What's the Real Deal w/Customs charges.

Travel discussion for St. John
sunlover

Post by sunlover »

we rented an ocean runner last november (and drove ourselves). we paid $15 in fees each - at customs in greatharbour-- for "whatever." Seems to be consistent with Captain John's post.
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

bobcside wrote:Capt John, Thanks for chimimg in. I don't think this should be confusing at all. Are those fees specific to a day cruising permit for the BVI or are some of them levied by the USVI or National park Authorities? Or do they all apply to Crusing to the BVI and USVI. I think it would be most helpful if you could/would explain what fees apply for you to take passengers to the BVI and back same day. That may well clear this up for others and me. If you feel I'm prying or asking a bit too much, please accept my apology and ignore the request. It was very nice of you to try and help.

There is an inference by some on this thread that something shady is going on and I take offense to that.

Anyway, here’s my answer.

The following fees are charged to me by the Customs Officer on duty at West End Tortola, BVI.

$10.00 “Other Ports” for the boat
$5.00 “Customs Services” for the boat
$4.00 “Cruising Permit” per person
$5.00 “ Sea Passenger Tax” per person
$7.00 “National Park Trust Permit” per person

I pay the “Treasury and Customs British Virgin Islands” (that’s what gets stamped on my Documents) Cashier the money (cash or pre approved business check, no credit cards).

When returning to the US to clear through Customs and Border Patrol in Cruz Bay you must pay the VI Port Authority officer, at the dock, a docking fee of $4.80 per person

If I am traveling on a Sunday or Holiday over time fees apply in both Countries.

I think semantics may be causing the confusion here.
Whatever you call it, it has to be paid.
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I apologize if I inferred there was something shady going on. Now that you have made it clear, I can see there are some pretty hefty fees that you must pay.
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

Well. no inference intended for certain on my part. I was just seeking info on what I could expect to pay for "customs" charges to the BVI folks. It was not easy infomation to come by. I seek an understanding, that is all. I do not for one minute think that ALL the Charter Boat Operators in the USVI are involved in some sort of conspiracy to rip off tourists.

Back to my original question,

What 'Customs" fees should I expect when I visit the BVI individually and not on a Charter Boat?

Answer= NONE. (confirmed by BVI Autorities)
BOB
Captain John

Re: What's the Real Deal w/Customs charges.

Post by Captain John »

bobcside wrote:WE have been on many a boat trip to the BVI's and this year are planning to get dropped off on Jost and clear customs on our own. Question is, what is the customs fee? We have always just paid the boat crew the customs charges. Also I think it's a little odd that there is a charge into the BVI and none upon returning through Customs on STJ. Also never saw anyone charged a fee at Customs at the airport STT. I tried to find a fee factor on the BVI Govt. sites but only found info on boats arriving and staying for a while.

To keep the facts straight, this was the original question.
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

Holy Great conspiracy theory batman. John sorry you got drug into this one. Bob I think you need to have a pain killer and chill. You can call it a customs fee, a cruising fee, a national park fee, an overtime fee, a fee is a fee. When it comes to revenue streams the BVI government like most governments have never seen one that they didn't like.

As for the day charter operators wanting cash and rounding the number off, that is exactly what they do. Do you really want to take time from what should be the best day of your vacation to perform high math to divide out per person the cost of the fees? The reason for cash is simple they only accept cash or pre approved company checks as John said in his post. I have cleared in on crewed boats, term charter boats, day boats, cattle cars, and bareboats. Trust me when I say they are going to get their pound of flesh when you come in. When we rent a boat for a day trip I just have everyone throw in $30 a head at the start and we buy drinks with the leftovers.

I guess the point I am trying to make is given the overall cost of say a flight for two to St Thomas, a cab to the ferry, a rental car for a week, a villa for a week, food for a week, booze for a week, entrance fees to beaches for a week, well you get the point, $20 bucks to the BVI's for cruising for a day just isn't worth the amount of effort that you have put into investigating this great conspiracy.
So please put down the laptop, get a cold beer and think happy thoughts about the palm tree on Sandy Spit.
Sincerly
Jay
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I made a promise that I would not get wrapped up in online drama this year but, this post seems to be bothering me.

Bob- I really feel like you are questioning Capt John and his integrity as a STJ business owner and that really bothers me. This is what he does every day. Do you honestly think that he would jeopordize his lively hood by charging his customers fees that don't exist?

I think if I was looking for information I would relay on people that actually have experience as opposed to a BVI government worker that does not sit at a port of entry every day and is responding by reading what was in front of them. I see that you live in CT, have you ever called the DMV or gone to the website to get an answer but go to the office only to find out that "that is not how it is done" I have numerous times, it happens everywhere.

This board is all about getting information from people with real experience. Capt John is not only a respected business man on STJ but a really great guy. I don't think he deserves to be questioned and treated like he has.
bobcside

Post by bobcside »

Well, as expected, I quess it's shame on me for asking a question and pointing out some oddities in this whole Customs Fees deal. It would have been easier to understand, at least for me, if someone who had knowledge explained that there are actually several assorted fees that are included in the "Customs Charges" such as, arrival/departure tax, mooring fees, natinal park trust fees, port fees, docking fees, cruise permit fees and boat service fees. Most but not all are apparently paid to BVI Customs. Some fee(s) are actually paid to the USVI Customs but are included in the extra charge for BVI travel because it's part of the cost going there. Easy to understand. Right?

I accuse no one of anything. Just asked for clarification on questions I had. If that is a problem so be it.

cptjay, I never said there was a conspiracy, You did.
And I think I'll spend my time as I see fit.Thank You.

xislandgirl, I hear what you are saying but I am not Questioning any ones credibility, especially captjohn. He has an outstanding reputation among users of this forum and others I'm sure. I did ask some specific questions of him. To his credit he reponded to this post, the only Charter Owner to do so, and offered his take on the matter. I do not doubt one word of what he has said. I have no reason to. Perhaps I'm a little to anal about this but I want to understand just what happens with this whole customs deal. CaptJohn has helped me in that regard and for that I thank him.
BOB