On St John hook bracelets?

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I highly recommend Coral Bay Jewelers next to JJ's.
swoop

Post by swoop »

You can get one in St. Thomas too....usually cost less over there..
STX lady

"the hook"

Post by STX lady »

I'm lost again....I thought it was the "St Croix Hook...meaning invented, designed & produced there. Consider me enlightened!!! THANKS
bj

Post by bj »

You may want to look at Coral Bay Jewelers. I have the reef bay bracelet, and never take it off.

http://stjohnjewelers.com/
Peace,
bj
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Jolly Dog behind Skinny's has a cool selection of unique hook bracelets I think from Caribbean Bracelet Company. My last purchase there is a lizard in the shape on an "S" and the hook is a "J"! Really cool!
RickG

Post by RickG »

I always chuckle at the "its too hard to park" comments. We use Slim Man's for the quick in and out. There's always other free options.

Joshie compiled the best list that I use and refer people to:

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... 102#127271

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

Slimman's parking is great. We just parked there last trip rather than messing around with trying to find free parking.

My bracelet is made by the Caribbean Bracelet Company. I ordered it online, but I saw it first at Palm Jewelers, which is just about across the street from Slimman's.

I also love St. John Bracelet Company, which is over by Woody's and Cafe Roma.

As for the St. Croix bracelet, I do believe each island has its own style. Or at least I read that somewhere once.
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

STX Lady - you are correct as I understand the history. The first and what is called the original hook was designed by Sonya for STX but was not patented. The other island's hooks (even islands besides the USVI), as well as other various designs of hook bracelet, came later.

http://www.sonyaltd.com/

Sonya is quite the personality, if you have ever met her. 75+, going strong, and doing beautiful new work in gold.

- Margy
STX lady

The Hook

Post by STX lady »

Margy Z

I'll certainly get one on our return in June from Sonya. My first one was bought quickly for our wedding vow renewal 2/14/09 by Big Beard @ Camambola on the beach!
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

Sonya was there when it was reintroduced in St Croix and she started selling them then. I think they were originally done in New York in the 50s. Ask Tom at Coral Bay Jewelry. He was there in St Croix when it all started. He can tell you the history plus he makes some fine pieces. I get mine from him! You can click on his website in a previous post.
RL 8)
Pia

Post by Pia »

Coral Bay Jewelers :) great quality and great selection :)

Pia
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I love Coral Bay Jewelers, in fact I got a beautiful petroglyph ring there, but he does all his work in gold, no silver. Not that I don't love gold, but it's a bit pricey for some people.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

white gold or just yellow?
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Both. He does the most beautiful work. He's got bracelets for all the bays on St. John. Someday.... :)

Aren't you supposed to be gone? :?

Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Both mine & my daughter's hook bracelets are from Caravan....very nice store where I also got silver starfish earings/necklace. This year I got the outline map of St. John necklace at Coral Bay Jewelers by JJ's....very nice people who helped me there. It came in gold or white gold.

Love both of these.