wierd cat behavior--need advice asap

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
loria

wierd cat behavior--need advice asap

Post by loria »

so , as many of you know, oour older cat died a while ago-- after a few weeks i brought a new cat into the family--we had our Male cat, Oreo, (who is about 7 now)--he hasn't adjusted well to the new kitten-- we have been showing him (Oreo) lots of love but he has become very twisted--and i have to also say he is an outdoor cat and has not (my VERY VERY bad --had a recent rabies shot--i am reluctant to give them to older cats)
but now i am wondering what is going on--he is growling at us, SERIOUSLY --he has NEVER EVER been this way before (growling at kids, etc) and clawing us--again--this was the most gentle of cats--I am keeping him in and keeping an eye on him-- but i have NEVER had a cat reactthis way and so i am really worried---he gets in scrapes (but nothing crazy and nothing very recent that i can tell) His behavior is puzzeling me though --i don'tthink he is Rabid. but this is simply wierd (and he's getting shots asap--i don;t need this worry on my head)
advice?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
JT

Post by JT »

Though we are also reluctant to give older cats un-needed shots, any cat that spends any time outside must be vaccinated for rabies.Your older cat sounds like he just has a case of the ass about the new cat being there. It can be a very stressful time for the new and the old and for the humans involved. Sometimes something as simple as adding a second litter pan will alleviate the worst of the adjustment blues. I wish you luck!
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

He could be hurt and this is his way of "gaurding" the injury. Hope all turns out well, Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
djmom

Post by djmom »

Once rabies and an injury (great advice, Laura D) are ruled out, I think the litter box change is a great idea. I think it might also be nice to have a few hours a day where the kitty is put in a bathroom (with the fan on to drown out the whining) and big cat is allowed to roam freely without kitty in the way.

I must say my older cat growled when he got sick. It turned out it was a piece of curling ribbon it ate and wound through his intestine, creating basically a tumor that got walled off by his body.

Sadly it was not until after an autopsy that we found out what happened.

I add this story because with the holidays we all need to be sure to put our ribbon away to protect our kitties!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Chet

Post by Chet »

Yeah - what JT said: outside cats must be vaccinated. We grew up in the country with cats, dogs, horses, a few steer, and a random goat. All lived in the great outdoors. But there were some difficulties socializing...

We now live in town, and the cats live outside. A couple of older cats went to mousie heaven and we picked up a pair of orange brothers last year. They joined the one long-haired, Spike. Spike has had a case of the ass ever since - but it has moderated over time.

So Loria - your cat may get over it, he may not. A pecking order will be established. Just remember, you are at the top of the order. Cuff them when they get out of line, and snap your fingers. Now when I snap my fingers the guys fall right in line.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Loria,

I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Word of advice on vaccines....I too was also lax on getting my cats vaccinated as they got older. Both were indoor so I stopped doing it.

In August two years ago, we had a flea problem because of my dogs. When I took the cats in for boarding (so we could get rid of the fleas), they asked me if I wanted to update their shots. I felt guilty and said yes and then promptly forgot about it.

In September, I noticed a lump on my cats right front shoulder and I thought - ugh, it's cancer (my dog had died from cancer the December before). So, she was 13 and I thought, okay, I'm not going to torture her, she seemed fine so I would just let it be. I know many of you wouldn't agree to this but seriously, we sometimes do more for us then for them.

In December, I was away overnight and when I came home, she had licked the lump raw and it was bleeding. Took her to the vet and they thought it was a bite from my other cat.

I told them that that wasn't it that the lump had been there and they still thought it was just a cut and aspirated it. It came back as unclear. In the mean time, we treated her with antibiotics.

It wasn't getting better and since the biopsy was unclear they wanted to remove it. At this point, we realized that she had had shots and that they thought it could be a vaccination sarcoma. So, when your kids get vaccinated, they send you home with a sheet so you know what to check for and maybe all of you do know signs and symptoms but I didn't.

This is well documented that this can happen and now they have protocols where the know to stick certain vaccines in certain spots so that they can track any adverse event.

Well, they removed it in early January but by April, I had to make the very sad decision to put her down. The cancer had spread to her lungs and she was not doing well at all. She was a great cat!

Ok, so the moral of my story is to be more informed then I was and to also ask what to look for and also to question what shots are truly necessary.

Sorry for the rant.
NancyB
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We had a similar problem with our 17 yo male but in our case, he turned on his 16 yo "sister" cat. They were companions for 16 years so the behavior was shocking.

At the time, the female was dying and I think he was rejecting her. We, by association, were included in his rejection. I was confident he wasn't sick, injured or in pain. But if I were you, I would get your cat checked out to rule out a physical problem.

At its worst, he acted like a crazed animal. I was honestly concerned for my safety, I thought he was going to attack me. It was very upsetting, especially for our son.

We have a cabin and what we did was take the female cat with us and left the angry male at home. I came back the next day to check on him and he again screamed (Siamese) at me and lashed out. After a half hour, he left me brush him but would not allow me to touch him with my hands, only the brush.

When we came home the next day, he acted normal to us but avoided his cat sister for a number of days. They never returned to being friends.

I agree with seperating them if possible for a while and you should try adding another litter box to the house. There is a chance they might just not be compatible.
loria

Post by loria »

thanks all--yeah, I know that the big guy should be vaccinated (he has been in the past) but i heard so many bad stories (and trust me--i DO KNOW that vaccines are neccesary--I work in public heath and have had to get post exposure rabies shots myself (when i was 7 months pregnant to boot--) Nancy--what a horrible story I am so sorry for you and your cat--
PAgirl, that's really a hard story--It sounds just like what is happening with Oreo--though he did sleep on my bed all night last night and was fine and friendly --this morning when he wanted to go outside (and i didn't want him too) he got really snarly--and was hissing and spitting--VERY uncharactertistic for him --the thing that confuses me is that while the little kitty was not his favorite thing (he would hiss a bit or swat) the past couple of days have been a whole new level of angry....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I say sequester the little kitty in an extra room for a couple of days with his own food & litter, and let Oreo have the run of the rest of the house, along with a completely clean litter pan. See if Oreo's mood changes and then you'll know. You may have to find another home for the little guy or risk driving your original kitty nuts. :(

We had to give up an extra bedroom for a cat once. But we were the new home and it was a feral cat. (someone else "rescued" her and then couldn't socialize her and couldn't return her to the wild so we were her "new" family.) Yikes! She eventually became somewhat socialized, but she had her own room lined with plastic sheeting on the floor for a number of weeks until she decided to be nice to our original cats.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I volunteered at a cat shelter for years before we moved recently. It's a non profit run by a nice older woman who is a bit of a crazy cat lady. Anyway, she's had so much experience that she's always full of ideas and I regularly refer her to people. If you're interested I could PM you with her number and you could give her a call...I'm sure she'd love to talk to you.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Connie

Post by Connie »

I have three cats and one of them is the most agressive cat I've ever had.

Tiki use to be an outdoor cat, but after 600.00 in vet bills in one month, we decided that was it.

Tiki is not going to be the Alpha male in this house, so when he attacks another cat (the female), or he comes at me, I put him right down. I'm not saying I hit him, I don't believe in that. I get him by the scruff of the neck and the back and I hold him until he stops the behavior. It's really is starting to work.

Agressive behavior is one of the hardest things to work with, so I wish you alot of luck.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Did someone else here recc. an additional litter box? I would recc. that.

I would also recc. alone time for the older cat, with you or without. If you are with him, give hime treats or something.

I worked at a vet and we saw feline leukemia a lot. As well as rabid animals. I would recc at least those two shots. But outdoor cats should get the whole range of shots at least once every three years.