Social Security Disability Questions

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mahobayb

Social Security Disability Questions

Post by mahobayb »

Does anyone know where we can go to get answers to about a million questions concerning retiring on a disability?

My Husband,Steve, has been diagnosed with advanced metastasized prostate cancer.

questions like:

who can we trust to ask the questions that we may not want the employer to know we are asking at this time?
(nothing illegal, just we need to protect our insurance coverage, if the employer hears that the Doctor said he shouldn't be working, can they make him stop?)

He can draw his pension. The doctor said he qualifies for social security disability.
Can he file for his pension and social security at the same time?

We need to get our "ducks in a row" quickly.
We have a ton of fear and don't know where to turn.

I thought maybe someone here may know something to get us heading in the right direction.

We would be thankful for any insight you may have.

Feel free to pm me if you want.

Thanx
Lori and Steve
we never touch someone so lightly that we don't leave a trace
Lex

Post by Lex »

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's cancer.

I'll be turning 65 next year and plan to make a visit to the local Social Security office in the next several months to sit down with someone and get a clear understanding of what Social Security and retirement is all about. That might be a good starting point for you and your husband.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Lori - I'm so sorry to hear about Steve! I think Lex has given you some good advice. You might also check to see if there are any free legal services in your town. If all you need is good advice right now, that's what free legal does. Best of luck, my thoughts & prayers are with you.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Oh my gosh...I don't have any advice but I'll be keeping you and Steve in my prayers. Wow. I'm so sorry.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jmq

Post by jmq »

I'm sure you've probably done this kind of search already and was looking more for "been there, and here is what you need to know" kind of advice, but a quick search turned up these kinds of sites that could offer some guidance:

http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/ ... tions.html

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/

http://disability-claims.org/social_sec ... tions.html

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/

http://www.disabilityinfo.gov/digov-pub ... lderId=167

Best wishes.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
bevm

Post by bevm »

Lori..I'm sorry to hear about Steve. I'll add him to my prayer list.
Pia

Post by Pia »

So sorry to hear about Steve - I don't have any advise but wanted to post that I will be praying for you both.

Pia
mahobayb

Post by mahobayb »

Now that we've had a few moments to stop and think, the fog is beginning to lift from our brains.

I can't thank you enough for this valuable info.
and the thoughts and prayers.

We will be making a lot of phone calls on Monday.

~Thanx Lex~ It is a good idea to start gathering your info early. You don't need any surprises.

~Thanx Margo~ Thoughts and prayers are what Steve needs right now. I will look into the free legal. That will come in very handy.

~Thanx Teresa_Rae~ Thoughts and prayers are much appreciated.

~Thanx jmq~ Those sites are wonderful!! Now we have a starting point. You are right, I was looking for someone to point me in the right direction, you did.
Thank you

~Thanx Bev~ for the prayers. We need them.

~Thanx Pia~ for the prayers. Can never have enough.

Sincerely,
Lori
we never touch someone so lightly that we don't leave a trace
Lex

Post by Lex »

You might check online or in your phone book for lawyers in your area specializing in social security and senior citizen's issues. We found a lawyer to assist with my mother-in-law's affairs who made navigating the system somewhat easy. There's a lot to learn and when it comes on you suddenly as it has for you, it can overwhelm.
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Lori, I had my husband, who never reads the forum, read your post. He is a financial planner with many years experience, and the majority of his clients are retirees. He is very familiar with your concerns and would be more than happy to talk to you tomorrow if you'd like. If there is a question he is uncertain of, he can find the answer or tell you where to go to find it. I'll have him pm you tomorrow if you'd like. Best of luck to both of you. I'll be praying for your husband.
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Let me try to answer some questions - I have spent the past 20 years of my career in the disability area.

First you asked about the question...if the doctor said he "shouldn't" be working...can they make him stop. Most companies won't require that he stop. If he has a safety-sensitive position (something like manufacturing where they think he might get hurt), they may challenge it and require he get a "Fitness for Duty" exam (at the company's expense). Most of the time, employers let the employee work if the employee feels he can. SSDI will certainly not make him work.

He should be able to receive pension and SSDI at the same time.

Best of luck to you and Steve.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Just so you know if he has long term disablity when he starts getting SS his Long term will be cut and if you have any kids who would collect SS the long term will take that too
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I have no advice, but I'm sorry to hear about your husband's illness and will pray that you are guided to all the right answers, and for your husband's wellness.
Lulu76

Post by Lulu76 »

I am not any type of expert, but we have been through this in our family.

My parents were both declared "permanently disabled" within months of each other and had to leave their jobs and go on Social Security.

Go to your local social security office ASAP and start the process. Even with a clear-cut case (like my dad's, who became blind due to an eye disease) it will still take a while to get your payments. They will give you back pay, but it's not a quick process. There will be lots of paperwork your doctors fill out and there may be physical exam's by doctors contracted by the government. It just depends if they think that you can still work or not. I will say, my cousin was recently diagnosed with cancer and her claim went through pretty quickly.

There are tons of people out there who will say that they will help you get your benefits. Really, it's a lot to maneuver. Those people help you in exchange for a percentage of that lump sum you get when you're finally approved. My parents did it on their own. It took a long time and I thought my mom lived at the social security office for a while there (she has congestive heart failure and emphysema and it was a lot harder for her to get her claim through). If you really hit roadblocks, your U.S. Congressman has a person who can help you. Just don't let what little money you're entitled to get taken by someone unscrupulous. When I worked for a Congressman, there were plenty of older people who had that happen.

Lastly, my dad gets both a pension and social security. And, your husband should get on Medicare, so you'll have less worries about the cost of his medical expenses. However, they don't really pay much for prescription drugs.

I'm not sure if this helps. I just didn't want anyone to taken advantage of. You and your husband are in my prayers.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

I'm a little late, but if you still have questions, feel free to PM me. I'm a clinical social worker in healthcare and I have to help my patients navigate questions, applications etc similar to what you are asking. You received some good advice already.

My number one tip, calling the toll free Social Security number is a toss up, if you call five times, you'll likely get five different answers. I have one disability attorney and a couple of social security workers in the local office that I trust.

One other thing, they are supposed to be pushing people through that have a cancer diagnosis or similar illness.

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!