Runners on the forum?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
XOXO

Runners on the forum?

Post by XOXO »

I have just started running/jogging and love it. I wondered if there were any other forum members that run. I am considering doing a C25K. Anyone want to join me?

The only thing I am struggling with (and the reason for this post) is controlling my breath. In HS long distance running I was told to use the the joggers breath (2 in nose and 2 out the mouth). That is working ok but I was told that isn't the current recommendation. And, I admit, that I have to stop breathing with the joggers breath to catch my breath. So, how do I control my breath?

xoxo
JT

Post by JT »

Gina, it was pretty darn hot here today and tomorrow they're talking over 100F. The talk, or even thought, of running scares me.Many years ago I used to run. Then I got a bicycle. Then God gave me keys to a car. I figured if She wanted me to run She wouldn't have given me the keys to the car. Now I have a neighbor that tries to keep up with his ultra-marathon running girlfriend. By "ultra", I'm talking 100 miles. He ran one and she was in front of him going," Come on,Baby, you can do it!" When they finished she went to the lodge and drank beer. He stayed in his room and was so de-hydrated that he didn't even pee for 3 days. Screw it. I'm driving!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Well, JT, I love how you have progressed. I have progressed almost exactly the same way but I have regressed back to running. I have thought about getting the bike out again to ride in ragbrai a couple of days. Progressive, right?

Your poor neighbor. I am peeing just fine. Let me guess . . . The ultra marathoner is 10-20 years younger than your neighbor, right? Serves him right to have problems with his anatomy, if that is the case.

I did a little research and my breathing was wrong. I am not getting enough air in through my nose. Also, the short breaths are wrong. I am looking forward to seeing if I have a better wrong tomorrow.

xoxo
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

XOXO wrote:Well, JT, I love how you have progressed. I have progressed almost exactly the same way but I have regressed back to running. I have thought about getting the bike out again to ride in ragbrai a couple of days. Progressive, right?

Your poor neighbor. I am peeing just fine. Let me guess . . . The ultra marathoner is 10-20 years younger than your neighbor, right? Serves him right to have problems with his anatomy, if that is the case.

I did a little research and my breathing was wrong. I am not getting enough air in through my nose. Also, the short breaths are wrong. I am looking forward to seeing if I have a better wrong tomorrow.

xoxo

Gina when you master breathing thru your ears please let me know. lol
Berlingirl

Post by Berlingirl »

I was very active in a running schedule until a few years ago when I twisted an ankle while skiing. It was the beginning of my physical downfall so to speak. I've been toying with the idea of getting back into it, but haven't had the motivation. I might be ready now...what are you using for motivation Gail?
Hoping for a USVI ticker in 2013!
stjohnrunner

Breathing while running

Post by stjohnrunner »

Hi,

The best way I have found to breath is the 2-2 method. Breathing in every 2 steps and out the other 2. You will be taking one full inhale and exhale every 4 steps. Also it is very helpful to "Belly Breath" Take as much oxygen into your core in a relaxed manner as possible.You can get a lot more oxygen in through the mouth than the nose. Oxygen is vital deep into the core to maintain strength and endurance. On a 25K (15.5 miles) you will need this.

I run year round full time on St. John and often find my breathing erratic, especially going up our hills here. This is when I concentrate on proper breathing. It can be almost Mantra like if you follow and surrender to your breath. Listening closely to your breath, sans I-Pod, and you will flow into a graceful pattern. Once your breathing is flowing you will find your running economy improves.

Good luck with the 25k, that is an awesome goal. If you are ever on St. John I will run with you. And always remember "Aging does not stop you from running, running stops you from aging" Be Well and Run Free!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Hello -

I had a late start in life to running and am quite injury prone (bad knee) - but I miss it when I can't. By saying C25K, I assume you mean the Couch to 5k program - I used that to get started and found it helpful. There is a podcast with some strange music (IMO), but it helps you with the timing of each different leg of the training.

I can't help you with the breathing, but I would take Luigi's advice. My husband is also a runner, but more of the marathon distance and he's really fast - beat me by over an hour in my first half marathon last year...... :twisted:

My motto is "Be the Turtle" - so I keep plodding along at my own pace! Good luck to you!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
stjohnrunner

C25K.... 5K not 25K.... oops!!

