Update - Called Verizon - Texting on SJ

Travel discussion for St. John
VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl

Update - Called Verizon - Texting on SJ

Post by VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl »

Verizon said that when you get on the island, you can hit *228 (or something similar - I have it written down) and that will connect you with a USVI tower. They said they have a reciporcity agreement with a USVI cell company. And that this would connect you to their tower on St John. Does that sound right? Thanks!

"Anyone get home and find they have incredible bills due to texting? We are traveling with 3 college students and one teen. I have told them that their phones need to be off, but I am afraid they will text friends or use blackberry to connect to sites to share messages! We are staying on the Coral Bay side, high in the hillside. Will the texting result in horrible roaming charges?"
Last edited by VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl on Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moose

Post by Moose »

To answer your question, probably.

If there phones are set to roam they will definitely connect to the BVIs if you are on the east end of the island. I was connected to the BVIs at both Maho and Salt Pond today.

Call your cell provider and see if you have an international roaming/texting add on that you can take off after you get back.

In Cruz I have no problem connecting to Sprint, both voice and data.
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. ~ Daniel Burnham
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Yes, especially if you have Verizon!! Roaming charges are outrageous. Next trip we will be purchasing an ATT phone to use while on STJ.
EastEnder

Post by EastEnder »

I am on the East End and have full bars on AT&T 3G network. I found coverage to be best here and in Cruz Bay, with spotty coverage throughout the national park e.g. Francis Bay.

Data roaming has been disabled on my phone.
BeAsUR

Post by BeAsUR »

Oh my gosh! Just got the Verizon bill...we were there on STJ 2 weeks ago...HUGE roaming fees
Here's a toast to you on the coast....

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
sailorgirl

Re: Texting on SJ

Post by sailorgirl »

VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl wrote:Anyone get home and find they have incredible bills due to texting? We are traveling with 3 college students and one teen. I have told them that their phones need to be off, but I am afraid they will text friends or use blackberry to connect to sites to share messages! We are staying on the Coral Bay side, high in the hillside. Will the texting result in horrible roaming charges?
How about taking the phones away? Plan B when the bill comes in hand it to them.
steve

Post by steve »

For most plans I have found incoming texts are free, outgoing are $$$ like $1 each for ATT. We always have wireless (Wifi) in the Villa we rent and we use a txting app for I phones and IPods ( we use TEXTIE but there are others). Quite free!! The screen looks like your Message page on the I phone. The kids with Ipods and have also found they can down load apps for free VOIP using headsets. Unless we have an ATT signal phones for kids are off.
Often I can force my I phone to find ATT, the signal may be weak in places but good enough for a quick call.

Have Fun
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

If you are on Verizon and have an Android phone, download Skype and use it. I found out about that too late.

One of our kids had a medical emergency back home while we were on the island. Many many phone calls were necessary to coordinate care. The bill was several hundred dollars.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

When we were there in 08, I called Verizon before we left and they told me no additional charges for texting. And there were none on the bill. Call your provider and double check...
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

I use Verizon and stay in Cruz Bay. No problems with signal or anything like that. Was sending text messages home and to another forum folk on the other side in Coral Bay with no extra charges. Roaming charges are high. Bill came to $300 plus for both our phones. That was even when we only turned them on when we needed them.
Life begins where the land ends!
equineannie

Texting

Post by equineannie »

Definitely check you carrier. Those people with a nationwide ATT plan, with texting program included, usually come out OK. Am not a heavy text-er; only use my i Phone for business.

Also, in Asia a lot of people bought cheap pay as you go phones...
VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl

Post by VirginiaPatsRedsoxGirl »

bumping up after edit. Thx!
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

For Verizon, I added the "international calling plan" before I left. Then *228 and again when I return home.
I think the text were .05 coming in and .25 each going out. Never had a problem with roaming fees as I only used the text option. Did the same thing last time I was in Mexico, Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica. I think it is the same anywhere in central america and the Caribbean.
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

I hope it is right. I have been told about the *221 ir 22 something when travelling out state. When I looked into it retrospectively, I was told that USVI isn't part of the international plan with Verizon. Maybe it has changed since May/early June, I certainly hope so. I would love not to have hundreds of dollars worth of roaming charges.
Wakey

Post by Wakey »

kristen1206 wrote:When we were there in 08, I called Verizon before we left and they told me no additional charges for texting. And there were none on the bill. Call your provider and double check...
Same here.. I wore out my phone while I was there with no overages.

I did see a BVI tower pop up a few times but did not use the phone while out on the water.

Different plans I guess.