sharks in the yard!

Travel discussion for St. John
StJohnbum

sharks in the yard!

Post by StJohnbum »

We'd made it back to STJ Saturday and so far haven't done a thing and we're absolutely loving it. Just reading, relaxing and chilling out.

We're staying at a new villa on the Coral Bay side, very close to Miss Lucy's, called Lagoon Pointe. We love this villa. Nice villa, very well done with great porches but it's the location that just can't be beat.

THis is our 12th trip down to STJ and this location is by far is the best. The porch looks out over to the Eat End and Norman Island. We are right on the water, I mean right on the water. Standing on the front porch today we could see small black tip sharks swimming in the lagoon right below us. Okay, Kate says they are nurse sharks but they sure don't look like it to me and the owner said they have black tips in the lagoon often, soooooo until she proves me wrong, black tips they are!

The owner came by today, great guy, and said he saw a whale from the porch one day last week! Hoping we have the same luck.

There are not a lot of other houses around and the area is dark at night and watching the stars from the deck has been great entertainment.

The rates for this home are VERY reasonable for in season considering the great location. If your looking for a place near the water where the sounds of the waves put you into that relaxing frame of mind, this is it.

The home is listed on VBRO, in the Coral Bay section of listings. Be sure you look at Lagoon Pointe with an e on the end. There is another house with the same name without the e on the end of "pointe".

The house has wonderful breezes. If we have any complaint it would that the pool is just too cold to use at this point. That may very well be due to the strong breezes that seems to keep things cool and darn near cold.

We're off to snorkel Haulover North tomorrow but for tonight we're just going to sit on the porch and let the waves rock our troubles away.
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Sounds like the perfect start to a perfect vacation!! Enjoy!! :D
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

sounds awesome! Can't wait for a trip report!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Sounds just right to me! Enjoy the rest of your trip (and take lots of pictures to share!)
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Great Start to the week, just chilaxing
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Sounds perfect. I wanted to stay there this year, but the rest of the group voted against me. I think I'll send them your trip report! :-) Enjoy!
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

I checked out the villa website and holy smokes, those are some very incredible views. Now that you have my attention, a few questions:

How far up are you from the water? It is hard to tell in the pictures.

Is the shore easily accessible from the villa?

Does the pool have a comfortable water temperature this time of year?

Does it feel private?

Thanks!
M
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

Muhaha:

The house has decks on 2 different levels. The top deck is 40 or 50 ft above the water.

Access to the water is a breeze. They have steps from the villa that lead nearly all the way down to beach. Note the beach is a rock beach. The water directly in front of the house is a lagoon and is only a couple of feet deep, about 50 ft out the lagoon ends and your in the ocean. The lagoon is very clear and we've seen rays, sharks and other fish just from sitting on the porch and looking out.

Just off to the right of the house you can snorkel and I just got back. Very nice. Not deep but a lot of brain coral, squid, nurse sharks and lots of other fish.

I swam in the pool today but it is cold. It's not a large pool. Maybe 20 ft long but certainly enough to cool off and enjoy yourself. It's been a bit cool this week so maybe on other weeks it would be okay, but it is definitely on the cool side.

Is it private. Oh Yeah! this place is absolutely great. When your on the porches you have complete privacy. There's a house up the drive on the other side of the house but the owners of that house own 2 lots so you don't notice them at all. There is a house off to the right but it is well up a hillside and you really don't know they are there. this is probably the most private house we've had on the Island and like we said before this is out 12th trip down and we've been lucky enough to have some pretty private houses in the past.

The breezes are just unbelievable. The waves are so loud at times you almost can't hear each other talk.

The owner is an absolutely great guy. I could not recommend this house higher. They just started renting the house out in October, new construction, and the owner said everyone that has come down is booking it again for future trips. I suspect we'll do the same.

