Full Moon on Ram Head

Travel discussion for St. John
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

Teddy's putting on his astronomer hat here.

Looks like you have two choices.

Moonrise on St. John on March 29th (full moon) is at 6:18 PM. However, sunset is at 6:32 PM so the sun will still be up when the moon is rising. That might be what you're looking for, a moonrise then a sunset 14 minutes later.

If you go on the 30th, moonrise is at 7:19 PM and the sun will be about 12 degrees below the horizon, which means it will be pretty dark. The moonrise will be much more spectacular than on the previous night, and the moon will still be almost full, but safety getting back might be a concern for you. If you have plenty of good lighting and want to see both the sunset and a moonrise in fairly dark skies and don't mind waiting about 45 minutes between events, you should do this on the 30th and plan on getting to Ram Head by 6:30. Keep in mind that civil twilight on either night (the time when it gets too dark too see clearly) is at about 7 PM.

Of course, if it's cloudy, all bets are off. :) Have fun no matter what you decide. Wish we could join you.
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

I just did this in January and consider it a MUST DO for all future vacations whenever Mother Nature cooperates. Go up before sunset..take some snacks if you are so inclined. Get a good seat and enjoy the show.

It was cloudy in the east and the moon had technically already 'risen' before we could get eyes on it, but this did not damper the event. It was AMAZING. I have some pics that I can post in a couple of days. Although they really did not do the evening justice. Small flashlight or headlamp will suffice for the return trip.

Wish I could join you!
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Hey Sun4MySoul,
Full Moon May 27th
Moon Rise is at 6:48 PM

sounds like a good day to spend the afternoon at larry's and then hike to Ram's Head...

FYI, Those who are interested...
Sunrise/Sunset and Moonrise/Moonset info is here:
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomi ... a-services

John
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
Sun4MySoul

Post by Sun4MySoul »

TrvlJohn-

I. Love. You.

Seriously. 8)
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Teddy Salad wrote:Teddy's putting on his astronomer hat here.

Moonrise on St. John on March 29th (full moon) is at 6:18 PM. However, sunset is at 6:32 PM so the sun will still be up when the moon is rising. That might be what you're looking for, a moonrise then a sunset 14 minutes later.

If you go on the 30th, moonrise is at 7:19 PM and the sun will be about 12 degrees below the horizon, which means it will be pretty dark. The moonrise will be much more spectacular than on the previous night, and the moon will still be almost full, but safety getting back might be a concern for you. If you have plenty of good lighting and want to see both the sunset and a moonrise in fairly dark skies and don't mind waiting about 45 minutes between events, you should do this on the 30th and plan on getting to Ram Head by 6:30. Keep in mind that civil twilight on either night (the time when it gets too dark too see clearly) is at about 7 PM.

Of course, if it's cloudy, all bets are off. :) Have fun no matter what you decide. Wish we could join you.
I concur that Teddy's intel is better than the Old farmer's Moonrise tables. Their sun rise is also off by an hour too.

7:18 on March 30...whoo hoo it's the day we arrive
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

Bigcheeze wrote:
Teddy Salad wrote:Teddy's putting on his astronomer hat here.

I concur that Teddy's intel is better than the Old farmer's Moonrise tables. Their sun rise is also off by an hour too.

7:18 on March 30...whoo hoo it's the day we arrive
Hmmm... off by an hour - sounds like a time zone issue. Have fun, wish we were going.
paulandtracie

Post by paulandtracie »

We will be arriving from Michigan on the 29th and would love to do the hike but since we don't land in STT until 3:30 I doubt if we'd make it. Sounds like a very cool hike. Looks like Miss Lucy's on the 30th for us!
augie

Post by augie »

We're hoping to be able to take the boys to STJ for a week some time this summer. This thread has me looking at dates that would have us on island for the full moon!

Thanks, folks!
Come see us!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Just bumping this up 'cause the full moon is a comin'!
I don't think we have a consensus about what evening were doing this hike, but I'll be consulting with BillVT (and Pia?) when I arrive to see if there's a preference.

Chime in if you'd like to join us and which day will work for you - Monday, March 29 or Tuesday, March 30.

Lovermont

oh - look at my ticker :D
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

We dont arrive until March 30th and we have a group of 11 ranging in age from 7 to 73...so,a hike is out and we'll be traveling all day from Michigan.

We were thinking about getting a drink at Island Blues about 6 ish and see what we do next...

Dave
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

OK... were on for Monday night (3/29/10) for the full moon hike. Anyone who wants to join BillVT & gang and Lovermont & hubby, meet us at the Salt Pond parking lot at 5:30. I've never done this, but I think that a flashlight or headlamp is a good idea for the walk back from Ram Head.

Lovermont
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I want to go!!! Wish I was still there!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I'll be with ya in spirit. It sounds incredible!
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

I'll be thinking about you all tomorrow evening and will wish for no clouds and sure footing on the trek back! Take lots of pics! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
darkanddietwithlime

Post by darkanddietwithlime »

The hike sounds great. Unfortunately we won't be able to go. However, we would be interested in Miss Lucy's Full Moon Party. Does anyone know if there is a website for Miss Lucy's? I have googled but not come up with one. Thanks.