Best hotels for a newbie to STT and STJ!

Travel discussion for St. John
spdrcr65

Best hotels for a newbie to STT and STJ!

Post by spdrcr65 »

First time coming to USVI and I want to make sure all in my party has a wonderful stay - what are the good hotels in STT and STJ? Romantic, great views, good service, great accommodations - all good points to look for!

Thanks!
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Hi there!
We always rent a villa when we vacation on St John its MUCH cheaper and a lot more private...but I hear Caneel Bay and The Westin are the best. They are pricey, though. Unfortunately I can't be much help with St Thomas. We've never stayed the night. There a tons of folks on the forum that have, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of good information. Good luck with your search!
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Agreed regarding STJ-- a villa is generally a better way to go especially when traveling with a group or family. Plus you get your own kitchen, pool etc.

There are only two "large" hotels on STJ: Caneel & Westin.

There are also a variety of smaller B&B type (and I use the term loosely) places.

There are also campgrounds and eco-tents.

But for most folks on this forum, villas are the way to go. And quite frankly can be way more cost effective than a hotel room (unless you can store some really killer deal).

As for STT hotels -- you have more options there: Marriott Frenchmans Reef and the Ritz Carlton are nice. And there are many other less expensive options as well. Bolongo BAy advertises on this site.

I'm sure that others can chime in on this as well.
*Another fine scatterbrained production
byado18

Post by byado18 »

We often stay a few days before or after STJ at the Marriott on St. Thomas...... we absolutely prefer the Morningstar Beach rooms rather than the "high rise" Frendchman's Reef rooms.... Morningstar is right on the beach and there's a small restaurant right on the beach.

There is a great view of sunset from the beach.....Havana Blue is the high end restaurant at the Marriott and a great meal!

Enjoy!
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

We like to spend our first night in St. Thomas so as not to "burn" a villa rental day on a travel day. this way we have the whole first day on St. John and arrive rested and happy.
We used the Point Pleasant Resort our most recent trip, in November. It was fantastic, and we got a great rate. All the rooms have a water view as they are perched in a hillside. The staff we dealt with are incredibly friendly and helpful. They treated us like royalty. They have 3 pools and a to-die-for little restaurant on the water called "Funge's" the food and drinks are great. It is not fancy, but they do have another restaurant that is a bit more upscale if you are interested. We like the more casual ourselves.
I suggest checking in with them directly rather than through the various travel sites like Orbits. We got a lower rate from them doing this, which amazed us.
Check them out online and see if it appeals to you.
McPenguin5