What's the Real Deal w/Customs charges.

Travel discussion for St. John
bobcside

What's the Real Deal w/Customs charges.

Post by bobcside »

WE have been on many a boat trip to the BVI's and this year are planning to get dropped off on Jost and clear customs on our own. Question is, what is the customs fee? We have always just paid the boat crew the customs charges. Also I think it's a little odd that there is a charge into the BVI and none upon returning through Customs on STJ. Also never saw anyone charged a fee at Customs at the airport STT. I tried to find a fee factor on the BVI Govt. sites but only found info on boats arriving and staying for a while.
BOB
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

A boat owner cannot just' drop someone off' in the BVI if they came from the USVI - they HAVE to clear the boat and passengers in together.
US Customs generally does not charge fees in facilities like the airport - there can be harbor and docking fees in STJ on the boating question and overtime fees from Customs there as well.
Pia

Post by Pia »

If you take the public ferry the Customs fee is included in the $60 roundtrip fee.
If you take a private water taxi/charter to the BVI's all of the passengers and crew must clear Customs together and pay the fee which is approx $25 per person.
The fee's are different if clearing in on a public ferry, personal boat (not a paid charter) and paid taxi/day charter.

Pia
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

Thanks for the replys. I am aware the Captain must cear Customs Immedately upon arrival but I thought we could do our own. Here is the BVI site I looked through. Went to several of their links about entry requirements and end up back at this one.I'm going to send them an e-mail in hopes of resolving this. Will let you know how that goes.. Thanks again..

http://www.bvitourism.com/GettingHere/Entry/
BOB
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

I have to say that the fees themselves have always seemed a bit innocuous.

One time we rented a bareboat (with friends who lived on STT) and headed to the BVI. I forgot what day of the week it was but this was a regular thing for these guys.

Anyway we went sent the guys in and the customs official at the BVI was totally trying to charge the guys an outrageous fee (above and beyond what they normally were used to paying) and they only took cash.

Keep in mind these guys are attorneys but there was nothing they could do but pay the extra fee to get into the country legally.

It was a total PITA and we knew they were taking advantage. At the time you couldn't find the fees posted anywhere. We constantly joked that the fees were adjusted accroding to random things like: you were wearing a blue instead of red t-shirt, you checked in at the bottom of the hour instead of the top of the hour and it was a full moon.

These days I rely on chartering a boat with a captain or taking the ferry over which has a system in place for such things.

I wonder -- if you are still planning to get dropped off -- if you couldn't stop into the csutoms office on STJ and ask them how to do this. Maybe they can help you out??
Last edited by Gromit on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
RickG

Post by RickG »

Airport fees, including any customs surcharges, are levied by the airport authorities and paid by the airlines.

Here is what AA says about that:

International Travel (including Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands)

* September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per U.S. enplanement
* Airport passenger facility charges (PFCs) of up to $18 roundtrip
* Other government taxes and fees (including U.S. government excise tax) of up to $180 based on destination; total may vary slightly based upon currency exchange rate at time of purchase

U.S. government excise tax is a user tax to pay for airport construction and airway safety and operations.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

Thanks gromit, I always wonder the same thing as to the fees. The site I researched seems to indicate a $2.00 per person fee for boat operators but it talks about "crew". I'm awaiting a response from BVI Customs. Will advise if and when I can.. We still are planning the drop off thing, IF we can iron out these issues. We took the feryy last year and really were not too thrilled with that. The boat was ancient, noisey as hell, stunk of desiel fumes and metal seats. I am far from fussy traveler and can tolerate just about anything, but that ride sucked. Also the schedule did not allow for enough time for us to do our thing and chill out for a few hrs to boot. Went to Foxy's from White Bay for lunch arriving at 1pm and ended up chowing down to barely catch the ferry back. Got to be a better way that doesn't set ya back $200 pp.
BOB
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

All great info thus far. I'm only interested in making certain I do what is required. I do not begrudge the boat operators some of the fee they charge for customs if they do get a % of it. I don't know that they do. I don't mind paying but like to know where and how my $ is being spent. And then there is the tale from a past post that stated the poster paid a $30.00 customs cash fee to the boat crew for customs and never got a BVI stamp on his/her Passport? I feel certain there is a logical explanation to all this. I'm just in search of some more facts. I think PIA is right on but it seems to me there would or at least should be a chart or list of some sort spelling out the fees so one would know what to expect. Then again, it is a Government Agency we are dealing with. If there is a clear and concise answer, I will find it. Hopefully.
BOB
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Bob-- here's the best site I've found:
http://www.bvitourism.com/GettingHere/Entry/

But it's not thewhole picture because I have personally been charged anywhere from $15 - $35 on my various visits. The average being $20 on charters or the ferry.

They list a phoen number on the web site -- it'll cost you the long distance call but you could call to ask.

Personally I think it's pretty weird that you can't find the exact info anywhere.
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

OK gang, thanks to a prompt response from bvitourisim here is the real deal which I think will come as a surprise to many. This is the e-mail involved. If you scroll down you can read what I sent and their reply begins just below with "Hi" Hope I didn't open a can of worms here but I think I might have!

Hi

Yes you can clear customs on Jost Van Dyke on your own. There is not a charge, unless you have items to declare.

There are ferries that run between the BVI and USVI daily (see link) the cost if 40 US dollars per person round trip http://www.bviwelcome.com/ferries.html

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Vionie Pickering
Administrative Supervisor

The British Virgin Islands Tourist Board & Film Commission
P. O. Box 134 l Road Town l Tortola, B.V.I. VG1110
Tel: 284.494.3134 l Fax: 284.494.3866
Email: vpickering@bvitourism.com l www.bvitourism.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:33 AM
To: Vionie I. Pickering
Subject: (no subject)

Good day, I have a question on entry into Jost Van Dyke from St. Thomas USVI. We plan on arriving by boat, private with 4 passengers. We plan to spend the day on Jost. After the Captain clears the vessel, may we, 4 US Citizens, then clear customs on our own? If so what fees apply? If the Captain, who is not staying but returning to get us, must clear us what fees apply. We will be leaving mid afternoon the same day. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Last edited by bobcside on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOB
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

bobcside wrote:There is not a charge, unless you have items to declare.
Well, that certainly contradicts everything, doesn't it! Hmmmm...
Pia

Post by Pia »

Good luck with that - let us know how you get on especially when you tell that to the agent on duty :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pia
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

Pia, I hear ya.. One thing for certain,we will soon find out.. Maybe I should bring some bond $ as well.
Only jokein, certainly not worth it if it comes to that, but I need to know.
BOB
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Bob-- that just makes no sense to me. Since everyone generally charges $20 -- for bareboat, ferry or charter.

I would definitely print out a copy of that e-mail and bring with you!

And expect to pay at least $20.

Of course all this begs the question-- what the heck are we all paying approx. $20 for if there's no charge??