Options for transporting group of 50 from Caneel to Cruz Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
llissa

Options for transporting group of 50 from Caneel to Cruz Bay

Post by llissa »

Are taxi prices set, or negotiable? I've been quoted $20pp for round trip from Caneel to Cruz Bay for dinner - I have a group of 50.

Do I have other options? Thank you!
loria

Post by loria »

i haven't used a cab in a while, but there is no way it should be that much--half that, maybe less with a group your size--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Hi Illisa. Why don't you check with Caneel's concierge? There are some tour busses on STJ that cart around the cruise ship passengers for day trips that may well hold that many. I don't think I've ever seen them out in the evening. Perhaps you might get lucky and be able to reserve one of them.

Caneel also has an air conditioned bus that might be able to be commisioned unless they are the ones quoting $20pp. :wink:

$20 pp is absolutely absurd for round trip from Cruz Bay to Caneel. Should be no more than $8 especially with a group of that size.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

It is $10 round trip per person from Caneel to Cruz Bay--$5 each way. Tip is extra of course. The taxi rates are set across the board. Who are you talking with about this?
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
2FarNorth

Post by 2FarNorth »

Snorkle. :wink:
- Kevin
hawksnestbay

Do I have other options?

Post by hawksnestbay »

Yes, don't do it.

Why do 50 people need to travel together?

There is no way to get lost from Caneel to town, unless you are in a boat.That being said, a water taxi could do the work and is fun. Puerto Rico here we come.

Are you all going to eat in the same place, or just meet up somewhere? Cause a group of 50 can be accomadated at Caneel, with notice, while there are few places that can take a group of more than 10 without it backing up the kitchen.

Take the planning stress off of yourself, let your group travel on it's own, and treat it like a treasure hunt. If you lose a couple, it will make a great story.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ya, my first thought was boat. The Caneel ferry or Sadie Sea?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

I'm with RickG on this one.
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

I can't wait to hear where 50 people are going in Cruz Bay???
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

I can't wait to hear where they are headed
Maybe to Ruth........:)
Woody's
Crazy Cracker........for a bachelor or bachelorette party

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

IMO I don't think a 50 passenger bus could negotiate the roads on STJ.

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
Pia

Post by Pia »

When you are in Cruz Bay just talk to the taxi drivers (of your choice) and arrange for 5 of them to show up at Caneel at a set day and time - I would do it earlier that day - the taxi's hold 10 people and the price is $5.00 pp each way (+/-) plus tip :)

Pia
gimpiegirl

Post by gimpiegirl »

we had 60 people come down to our wedding. we hired a few larger taxis to take a group of about 45-50 from the westin to trunk bay (for the ceremony) and then to zozo's (for the reception), and then back to the westin at the end of the night. we did this through penn's and i think it was less than $400 for the round trip, including waiting (this was a few years ago). they were really willing to work with us. they were fantastic to my father-in-law who is handicapped. i would also ask the folks at caneel. they may be able to give you a few other recommendations, or offer their own transportation.