Warning: the house is perfect for 1 couple or a couple with kids. I say this because the 2 bedrooms in the main house are right next to one another and when we travel with others it's always nice to have the bedrooms on opposite ends of the house so each couple has some privacy. HOWEVER. This is easily fixed. If we come back with friends we will pay a slight up charge and rent the main house and the guest house, which is just on the other side of the swimming pool. This would give both couples privacy. The guest house is great. It has 2 levels and the bedroom in the guest house may be better than the one in the main house which is nice. The guest house has decks on both levels so each couple would have tons of privacy. It's just a great setup. The rental rates for this house are an absolute bargain.

The pictures on the web site do not do this place justice.

We have to check out Saturday and we're going to Caneel for a couple of days. Couldn't get the house next week because it was already booked. I'm sure we'll enjoy Caneel but given the choices I would never leave this place.

The house is for sale for what I think is a very reasonable 2,400,000. However reasonable doesn't mean we can afford it. But it's mine this week and we're loving every minute! I hope you get a chance to enjoy it

If you have more questions feel free to PM me.
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

Muhaha:

The house has decks on 2 different levels. The top deck is 40 or 50 ft above the water.

Access to the water is a breeze. They have steps from the villa that lead nearly all the way down to beach. Note the beach is a rock beach. The water directly in front of the house is a lagoon and is only a couple of feet deep, about 50 ft out the lagoon ends and your in the ocean. The lagoon is very clear and we've seen rays, sharks and other fish just from sitting on the porch and looking out.

Just off to the right of the house you can snorkel and I just got back. Very nice. Not deep but a lot of brain coral, squid, nurse sharks and lots of other fish.

I swam in the pool today but it is cold. It's not a large pool. Maybe 20 ft long but certainly enough to cool off and enjoy yourself. It's been a bit cool this week so maybe on other weeks it would be okay, but it is definitely on the cool side.

Is it private. Oh Yeah! this place is absolutely great. When your on the porches you have complete privacy. There's a house up the drive on the other side of the house but the owners of that house own 2 lots so you don't notice them at all. There is a house off to the right but it is well up a hillside and you really don't know they are there. this is probably the most private house we've had on the Island and like we said before this is out 12th trip down and we've been lucky enough to have some pretty private houses in the past.

The breezes are just unbelievable. The waves are so loud at times you almost can't hear each other talk.

The owner is an absolutely great guy. I could not recommend this house higher. They just started renting the house out in October, new construction, and the owner said everyone that has come down is booking it again for future trips. I suspect we'll do the same.

Warning: the house is perfect for 1 couple or a couple with kids. I say this because the 2 bedrooms in the main house are right next to one another and when we travel with others it's always nice to have the bedrooms on opposite ends of the house so each couple has some privacy. HOWEVER. This is easily fixed. If we come back with friends we will pay a slight up charge and rent the main house and the guest house, which is just on the other side of the swimming pool. This would give both couples privacy. The guest house is great. It has 2 levels and the bedroom in the guest house may be better than the one in the main house which is nice. The guest house has decks on both levels so each couple would have tons of privacy. It's just a great setup. The rental rates for this house are an absolute bargain.

The pictures on the web site do not do this place justice.

We have to check out Saturday and we're going to Caneel for a couple of days. Couldn't get the house next week because it was already booked. I'm sure we'll enjoy Caneel but given the choices I would never leave this place.

The house is for sale for what I think is a very reasonable 2,400,000. However reasonable doesn't mean we can afford it. But it's mine this week and we're loving every minute! I hope you get a chance to enjoy it

If you have more questions feel free to PM me.
CindyM

Post by CindyM »

Sounds like my kind of place. Thanks so much for the review.
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

StJohnbum wrote: Warning: the house is perfect for 1 couple or a couple with kids.
Unfortunately, I contacted the property manager and asked about the kid policy, and told him we have 4 - ages 17, 13, 11, and 3. He said the youngest could not stay there due to potential lawsuits. No flexibility by the owner he claimed.

This is unfortunate as every other villa we have stayed at or inquired about on STJ will make exceptions if you sign a waiver. No biggie, it's their choice on how to do business I suppose. Just a bummer because it is ideally what we have been looking for.

Thanks for the great description. Perhaps the wife and I will consider this one on our next "alone" trip. Have fun!