Furniture and Quality

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Greenskeeper

Furniture and Quality

Post by Greenskeeper »

I am looking to buy new sofas. I like the Pottery Barn Comfort sofas as I can get a 93" and 84". They are very comfortable in the store but am not sure of long term wear. I have read that the cushions do start to sag. I believe Rowe makes their sofas. They are slipcovered so I like that I can change out the covers by the season and are machine washable.

Anyone have experience with Rowe or PB? Anyone recommend something else? I am tired of throw away furniture and want to buy something that will last.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Unless it has changed, I think Mitchell Gold Bob Williams makes the Pottery Barn sofas.

I am also looking for 2 or possibly three. I am having a hard time because there are some I like in catalogs (Ballard Designs in particular) that I can't sit in. There are a few at Crate and Barrel that I really like and are very comfortable, but they are pretty pricey. If they go on sale I will probably pounce.

Then the dilemma of slipcover vs. upholstery. The sofa I have now is upholstered cotton velvet and although it is nice, it shows water stains.

You would think with the furniture market in my backyard (1 1/2 hours) it would be easy but if I drive all the way there, then I can't really go home and look at colors, etc...I have trouble making decisions.

So this thread will be very interesting to me and any help would be appreciated by me also!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Not upholstered, but I do have leather sofas and chairs from Pottery Barn. They have held up very well. My niece and nephew crawl all over them (and probably jump on them when I am not looking). They look brand new and they're about 4 years old.

The only PITA about buying from Pottery Barn is that their stuff takes FOREVER to arrive. Those couches/chairs took 6 months to arrive. We have a coffee table from them that took 9 months to show up!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

All of our comfy furniture is Lee. As far as I know, Lee is still manufactured in the US. We have two leather couches, two upholstered chairs, one slip covered chair and one slip covered couch. The oldest piece is 6+ years old and still looks great.

I have mixed feelings on the slip covered pieces.

I don't wash them nearly as much as I thought I would because the instructions, as told to me, were to NOT dry the covers in the dryer. It is supposively ok to "get the worst of the water out" but the covers should be put back on while damp. To me, that is a huge PITA.

Also, both covers are twill and even though the covers are fitted, the covers seem to migrate around. My husband adjusts the one cover daily as he doesn't like seeing the piping seam off to the side of the arm.

I would absolutely buy Lee again but I don't know if I would do slip covers.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Just learned something. Lee makes furniture for Crate and Barrel. Not sure if it is all of the sofas or not.

Also they have a showroom in Highpoint NC, which is about 1/ 1/2-2 hours away....hmmmm.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes Mitchell Gold makes the PB furniture and here is a link to their slipcovered furniture......

http://www.mgandbw.com/sofacol_new.asp.

I currently have a Mitchell Gold slipcovered loveseat which is great for island living but do be aware that the new slipcovers for both PB and MG are not cheap - $675.00 for our new slipcovers for a loveseat :shock:

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Thanks for all the replies....I'm even more confused. LOL I've been living with this room for 2 1/2 years to get a feel for what we need.

Pia- how do you like the slip cover look? I love the practicality of it and the fact that I could change out covers by the season. With teenagers and a big old yellow lab cleanability is a must. I just like a neat look and wonder if they look rumpled or saggy? These sofas will get heavy use.

I considered leather but my husband has a really nice leather chair in the room already and I don't think I could match it nor would I want to. I think it would give a very masculine look to the room with 3 big leather pieces.

I have heard the PB delivery nightmares. I'd love to get something ASAP but am willing to wait if it's what I really want.

One place I did count out is Boston Interiors. People told me they are the same as PB with lower prices but the reality is if you compare the same construction, the prices are the same if not better at a sale at PB.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

If you want a cheaper alternative to Pottery Barn that (I think) holds up well check out JC Penny. I know, sounds weird, but EVERYONE asks us if our living room furniture (twill covered sofa, leather chair and ottoman and coffee table) are from Pottery Barn or Crate & Barrel. Fraction of the cost. We've had it for 8+ years and it still looks new.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

To those of you with pets and leather furniture, how well does the leather hold up? We would love to get all new leather furniture for or living room/family room but, our dog LIVES on our couches.

We currently have upholstered couches (that are a good 18 years old) and the pooch has done a really wonderful job of making them look even more horrible than they were. He tends to hide bones and toys under the cushions which he'll "dig out" later and uses the couches as a launching pad for play time. Changing his behavior is out of the question.

The thing I hate about upholstered furniture and a shedding dog, is well, the dog hair/dog smell. I would think that leather would be much, much easier to maintain (a daily wipe down and occasional saddle soap) than upholstery (pull out the big vacuum, attach attachments, sprinkle dry cleaner on, attempt to vacuum up all hair). But, I don't want to spend an ungodly amount of money on brand new furniture and have it get all scratched up or worry about it all of the time.

Thoughts?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I don't have a dog but a husband, 5 yo and a fully clawed cat, none of who gives any thought to keeping the furniture "nice"

I specifically got leather couches because I was sick of the hair, spills and food messes on the fabric couches.

The type of leather makes a difference in how much you will notice scratches.

Both of our couches are a casual style. The leather reminds me of an old Coach purse or a well-softened baseball glove, it has some heft and thickness to it. The scratches sort of add to the patina. One is dark brown and I can rub the worst of the scratches away. The other is the color of a new baseball glove and I don't even notice scratches.

At the other end of the spectrum, my aunt has super-supple, dark green leather furniture in very formal style that seems to scratch if you merely walk by the arm of the sofa.

Concerning the cushions, the cushions are attached to both of our couches, I can't take them off so that might drive you dog bats if he can't get his toys under the cushions.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

PA Girl wrote: Concerning the cushions, the cushions are attached to both of our couches, I can't take them off so that might drive you dog bats if he can't get his toys under the cushions.
OMG, that would drive him nutty. BUT, getting new couches will scare the bejezzzes out of him as it is. I believe he would adapt.

I'd like to learn a little more about various leather types.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

There are many, many different types and grades of leather. Our best friend owns a furniture store so he picked for us and said "trust me, this is what is best for your house"
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

flip-flop wrote:If you want a cheaper alternative to Pottery Barn that (I think) holds up well check out JC Penny.
We got our sectional from JC Penny and it's held up really well! We always get compliments on it. And yes, it does sound weird... I don't even know how we ended up at Penny's when we were shopping for a new sofa!
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

Thanks for all the replies. Since my first post, I have decided against the Pottery Barn slipcover sofa. I LOVE the look in the white cotton duck but the darker color I was interested in just looks messy and dirty on the sofa so that is out. I looked at a terrific leather sectional yesterday and an interior designer helped me with a room configuration that will maximize my space and really pull this room together....now of course my budget needs to almost double because of the pieces I fell in love with.

I am going to head to Gardner MA to see if I can find something comparable.

I checked out the JC Penney line. WOW, I may consider buying from them for my living room eventually. I have a Rowe chair in my loft that looks exactly like it. And then I can fulfill my need for that white slipcover look that I love so much but know is not practical at this point in our lives.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Made in the USA and is the best quality out there:

http://www.woodleys.com/