swine flu

Travel discussion for St. John
loria

Post by loria »

cypressgirl wrote:
loria wrote:I think that WHO and CDC are taking appropriate actions--and if this totally dies down they'll be accused of overreacting--prevention, when it works, is its own worst enemy.
persons with asthma, other respiratory diseases, infants and the elderly really do need to be careful in ANY flu environment--this flu appears to be aggressive (at least in mexico-- and the people dying are different than those that die in 'normal' flu situations--but i also wonder about denominators....how many are really infected-??--what is the case fatality rate (or the severe morbidity rate) of persons who are infected and how does that compare to a regular flu?-I suppose i need to go online and look this stuff up--
but i have to also agree with Mippy--10's of thousands of persons die of flu each year --so the media really is going whole hog on this (ok, had to do that)--but this flu does look different and
with all the worldwide government guns being pulled out on this, how can you blame them??--we'll see how this pans out-
still, so far, this flu (not to beat a dead horse) has killed fewer persons than malaria does in a couple of hours but no one is talking about that.
I had no idea that malaria is a problem in the U.S.
actually we have cases here. but not like other places, (obviously)--and they are usually imported

so far this flu isn't a huge problem in the US either--
it is developing problem in the entire world however (the Flu) , however, if we are worried about saving lives , then malaria and several other diseases play a much larger role --I don't see why that is contentious or why you take issue with it, it is, quite simply, a fact.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Loria, I'm not contintuous about anything. Stay well.
loria

Post by loria »

cypressgirl wrote:Loria, I'm not contintuous about anything. Stay well.
I said contentious--not continuous-
i was just curious as to why no one seems to care about diseases that have a far worse record in terms of overall morbidity and mortality--
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

SJfromNJ wrote:loria - I think your buddy George W Bush cared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria_Awareness_Day
Yeah and he also cared about AIDS in Africa, as a new report has said that his policy there has save 10 million lives.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/15/ ... index.html

And like I said earlier on this thread, it is he who we have to thank for building the 50 million course stockpile of Tamiflu.

Not bad for a guy who had no regard for science or healthcare. :roll:
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

To my earlier point about the healthcare advantages we have in this country...it looks like the first victim in Mexico had been seeking help for days/weeks for what she thought were pneumonia symptoms...link below:

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyl ... 2V20090429
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
djmom

Post by djmom »

1. Just because people respond about about a post about swine flu doesn't mean they don't care about people dying of malaria. Same with news organizations reporting about it.

2. If you care about those in countries with malaria, etc...you should be very worried about swine flu when/if it gets there. Those people are not going to be able to convalesce in air conditioned hospitals with the best of medical care.

3. FACT: the alert level is 5 out of 6 which is officially a "big deal". It is taking DAYS to get these test results back (confirmations). If people think there are only a hundred or so cases, they are a little off....
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
jmq

Post by jmq »

I hope groups that do work like this
http://www.gvfi.org/
get more traction and money as a result of this outbreak.
Makes more sense to develop early detection systems/surveillance strategies to help prevent local outbreaks from developing into widespread pandemics.
Enhancing prevention and early response techniques is always a cheaper risk management strategy. This should be made a human health imperative by the CDC and WHO.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
djmom

Post by djmom »

jmq wrote:I hope groups that do work like this
http://www.gvfi.org/
get more traction and money as a result of this outbreak.
Makes more sense to develop early detection systems/surveillance strategies to help prevent local outbreaks from developing into widespread pandemics.
Enhancing prevention and early response techniques is always a cheaper risk management strategy. This should be made a human health imperative by the CDC and WHO.
Yes. I don't know anything about this group, but I think the current low key approach is stupid. If you live in Florida and a category 3 hurricane is approaching, you board up your house and you might evacuate.

Ok, some people get pissed about having to evacuate if it doesn't hit-- when they really should breathe a sigh of relief. I really hope this is nothing. But if it is something, we really dropped the ball because it is way too late to stop it from spreading.

I don't even care if it is just like the "regular old flu." If 36,000 people die from it in the US (like die from the regular flu), that is going to be way too many.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
mcpenguin5

Post by mcpenguin5 »

The fact which people keep missing is that there has been no flu vaccine given for this one. In a normal flu outbreak, Large portions of the population are vaccinated, especially all health care workers. This fact alone keeps the flu from spreading as fast as it might.

With no one in the population protected, the spread will be much quicker. The more people who are vulnerable to infection, the more people will be involved in spreading it. It is simple math. That is what makes this flu more dangerous than the usual flu we see every fall and winter.

Lets hope that the measures that are being taken now will help contain it, but I don't have a lot of hope for that. It seems to be just getting going.
jclampet

Post by jclampet »

Here is an interesting slant, I work in the Delaware Public Health Dept and man a slot on the SHOC team that is tracking this. (nothing to do with medical treatment). Will I miss my already paid for vacation because I am sick? Very unlikely. Will I miss my already paid for vacation because my job says I am not allowed to leave? Very good chance that might happen...We are crossing our fingers that it does not...

PS: Don't ask me anything, becasue I can't say...It is up to public affairs to release information and I need my job...Hope to see everyone at the BB on the 17th
Last edited by jclampet on Fri May 01, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

jclampet wrote:Will I miss my already paid for vacation because I am sick? Very unlikely. Will I miss my already paid for vacation because my job says I am not allowed to leave? Very good chance that might happen...We are crossing our fingers that does not...
Well, if that DOES happen, I hope you get reimbursed for the full amount of your vacation!!

I hope you are able to go and that you have a wonderful trip.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

jclampet wrote:Here is an interesting slant, I work in the Delaware Public Health Dept and man a slot on the SHOC team that is tracking this. (nothing to do with medical treatment). Will I miss my already paid for vacation because I am sick? Very unlikely. Will I miss my already paid for vacation because my job says I am not allowed to leave? Very good chance that might happen...We are crossing our fingers that it does not...

PS: Don't ask me anything, becasue I can't say...It is up to public affairs to release information and I need my job...Hope to see everyone at the BB on the 17th
I hope you get to go! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to go as well, but kinda sneaked out the back door and said "hey I'll check the CDC every morning and call ya....see ya!"
Crossing my fingers for you.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Has anyone read a tally of deaths from the H1N1 flu recently?
I keep hearing differing numbers. Friday I saw the verified case mortality count in Mexico reduced significantly (something like 139 down to 106) and then on the radio this morning I heard a count of "only" 30 something.

I personally believe that media hype is self-generating news on this story and I have been watching with interest only in the factual information. Unfortunately I only see stories on speculation and preparation. While preparation is good I am getting tired of the "Texas High School sports suspended because of expected flu pandemic" & "wash your hands and cover your cough" stories.

One other question I have not seen addressed with all this news coverage. Is this the same swine flu that made the rounds in the late 70's? I know it is somehow mixed with the avian flu this time, but since I survived the swine flu last time, does that increase my resistance this time around?
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED