Alexa Tool Bar

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Anthony
Site Admin

Alexa Tool Bar

Post by Anthony »

Wondering if any of you hard core regulars would be willing to download and install the Alexa Tool Bar? I am trying to see just how much it affect it has on Alexa site rank - I finally started using it, and it has moved VIOL way up in rank. If one or two of you who came every day used, it may make a big difference, which makes it a lot easier for me to convince people of the importance and value of VIOL. You can find it here:

http://www.alexa.com/toolbar

Doesn't work with Safari but will with Firefox if you are on a Mac.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I read the link, but I'm not sure how it works. Would I use that instead of Google?
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Done. Install took about 10 seconds on Firefox.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

California Girl wrote:I read the link, but I'm not sure how it works. Would I use that instead of Google?
No - it is just an install and leave kind of thing. It gives you a toolbar (easily hidden I think) that shows you certain info about a site, and also records the sites you visit (anonymously) so that it can rate sites -
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:Done. Install took about 10 seconds on Firefox.
Thanks Pete :)
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Anthony, I clicked on the button to download the toolbar and my virus program went nuts! It said I was about to download a trojan horse. What's up with that???
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Yes - Pete has mentioned something similar. I have no idea -
Alexa has been around for forever and is owned by Amazon. If it is an issue at all just please don't do it and don't worry about. Thanks for trying!

And one day - get a Mac :)
kirk

Post by kirk »

California Girl wrote:Anthony, I clicked on the button to download the toolbar and my virus program went nuts! It said I was about to download a trojan horse. What's up with that???
It's spyware. look it up on google. Bad Anthony,bad.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Anthony wrote:Yes - Pete has mentioned something similar. I have no idea -
Alexa has been around for forever and is owned by Amazon. If it is an issue at all just please don't do it and don't worry about. Thanks for trying!

And one day - get a Mac :)
I downloaded it on my Mac with Firefox...no bells or whistles so far...
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

kirk wrote:
California Girl wrote:Anthony, I clicked on the button to download the toolbar and my virus program went nuts! It said I was about to download a trojan horse. What's up with that???
It's spyware. look it up on google. Bad Anthony,bad.
Not quite. Windows Vista (we all know how good that is) detects it as malware. I had no issues with it on Firefox on my Mac. I'll run it for a bit and see what happens.

Mr. B, I would love to hear from you on this. I consider you our resident computer geek...and I mean that in the most affectionate way.
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

Just can't live without another man can you??? I'm so jealous. :shock:
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Bandit wrote:Just can't live without another man can you??? I'm so jealous. :shock:
I thought you and I had an "understanding" about that.
MrB

Post by MrB »

Officially, my position is that it is spyware. It reports your browsing.

Unoffically, it is anonymous, so it might not be a big deal, but in all honesty, i would stay away from it. I'm just that paranoid.

It's possible that any anti-spyware program will blow it's top upon seeing this, and some with a lower tolerance setting would let it pass. Yahoo toolbar tries to install itself with any number of software packages(java, flash, etc). You may even have it and not know it!

Let's just stick to clicking adds on the site.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Thanks Mr. B
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

MrB wrote:Officially, my position is that it is spyware. It reports your browsing.

Unoffically, it is anonymous, so it might not be a big deal, but in all honesty, i would stay away from it. I'm just that paranoid.
I am pretty paranoid too - but I never saw Alexa as that big a deal. I mean you have to install it (they are not sneaking it in your browser) - so although it does track the sites you visit - is it really that much different than anyone setting a cookie? I am old enough to remember the "death" of Javascript - but without cookies and JS, you couldn't use most web sites today!