Treadmill dilemma

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Nancy

Treadmill dilemma

Post by Nancy »

Any suggestions for a decent brand treadmill? There are thousands of them out there in every price imaginable. I'm in my 50's and really want something to just walk on but my son also would occasionally use it and he likes to run. Ideally would like to spend under $1000 and have at least a 2.5hp motor. Thanks for your time-any thoughts would be appreciated.
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

Cid

Post by Cid »

My wife just upgraded from a treadmill to an elliptical machine and she really like it. It gives you a better workout and it's better for your joints. She paid about $1100 for hers, but she wanted a heavy duty machine. She shopped all around and decided to buy at Sears because they have good service. They had ellipticals in a variety of price points. My wife bought a Nordic Trak machine. It had great ratings from customer reviews as well as Consumer Reports. The treadmill she had was also from Sears. It was a ProForm and served quite well for many years. We live on the second floor so the elliptical is much more neighbor friendly....
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hi Nancy - I was in the same quandry as you about buying a treadmill.

I went back & forth between getting a new one or getting one from Craigslist or the Pennysaver. I think you can get some real deals on a used one because I think a majority of treadmills are bought with lofty ideals, but often end up with clothes hanging on them in the corner of the bedroom, or out in the garage. If you buy a used one, I wouldn't worry about the "used" part too much. Just ask why they're selling it and I bet they say because they never use it. :lol:

I thought I did all my research, and ended up buying a brand new Horizon T52. But alas, it broke after 2 yrs. of moderate use. I called the manufacturer and they don't do repairs, so they referred me to a local authorized repair service. $250 later, I had a new keypad board ... whatever.. installed, and it's been fine ever since.

While I was searching the Internet, trying to find out what might be wrong with my treadmill I came across a treadmill forum, of all things, and it was very helpful in determining what had broken. (Unfortunately I don't have a link for that forum) As it turns out, Horizon has a reputation for having the keypads go out after a couple of years. So if you find a used one, ask about that. Other than that one issue, I'm pretty happy with my treadmill.

I will say however that you should get a longer belt (mine is 55") and have a large roller at the back (2"?). And I love that my treadmill folds up. It makes moving it a round a whole lot easier! I don't think I'd ever buy one that doesn't fold up.

Here are a couple of websites that might help you decide the first one gives you more info about belt length & roller size:
http://www.treadmill-ratings-reviews.com/
http://www.treadmilltips.com/

liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

My treadmill is older, but it is a NordicTrack. I like it because you can program in multiple users with weight and age, which gives you calorie expenditures. It folds up and has wheels so you can tilt and roll it if needed (it IS heavy though). John and I both use it regularly. John walks on it, I use it for walking and jogging. I think it's around 8 years old and we've only had to have called in service maintenance on it once, when the belt got caught, which was apparently a manufacturer defect.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
bevm

Post by bevm »

After a lot of research I got a Sole online:
http://www.soletreadmills.com/products.php?type=folding
Free shipping and no sales tax. 30 year warranty on the motor and lifetime on the deck and frame. I paid the extra $99 and they brought it in my house and put it down in my basement workout area. I have nothing but good things to say about the company and the treadmill is awesome!!
djmom

Post by djmom »

I will just give you the advice my dad gave me and that is that this is one time you should seriously consider the extended warranty option.

Everyone I know with a treadmill has needed some repair or another and my parents did too. In most cases the current model will be discontinued and there is a good chance you will end up getting a new one as a replacement.

We both got Sears (pro-something) and were happy with it but my parents did ending having theirs replaced (for free)
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
In the system

Post by In the system »

If you are the outdoors type, did you consider saving your money and just go out walking or jogging? It is great to get out, although it can get chilly in the winter.
Chillin' on the beach with a cold one.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
linne

Post by linne »

What a funny word "treadmill". Didn't knew what it was
and began to laugh when I found out, because for me it
is like a treadmill to walk on such one.

Linne
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

One thing for sure, Linne, this forum will make you fluent in English before long! :lol:
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Thanks for all the good advice. The quest continues but at least I know where to start. You forum folks are the best friends I've never met!!!
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Another vote for Nordick Track. We bought a different brand from Sears (and got the extended warranty). 2 years later the deck actually broke (I'm really not THAT big!). Since they didn't sell that model anymore, they issued us credit for a brand new machine and we selected the Nordick Track. I've been THRILLED with it. It's a big machine (that does fold-up for moving around - but HEAVY). I like the bigness of the machine as I normally run on it - just feels stable.

We also have a Horizon Eliptical and I've been using it a lot lately. I got some tendinitis in my knee and running was out of the question. I'm pretty hooked on the eliptical right now - great workout without the pressure on knees.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I could have written the post that CId did. I have an elliptical machine also and really like it. I use to go to the gym and almost always used the elliptical and I was bored on the treadmill. So, when I decided to get something for my home I got theNordic Trak Elliptical from Sears. I also got the extended warranty and I have used it. They actually do annual maintenance as part of the extended warranty.

Another thing I like about it is that it is VERY quiet. I watch a show while I use it--the time goes faster.

Go to the gym and try it out a few times and see if you like it. Make sure to keep your feet kind of flat--i.e. don't stand on your toes.

Gina
augie

Post by augie »

If whichever exercise machine you buy will end up being the primary place you exercise, I'd go with the elliptical machine instead of the treadmill. I started using one of the ellipticals in the little gym we have here at work because I'd allowed myself to lapse into pretty rotten shape cardio wise.

I got to the point where I was able to stay in a fairly high heart rate zone for an hour, and decided that since I had lost some weight I could start mixing some running in as well, which led to my signing up to be a part of our company's team in a local 5K race.

I figured that since I was used to keeping my heart rate up for at least an hour, the half hour or so it would take to run a 5K would be a piece of cake - WRONG - I thought I was going to die!

Anyway, if you have aspirations, or think you might have aspirations to run, then a treadmill that you can run on is a better training tool than any other cardio machine. If you're just looking for a way to get fitter, then pick the machine that you will most likely be able and willing to use regularly.

And if you're not convinced that you will use any of them regularly, then I'd look into buying the one that will be the easiest to sell!

:twisted:
Come see us!
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

I bought one at Sam's...I think the brand is "Epic." To have been relatively inexpensive compared to some of the high end treadmills, it has held up well to frequent, vigorous running.

I have had a problem with it, though. Within the first 6 months I had it, it got stuck on a 12% incline. I am not joking. I have been running at a 12% grade ever since. At first, this required me to hold onto the handles lest I be shot off backwards as my pitiful legs tried unsuccessfully to run uphill. I can finally run without hanging on, but I certainly don't like it. I call it "Forced Fitness." :evil: