swine flu

Travel discussion for St. John
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

My major fear with this Swine Flu "Epidemic" is that with the regular strains that come around every year, there are flu shots that vulnerable people can get to protect them. As of now, we have no flu shot for this strain. In people of the AARP age, it can take up to a month for the shot to fully protect. So if they come up with a vaccine in the next couple weeks and I get it, I am still not fully protected for a few more weeks. I have asthma, and if I get the flu,my doctor assures me I am at high risk. So, for some of us,this is indeed a worrisome thing. As of now, we don't seem to have any incidents close by us in the Washington DC area. I am not an alarmist, and neither is my doctor, but he told me to keep informed if it hits our area. I will be watching.
McPenguin5
djmom

Post by djmom »

mcpenguin-you are exactly right. my daughter has asthma. same thing. actually believe it or not, I am getting an extra inhaler refilled now.

that isn't panic, that is just preparation.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
TimW

Post by TimW »

Persons with respiratory issues have every right to be concerned and want to be prepared. That's why infants (developing respiratory systems and weaker immune systems)as well as the elderly need to be at least cautious with a virus spreading this time of the year without a vaccine.

This will definitely will not prevent my family from traveling this year. We are so ready for STJ this year.

The media does not do a proper job of educating the public.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Mippy

Post by Mippy »

I also have asthma. I've had it since I was very young so I understand the importance that there is no current vaccine, especially for someone like me with respiratory issues. I also understand that Tamiflu will likely treat this & I'll likely be fine if I remain rational.

I'm far more likely to be killed in a car wreck, but that doesn't keep me from driving.

The media first reported there were about 2000 swine flu cases in Mexcio. Panic, panic, panic! Now, only 26 of these were really swine flu. Most others turned out to be regular flu. Testing does take some time.

Most of the cases in Mexico are centered around Mexico City, not the coastal, tourist cities. As a result, they've rightly closed several public venues in Mexico City.

Also, Mexico is not a third world country. There may be parts of it that are similar, but we also find that here in the US.

We may agree to disagree. Again, my vent is that the media is creating hysteria but does not have the facts to back it up. That is irresponsible journamlism.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

To be honest, this is a little concerning for me. I worry about my kids. One of whom has mild asthma and the other had severe childhood asthma.

I like to be informed, but I do think the media is making a mushroom cloud out of it and making people paranoid.

As an example, my bosses elderly dad is flying on Friday and is worried. She went to get him a surgical mask (in a state where we have no confirmed cases as of yet) and they are sold out EVERYWHERE and backordered.

The main thing that has me feeling cautious at this point is flying. A little plane with recycled air in closed quarters and people from all over the place. And you know someone is always hacking and sneezing.

I'm not freaking out about it by any means, but I do feel being cautious and informed is not being a paranoid psycho.

Oh and as for the trip to WDW, Swine Flu or not, chances are one of you WILL get sick with some germ or other. I am one of the healtiest people I know. Can't even remember the last time I was sick (unless it was a hangover), and I ALWAYS end up with my head in the toilet during a visit there (sorry for the visual). Have fun, just be prepared with the meds...
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

SJfromNJ wrote:I never had a flu shot, and I never had the flu. I've known people who had the shot and got the flu.
I know many people who have never had a flu shot, and that is fine. If you aren't one of the people at high risk, there is no concern, you will probably not have anything more than a rough week with high fever and physical discomfort. However, some one who actually catches the flu after having the shot is a rarity, unless they get it too early into the flu season and their immunity is too weak when they are exposed at the end of the flu season. That happened to me once, but I had enough immunity that it wasn't as bad as a full-fledged case of the flu, and I was in real respiratory distress. I was scared, having trouble breathing, and kept thinking "What if this were a full whammy?". I would have died, that's what. I am 62 with asthma. I would most likely not survive this flu if I catch it. I will take any precautions I need to. I am not panicking, but when the WHO raised the level to 5 this afternoon, I noticed!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

cypressgirl wrote:I still say nothing, or no one, is going to stop a sick Mexican from crossing the border illegally. Yes, we can stop going to Mexico, but that's really not the problem. Inforcing our laws would certainly help, but that hasn't happened in umteen years, an it's not going to start now.
I don't beleive there is proof that the illness arrived through someone crossing illegally ?
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

I agree Sailorgirl. Every Mexican crossing our border legally should at least have their temp checked to see if they are sick. My info is that every case of this flu has an origin in Mexico, so doesn't it make sense we check them out before letting them in?

As for our borders, I just want the current laws to be enforced. Every country has laws concerning legal entry, but for some reason, it's politically incorrect for us to enforce our laws.
And I really HATE to have to "press 1 for English". Man, that pisses me off royally. :evil:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

cypressgirl wrote:I agree Sailorgirl. Every Mexican crossing our border legally should at least have their temp checked to see if they are sick. My info is that every case of this flu has an origin in Mexico, so doesn't it make sense we check them out before letting them in?

As for our borders, I just want the current laws to be enforced. Every country has laws concerning legal entry, but for some reason, it's politically incorrect for us to enforce our laws.
And I really HATE to have to "press 1 for English". Man, that pisses me off royally. :evil:
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that many of the cases relate to persons who travelled to Mexico on vacation, had some exposure, and brought it back. I know the cases in my neighborhood, and I do mean neighborhood... like 6 blocks away, related to high schoolers on spring break in Mexico. I agree that immigration laws must be enforced but I am sensitive about demonizing a culture, there seems to be an underlying message in much of the reporting that its Mexico's fault. A virus is a virus it knows no borders.
loria

Post by loria »

I think that WHO and CDC are taking appropriate actions--and if this totally dies down they'll be accused of overreacting--prevention, when it works, is its own worst enemy.
persons with asthma, other respiratory diseases, infants and the elderly really do need to be careful in ANY flu environment--this flu appears to be aggressive (at least in mexico-- and the people dying are different than those that die in 'normal' flu situations--but i also wonder about denominators....how many are really infected-??--what is the case fatality rate (or the severe morbidity rate) of persons who are infected and how does that compare to a regular flu?-I suppose i need to go online and look this stuff up--
but i have to also agree with Mippy--10's of thousands of persons die of flu each year --so the media really is going whole hog on this (ok, had to do that)--but this flu does look different and
with all the worldwide government guns being pulled out on this, how can you blame them??--we'll see how this pans out-
still, so far, this flu (not to beat a dead horse) has killed fewer persons than malaria does in a couple of hours but no one is talking about that.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

sailorgirl wrote:
cypressgirl wrote:I agree Sailorgirl. Every Mexican crossing our border legally should at least have their temp checked to see if they are sick. My info is that every case of this flu has an origin in Mexico, so doesn't it make sense we check them out before letting them in?

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that many of the cases relate to persons who travelled to Mexico on vacation, had some exposure, and brought it back. I know the cases in my neighborhood, and I do mean neighborhood... like 6 blocks away, related to high schoolers on spring break in Mexico. I agree that immigration laws must be enforced but I am sensitive about demonizing a culture, there seems to be an underlying message in much of the reporting that its Mexico's fault. A virus is a virus it knows no borders.
I totally agree that many of the cases in our country began by our citizens traveling to Mexico. That is my point. It's not demonizing anyone or any place to take precautions to keep a disease out of our country that can and will kill people. It would be impossible to quaranteen an entire country, but certainly we can do more to keep the sick form entering the US. I'm not going to Mexico any time soon, and I sure wouldn't want to sit on an airplane with a bunch of Mexicans, breathing that recycled air. No thanks. STJ for me.

The only thing that's Mexicos fault it the fact that they hid this problem as long as they could. It will hurt their economy. Our local cruise ships that travel to Cancun and Cozumel are now going to different ports.

I've been all over Mexico at least a dozen times. I love it and I love the sweet people. But there is a sanitation problem there and that's just a fact.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

loria wrote:I think that WHO and CDC are taking appropriate actions--and if this totally dies down they'll be accused of overreacting--prevention, when it works, is its own worst enemy.
persons with asthma, other respiratory diseases, infants and the elderly really do need to be careful in ANY flu environment--this flu appears to be aggressive (at least in mexico-- and the people dying are different than those that die in 'normal' flu situations--but i also wonder about denominators....how many are really infected-??--what is the case fatality rate (or the severe morbidity rate) of persons who are infected and how does that compare to a regular flu?-I suppose i need to go online and look this stuff up--
but i have to also agree with Mippy--10's of thousands of persons die of flu each year --so the media really is going whole hog on this (ok, had to do that)--but this flu does look different and
with all the worldwide government guns being pulled out on this, how can you blame them??--we'll see how this pans out-
still, so far, this flu (not to beat a dead horse) has killed fewer persons than malaria does in a couple of hours but no one is talking about that.
I had no idea that malaria is a problem in the U.S.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

One thing that has struck me so far...Everyone is trying to figure out why *so far* this strain of flu has been more deadly in Mexico than it has been here...Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we have the best healthcare system in the world? You will not hear that in the media or from Gibbs, but it's a thought.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE