What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Since it is so close to the holidays, maybe you might want to read Augusten Burrough's book You Better not Cry, and/or David Sedaris' Holidays on Ice. I reread Burroughs last week and am rereading Sedaris now. I just love their warped sense of humor.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I was up until all hours last night reading Zeitoun by David Eggers. It is the story about one family's experience during the post-Katrina weeks. Quite an interesting and disturbing story.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

PA Girl, I bought that one last week and it is next on my list.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

It is a good read. Very straight forward and bare bones but in a good way. Normally human suffering stuff (fiction on non-fiction) puts me over the edge but this book fascinated me rather then disturbed me.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

AH wrote:I didn't get Stephen King's new book yet but I did pick up a copy of one of his older books of short stories "Just After Sunset". I usually don't like short stories but this one is pretty good. The final story is called "A Very Tight Place" and it was a little too graphic for me. Let me just say the story involves a port-a-pottie. :shock: :roll:
AH
I think I read this collection as well. Was there a story in there that involved inflicting lotsa pain with a manual can opener? The kind you lock on and turn the handle? Seriously yuck. And not Christmas-y at all. Sorry I brought it up.
AH

Post by AH »

LysaC wrote:
AH wrote:I didn't get Stephen King's new book yet but I did pick up a copy of one of his older books of short stories "Just After Sunset". I usually don't like short stories but this one is pretty good. The final story is called "A Very Tight Place" and it was a little too graphic for me. Let me just say the story involves a port-a-pottie. :shock: :roll:
AH
I think I read this collection as well. Was there a story in there that involved inflicting lotsa pain with a manual can opener? The kind you lock on and turn the handle? Seriously yuck. And not Christmas-y at all. Sorry I brought it up.
Lysa-No, no story in the collection I read involving a can opener that I remember. King's imagination in the gross department is beyond the normal person's realm. And I mean that in a good way. :lol:
AH
AH

Post by AH »

Finished "Aruba" by Dave Holloway. Natalee Holloway's father tells his story of his daughter's disappearance and his experiences in Aruba dealing with trying to find the truth of what really happened to her. There was a lot of repeat of information throughout the book so it was a bit hard to stay interested. Much of the information he shares in the book was not heard on the news here in the states.
AH
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

I just finished Don't Stop the Carnival. It has been along time time since I laughed out loud(almost howling if people were not asleep around me)while reading a book. :lol: Also just finished Running with Scissors which was different but also a good read. Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
AH

Post by AH »

Our son and his wife are on a trip on Amtrak for the holidays so with that in mind I read "The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci.
AH
AH

Post by AH »

I read "Hoda" by Hoda Kotb. I admit I watch her on the Today Show and was interested in learning more about her.
AH
AH

Post by AH »

Hey am I the only one reading these days? :roll: It's a long book and another old book by Stephen King, "Bag of Bones". Don't know how I missed reading it when it first came out.
AH
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am off to the library today, armed with a new reading list. Will report back.

A W.E.B Griffith book, the Hunter or Shooters (?) made its way into our house. I just finished that - sort of the military guy's version of chick lit.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Struggling through Gary Del'Abbate's "They Call Me Baba Booey" LOL. Struggling.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Zeitoun was amazing. I guess I had blocked out the whole Camp Greyhound thing. Totally shocking and sad that he was treated like that, not to mention the fact that it even existed given the other ways those vital resources could have been deployed. Just my opinion.

Other recents: Into the Wild. I didn't think Krakauer would be able to convince me that the boy wasn't mentally ill, but he did. Horrible, sad.

Long Song, Andrea Levy. Excellent book! I liked it even more than Small Island.

Two more "real books" to go before I start uploading everything to my new ipad.
AH

Post by AH »

liamsaunt wrote:

Other recents: Into the Wild. I didn't think Krakauer would be able to convince me that the boy wasn't mentally ill, but he did. Horrible, sad.

I agree! I also felt very sad after reading this one.
AH