Chocolate Hole Snorkel ????

Travel discussion for St. John
cptnkirk

Chocolate Hole Snorkel ????

Post by cptnkirk »

Can anyone help me with the easiest access point and which way to head for the best snorkeling. We wiil be right there and I would like to get some quik snorkels in on those villa gravity days.
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

Just head down to the beach in front of Pond Bay. Then head out the toward the platform in the middle, avoiding the boats. Then, head out the the center and snorkel back near the rocks on the left as looking out the sea. We saw octopi, turtles, large schools of tangs, barracuda, lobsters (have to look hard), a stone fish (beware), and a bunch of other fish. Mostly rock, not coral though there is some. We didn't get around the point while there as a bit choppy but if smooth, try going further out and around.

Have fun!
benchill

Post by benchill »

If you are not staying on the water, you can walk or park at the public boat ramp. It's that little road that veers off to the right off Chocolate Hole East, right before Bovacoap Road.
Where are you staying?
Ben and Lynn
RickG

Post by RickG »

My favorite, waterguy will probably chime in, is around the left point towards Devers Bay. Its a dramatic deep wall with deep sections between house-sized boulders with very large fish. I stay away from the live-aboard boats and their questionable effluvium.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Like the rest use the beach/ boat ramp just past pond bay. If you are staying in one of the villas on the shore you can just walk down I liked to stay at Beach Music when it was cygnus for this reason I always snorkle the left side on my way out and go around the point if it isn't to rough then if I'm not to tired I'll swim across the bay opening and snorkle the other side back in.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Thanks alot for the info :D
Benchill we are staying at Still Waters, looks right at the Pond Bay Constuction http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/stillwate ... ters-5.jpg No biggy to us we stayed at Sea Dream last time and it didn't bother us at all.We loved this location for the convenience and pretty good views we also got a killer deal to boot. Hope your wife is doing well.
benchill

Post by benchill »

Thanks Capt for asking about Lynn. She is doing great and better every day.

Construction is not a factor to me as it has progressed past the "making little rocks out of big rocks" phase. Place is starting to take shape.

If you look at the picture from your link, I often stay in that house you see on the left near the mouth of Chocoloate Hole. That is where the snorkeling starts to get good.

If you look at this link, you will see there is snorkeling right outside the door.

http://villavacations.net/detail_beachwalk.html
Ben and Lynn
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

benchill...is that where y'all are staying in May? We can see the top of your villa from ours. We're up the hill, above you. Still thinking about Lynn! So good to hear she's doing better.

Thanks for all the info about snorkeling in Chocolate Hole - had always wanted to snorkel there but wasn't quite sure how do get to the water.
benchill

Post by benchill »

Pianogirl,

I hate to admit it, but I haven't even given the first thought to where we will stay! Guess I have been pre-occupied. Guess I better get on that "small" detail.
Ben and Lynn