Car Barge Update, please...

Travel discussion for St. John
ivegotskinnylegs

Car Barge Update, please...

Post by ivegotskinnylegs »

Thanks everyone for all the info provided over the past few years, looking forward to our 2nd trip to St John.

My wife is starting to panic over the car barge situation as we have some important cargo we need to get to St John before it thaws.

Here's the particulars: American flight arriving at 4:40pm on Tuesday the 29th. Checked boxes, renting with Budget. I can get the car while she gets the checked boxes.

So...

What is the current latest scheduled car barge and will we make it?

If we don't make it, is there somewhere to leave the rental car in Red Hook overnight so we can take the passenger ferry over?

Thanks again,

~D~
steve

Post by steve »

usually the last ferry is 6pm, that is too tight for your flight schedule, you have to drive at rush hour! If you are stuck, Red Hook has nice 'for pay' parking so you can take the people ferry (last boat at midnight, runs hourly) with your stuff and get the car in the AM. (you never never know, maybe the flight will land early and the traffic Gods will clear a path and you will not make a wrong turn... just don't count on it).If you have not been there in a while Red Hook is newly rebuilt and nice....it will all work out..

Steve
benchill

Post by benchill »

As Ruth tells me often, "The last barge is at 7."
Ben and Lynn
TouristTrapCheryl

Car Barge Phone Numbers (2 barge companies, 2 schedules)

Post by TouristTrapCheryl »

There are 2 car barge services: Varlack & Boyson.
They have different schedules.

Varlack has a published schedule that lists 6pm as the last barge from Red-Hook to St John. Call them for the most up to date info on their schedules: Varlack (340) 779-1739/(340) 779-4000

Boyson told me on the phone today that they will have a 6:30pm barge from Red-Hook to St John on December 29th (They are running a 7pm barge from Red-Hook to St John this week. The girl I spoke to said they quit that "holiday" schedule on December 26th.) Boyson: (340) 776-6294

NOTE: Getting TO the car barge does not guarantee you will get ON the car barge. You will not get on the barge if the car barge fills up with cars that get there ahead of you. So, go straight to Red-Hook and get in line for the barge even if you arrive early and feel you have "extra" time to catch the barge.

Also, no worries, because your "Worst-case-scenario" is that you pay to park the car in the Red-Hook parking lot which is right where both car barges & people ferries depart. There will be a people ferry departing Red-Hook to St John every hour on the hour; last people ferry is at midnight.
-cheryl

Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

When we left STJ last Thursday :( the only company operating was still Boyson's Inc. with their boats General II and Mister B. We arrived a half hour early for the 11 am barge, and the queue was LONG with many construction vehicles. We seriously didn't think we were going to get on the next barge and thought we'd have to wait another hour. But, they had all the construction vehicles move aside and put the passenger cars on the barge that arrived first. Moments later, the other barge arrived (I'm not sure which was first and which came second, but the second one must have been a better choice for large vehicles.)
In the end, everyone waiting got on one of the two barges. But, here's my point (whew... a bit long winded), the two barges had just about caught up to each other, so they were operating about twenty minutes apart, which means that it was going to be a LONG wait for one of them to return. In other words, don't expect there to be some set schedule, at least during the day. My sense is that they just kept running.
Boyson's Telephone number is (340) 776-6294, in case you want to call and confirm anything with them.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes, currently there is only one company running as Roanoak has it's ferry in dry dock so only Boyson is providing service.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
TouristTrapCheryl

Call the companies.

Post by TouristTrapCheryl »

Whew, this happens from time to time: the barge schedules are a mess. Call both companies and ask them what they expect their schedules to be on Decemeber 29th. (See both barge company phone numbers in my earlier post)
-cheryl

ivegotskinnylegs

Thanks all! Sounds like we'll need a little luck on our side. At least we have a back up.

At least our luggage is there, 6 days shipping with the USPS, not too shabby for this time of year.
Lovermont

Re: Call the companies.

Post by Lovermont »

TouristTrapCheryl wrote:Whew, this happens from time to time: the barge schedules are a mess. Call both companies and ask them what they expect their schedules to be on Decemeber 29th. (See both barge company phone numbers in my earlier post)
Oh... my post looked a little redundant to the information that Cheryl had kindly posted. I think I was writing that little novella, while Cheryl's post went live. :oops:

Lovermont
polly

Post by polly »

So... did you make it? We got on the 6 p.m. barge and it was fairly empty. They said they were going to make one more run at 6:30. Hope you were successful!
hugo

Post by hugo »

Just by the way, a small correction to info above: Varlack does not operate any barges, they are one of the 2 people ferry companies.
The two car barges are:
Boyson (2 Boats, Mr. B and the General II) 340 776 6294
Global Marine ( Roanoke) No published phone number i've ever found
6:30 is usually the last run, by Boyson.
lprof

Post by lprof »

hugo wrote:
The two car barges are:
Boyson (2 Boats, Mr. B and the General II) 340 776 6294
Global Marine ( Roanoke) No published phone number i've ever found

This number should be confirmed in advance...
The Roanoke aka Tuglife, operated by Global Marine, is distinguished by the big potted palm trees on deck. Stanley "Bubbla" Hedrington, the CEO of Global Marine is a native St. Johnian.
Global Marine Inc - 340 775 6279
http://reservationsbvi.com/ferries/The% ... arine.html

Edited 01/2010:
Google searches bring up the above number and the one found by Lovermont - check them out before the need...
Last edited by lprof on Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

vinow.com lists this info:

Global Marine's Tug Life aka Roanoke
Rates: $42 roundtrip, $27 one-way. Telephone: (340) 779-1739

Lovermont
papabou

Post by papabou »

pia recently posted roanoke still in dry dock and only mr b and general II running.

papabou
ivegotskinnylegs

polly wrote:So... did you make it? We got on the 6 p.m. barge and it was fairly empty. They said they were going to make one more run at 6:30. Hope you were successful!
Yes we made the 6:30 barge without a problem even after waiting over 40 minutes for our boxes (they sent them to the cargo area instead of with the luggage) and hitting rush hour traffic. If you have a lot of luggage, get a porter they can be a lifesaver.

Having a great time, off to the beach!