Any astronomer types on the forum?

Travel discussion for St. John
caribemom

Any astronomer types on the forum?

Post by caribemom »

I've always wanted to see the Southern Cross constellation. (Cue up Crosby Stills, Nash and Young of course!) I'm not an avid star watcher, but I can find the Big Dipper. Does anyone know if, where, and when I might view it the first week of June? We will be staying in Coral bay for a few days and then on the south west end for a few more. :roll:
loria

Post by loria »

< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
caribemom

Post by caribemom »

thank you... that gives me the clues to look in the right place. I just may find it!
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

The first time I saw the southern cross on STJ I was so thrilled ! People tried to tell me I wouldn't be able to see it that far north but you most definitely can see it at latitude 18, at certain times.

I've viewed it in the middle of the night whenever we have stayed on the Coral Bay side of the island (Jan-March timeframe), and had a clear and open sky view.

The last few visits we've stayed on the north side of the island. I was hoping, this past trip, to see it when we were staying on the tippety top of Catherineberg but it wasn't tippety top enough.

:-/
lprof

Post by lprof »

... no longer a stranger to paradise
caribemom

Post by caribemom »

Awesome websites! I tried googling too, but didn't find anything near as helpful.
I've looked for SC once before when I was on a sailboat in the BVI's. I crawled out of bed in the middle of the night...and looked south (I think) and I saw something that may have been the Southern Cross. I'm looking forward to trying again and being more sure this time. Thanks!
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

The best time to search for the Southern Cross is around June 22 (highest in the sky then.) Its quite visible facing due south towards STX, provided that conditions are favorable (no haze, cloudiness, etc.) at around 800-900pm. Helps if you have some altitude looking in that direction.

There's a "false Southern Cross", so you might want to brush up on the distinctions b/w the two.

Took me about 4 summertime visits to finally see it, but it was one of those "Ah Ha!" moments when I did.

Yeah, I'm geeky in that regard. Love sitting in a hottub, counting the satellites.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

You are in luck, weather permitting and if you have an unobstructed view of the Southern horizon. May and early June are the best times of the year for viewing the Southern Cross without having to get up in the middle of the night.

The first week in June if you look directly South as it's getting dark, about 8 PM, you should be able to see it pretty much in the upright position. It will be fairly low in the sky. Later in the evening, you will still be able to see it, but it will move slightly westward and tilt toward the right. After about 11 PM, it will start to set. It looks more like a kite than a cross to me. I never miss a chance to see it when I'm in the tropics.
caribemom

Post by caribemom »

Perfect timing and locations for us! We'll be able to see south for the whole week. I'm going to scour the horizon from our hot tub every evening! Now if the weather will cooperate...the extended forecast is looking pretty cloudy. Also, will the moon affect visibility?
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

I actually just downloaded an app for my Android...there's probably one for yoou iPhone folks, too. Google SkyMap. I haven't used it yet, but it looks promising assuming you have wifi or data service to your phone while in STJ.

Last June, my wife and I stayed at Bongo Bongo, and not only was there a telescope, but they had a SkyScout. You can google it, but it basically lets you point it toward a star, constellation, moon, etc. and it will then tell you what you're looking at and some basic facts about it. A pretty cool gadget for us geeky techno types.
KT
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

caribemom wrote:Perfect timing and locations for us! We'll be able to see south for the whole week. I'm going to scour the horizon from our hot tub every evening! Now if the weather will cooperate...the extended forecast is looking pretty cloudy. Also, will the moon affect visibility?
Good timing for you regarding the moon also. Moonrise on May 30th (not sure when you arrive) is at 9:26 PM. May 31st moonrise is at 10:09 PM and gets progressively later during the week. So, the moon will still be set during prime Southern Cross viewing the first week in June. (Southern) crossing my fingers for clear evening skies for you. :D
LMG

Post by LMG »

This is very cool. My mother is actually the astronomy geek, and she'll be on her first trip to the islands in mid-June and I know she's already looking forward to the night sky viewing (or whatever you star people call it :) ). I tried looking for a SkyMap app for iPhone but the only one there is appears to be for aircraft pilots, and it's $250! Guess we'll just have to use the map and her brain.

Thanks for the heads up!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

That Google Sky Map is really cool---almost makes me wish I had an Android rather than an iphone.

We thought we saw the Southern Cross around midnight or 1 A.M. in early February from our villa above Klein Bay, but it could have just been the rum and the C,S & N playing---we weren't sure.
---Jim