Anyone ever taken the ferry from STT to STX?

Travel discussion for St. John
LandLockedBeachLover

Anyone ever taken the ferry from STT to STX?

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

We're going to STT/STJ from 6/27-7/4 (yeah! :lol: ). We were wanting to at least get a "taste" of what STX is all about for a day trip, since we've not yet been. Also something a litle different to see.

Has anyone taken the ferry for a day trip? If so, good idea/bad idea. Enough time to see a bit of the island? How long of a ride?
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Definitely doable for the day. It can be flat like a lake out there, or... the complete opposite (i.e. barf bags!). If your dates are flexible watch the weather and try to go on a low wind/calm surf day. I can't remember how long it took on the water - 45 minutes? An hour? Something like that I think... maybe a little more. I have done it a few times but it has been awhile.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
LandLockedBeachLover

Post by LandLockedBeachLover »

Thanks Anthony! We're all fairly "hearty sailors" so rough waters should't be a problem. I looked at the link to the ferry schedules at top, and actually it states that the Fast Ferry that goes from STT to STX is temporarily suspended due to remodeling or the like. Maybe they'll be finished by the time we get there, but FYI in case anyone else was thinking about it sooner. Oh well.
Pia

Post by Pia »

I don't think it is running now (hasn't been for many months) and not sure if there are plans to restart it or not.

Pia
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I thought I remembered hearing that it ran in season only (so I am guessing winter months) but this could have been total hearsay.
Genral

Post by Genral »

An article in the St John Source says that the Senators passed a bill that 'would allow' a 15 year exclusive franchise to V.I. Sea Trans to operate ferry service between STT and STX. A company spokesperson noted that they are 'currently operating at a loss' - which seems to indicate that they are in fact running now. But I believe that it's the regular 'slow' ferry. Not sure, but it probably has a speed of about 20 knots, making the trip to STX about 2 hours each way. Add in the time to take the ferry back and forth fram STJ to STT, and it's about 3 hours each way. Guess you'd better leave early! ;-) Genral
No matter where you go, there you are.
Andrea266

Post by Andrea266 »

I took a ferry from St. John to St. Croix (special ferry for special event) in October. I wasn't taking any chances, so I did take a Dramamine beforehand. I didn't find the water was that choppy, but a few people — crewmembers included — spent more than half the two hour ride with their heads down between their knees. I felt fine!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Ah - did not know this:

Virgin Islands Fast Ferry has temporarily
suspended operations.

We are currently working to identify a vessel for year round
passenger and freight service and look forward to resuming shortly.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We look
forward to welcoming you aboard our new and improved service.

http://www.virginislandsfastferry.com/
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line