Post by stjohnrunner »

Hi Tracy,

Thanx for the clarification. I am a distance runner so I saw 25k and..... oh well!! I was wondering what the 'C' meant in front of the 25K. I would like to run with you and your husband when you are on St. John. I have a runners blog that you can reach me through. I am not very active on this forum, in fact stjohnjulie e-mailed me that someone was looking for running advice so I logged on today. My e-mail is available through the blog. I have the utmost respect for runners of ALL levels. Times and paces vary like everything else in life. Be Well and Run Free.

http://stjohnrunner.blogspot.com/
lark22

Post by lark22 »

I'm an on-again, off-again runner (these days, mostly off!!) whao generally lingers in the the 3-6 mile range, so I'm not in Luigi's league at all, so keep that in mind!!

That said, my advice would be to not worry about the breathing at all in the beginning -- I've done the Couch to 5k several times to get back oin the swing after too much down time, and I find that if I just concentrate on a nice easy pace, the breathing takes care of itself (I'm not sure whether I breathe through my nose or mouth -- I just make sure I'm getting lots of oxygen!)

It's great that you're considering the C 2 5k program -- I have friends who get all excited about beginning to run, but then ramp up the distances too quickly and end up with a knee injury that knocks them out of training for months. Slow and steady is the way to do it!! 8)
LMG

Post by LMG »

Another runner here. C25K is a great program for beginners or, as mentioned previously, someone looking to get back into the routine of running.

Breathing while running and training yourself to breathe a certain way while running or doing any aerobic activity is very individual. Over the years I've had a lot of people try to teach me different ways, claiming I'll be faster, less tired, have more endurance, etc. BUT, for the recreational athlete, the best advice I know is just to find what works for you.

With just having begun, I can't imagine it's anything you really need to assess immediately. It can be different depending on the distance and speed you're running, and even the terrain.

A better tip, in my opinion, is to concentrate on your heart rate. A good rule of thumb is that the intensity of running can be determined by your ability to talk. If you could carry on a conversation, yet still be breathing heavy, that is a good "pace." If you're working so hard that you can't get any words out, then that would be considered an intense pace for you at your current fitness level. The good thing about this test is that it will work no matter your fitness level. And, by using the "talk test" you can also determine how well you can breathe, and perhaps find a good rhythm with that, too.
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

LMG wrote: A better tip, in my opinion, is to concentrate on your heart rate. A good rule of thumb is that the intensity of running can be determined by your ability to talk. If you could carry on a conversation, yet still be breathing heavy, that is a good "pace." If you're working so hard that you can't get any words out, then that would be considered an intense pace for you at your current fitness level. The good thing about this test is that it will work no matter your fitness level. And, by using the "talk test" you can also determine how well you can breathe, and perhaps find a good rhythm with that, too.
You might look funny talking to yourself though if you're a solo runner...... :wink:
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
augie

Post by augie »

For stjohnrunner - my son will be with us on island next week, and he plans to run so that he won't lose the conditioning he's been working on ahead of his high school cross country and soccer seasons.

We're staying in the area near Cocolobo Plaza in Coral Bay. I was thinking he could run along the road from there towards the East End, past Skinny's.

Any reason that you wouldn't recommend that route? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Come see us!
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Running at the pace where I can still carry on a conversation, well, they call that walking. ;-)

I have started hitting the elliptical for the first time in years and am surprising myself big time. First day I did 45 minutes, the next two I have managed an hour. My previous best, pre-littlest kid, was about 35-40 minutes and I hated every second. Not sure what has changed!

Good luck with the running. I am with JT, unless I am being chased by someone I don't think I can take in a fight, I am not down!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
stjohnrunner

@ Augie

Post by stjohnrunner »

@Augie...... That is one of the flattest places on St. John. I run out in coral bay every time my son goes to KATS, Kid and the Sea, and that flat stretch is always welcome after the hills. Also out at Maho Bay Beach you can run to Francis and then out to Leinster, all fairly flat and some of the most pristine views anywhere from sea level. Both areas are very low traffic zones compared to most of St. John. I take it you are a regular here so you know it is in the low 80's this time of year at dawn at sea level with high humidity so plan accordingly for the run and try to convince a teenager (good luck) to SLOW Down and take in lots of fluids and carbs for longer runs. Out at Maho a swim after the run is always a good way to cool down and get some extra training in. Running out Leinster trail is a spectacular run and go behind the beach along the trail which will lead you to the base of Johnny horn Trail marked by a big rock and Sign and back out and up to coral Bay along the Johnny Horn Trail if he wants to be a little more adventurous and tackle some steep hills and trails. You come back out across from the ball field at the Moravian church. Get a copy of Gerald singers book "Off the Beaten Path" if you do not already have one. Have fun and Be Well.