and US - make the difference. You would have to stop at JVD or West End Tortola to clear Customs before stopping at Sandy Cay or Spit.
If you enjoy sailing definitely take a Daysail while you are on STJ - the winds and sailing conditions are usually world class. The boats are well kept and the pride of ownership and nautical expertise of these crews is exemplary. It will be a great day no matter what the destination.
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Hey Mike,
We'll also be down for thanksgiving (11/23-12/3) and interested in going over to Skinny's. So anyone??

This year we are thinking of taking the ferry over to Jost instead of doing a daysail. We've been out on Wayward Sailor a few times.

Less that two week .... woo hoo!!!

:)
[/url]
StJohnMike

Post by StJohnMike »

Thanks for the info everyone, I forgot to mention that this will be my fifth trip and I've gone out with Capt. Phil on the Wayward Sailor every year and plan to again this year. You really can't go wrong with him, he's a great guy and runs a great daysail.
I'll confess a dark secret, I have never been to Skinny Legs so I'm really looking forward to spending Thanksgiving there this year. Onthelake, I'll see you there, we'll find each other somehow.