Poll ended at Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:16 pm

Suck it up and Freeze
77%
Take the warmer clothes with you
23%

Total votes: 31

mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

brenda wrote: I've been known to wear socks with my Teva's if there is snow on the ground :roll: . I am a dork :) .
When we went in November, I wore a pair of heavy Sweat sox with my Keens sandals. It looked dorky, but I was comfy when we went thru security and I had to take my Keens off. The sox got really dirty, tho.
I also wore a long (ankle length) gauze skirt that is great summer wear for church or going out to eat on island. I didn't think that it looked quite as silly as shorts in the snow, and I had on a nice warm hoodie over my short-sleeved blouse. Sox and hoodie went into the carry-on as soon as I was inside the security area. Hubby insisted on wearing his heavy leather jacket, which we left behind in the hotel we over-nighted in on St. Thomas, but fortunately they were kind enought to mail it back to our house for us. I would rather be a bit chilly than over-warm, and hubby would rather be over-warm than chilly. :lol:
It's all a matter of preference.
McPenguin5
MistB'Haven

Post by MistB'Haven »

Tough it out - my husband says he loves it when everyone at the airport is glaring at him...
Otters

Post by Otters »

I live in San FRancisco, and everyone here has no trouble wearing socks with birkenstocks. Awesome for the plane, as they slip right off in security. nice breathable hiking socks keep the feet warm.

then, once there, put socks in backpack and voila, feet are Caribbean ready.

My other half is a big fan of the zip off pants as well, he wears his walking shoes on the plane so they take up less space, he is carry on only.

Unfortunately being a girl and needing my potions and lotions, there is always one check in. He puts his liquids in there. Also gives room for souveniers on the return flight.
smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

My husband wore his zip-off pants for our January return trip from STJ two years ago. He packed the bottom of the pants, a sweatshirt, and a pair of socks in his carry-on so he could go get the car from the airport park-n-ride lot while the boys and I waited for the luggage. It was about 11pm and -25 windchill when we landed in Minneapolis. So off he goes with his carry-on (with pant bottoms, sweatshirt, and socks inside) on the shuttle to the parking lot while the boys and I waited for our two checked bags. As we are watching the bags appear on the conveyor, I am suddenly transported back to our crazy morning as we rushed to check-out of Concordia and threw all of our last things in whatever bag they would fit. Then I could see myself trying to make more room in my husbands carry-on for snacks for the kids and throwing "some clothes" from his carry-on into one of our checked bags... :oops:
So we get the luggage and here comes hubby with the car - he is absolutely freezing!!! He had to walk through several inches of snow to get to his remote parking space, brush/scrape off the car, and drive back to the airport in a freezing cold car (-25 below remember?) all in shorts, t-shirt and sandal/watershoe things!!!! I felt badly. He wasn't mad, he's a wonderful man.
This year we're traveling in March/April - so hopefully no repeat of that experience for him. :D
To stay on topic: With our kids (the youngest is 4) it's still too difficult to do carry-on only on multiple flights... but maybe someday (even in the winter!)
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Just to follow up my own post. It wasn't snowing, just cold when we left, so I wore jeans, flip flops and a long t-shirt. We have never taken the kids in winter but in summer I use the RickG rule of "you pack it, you carry it"! The kids and I all had a wheeled carry on's including my teenage daughter, the only checked bag belonged to my beach babe, she needs her stuff and I ain't arguing :D