If we like St. John would we like Providenciales?

Travel discussion for St. John
islandmaari

If we like St. John would we like Providenciales?

Post by islandmaari »

My husband and I are thinking of trying a new island. (although we are stil torn about it). We are looking at Providenciales in Turks. Would anyone recommend it? We are not big resort people, but love beautiful beaches and to dive and snorkel. We like the laid-back vibe of St. John, but we'd like to try a new place every three years or so.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Should we just stick to St. John?

Thanks
Maari
"paradise is always where love dwells"
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

Maari,

St. John and Providenciales have very different vibes. In fact, our impression of Provo -- we stayed at Grace Bay -- is that Provo has NO vibe. The whole place just seemed so manicured, we wondered at times if we were in Florida. We like more funkiness than we got on Provo.

The beach itself (again, Grace Bay) is beautiful; the sand is as powdery as I've ever seen and felt. We did a snorkel trip -- diving for conch, which turned out to be our lunch! -- but I didn't feel the snorkeling was that great. (Our captain indicated we hadn't picked the best day.) Not sure where you'd snorkel if you didn't do a day sail.

We also felt it was a pricey island, especially the bars and restaurants.

I'll admit that we didn't get out and explore much beyond Grace Bay. There could be a whole other world out there, but I doubt it.

TM
P-600

Post by P-600 »

I've been to Provo three times. We take our kids to Beaches and loved all of our trips. I think that the snorkeling is actually alot better than STJ. Grace Bay beach is beautiful . The island is flat like Aruba so you don't get the amazing views around every turn. As for the vibe I really can't say because we pretty much stayed in the resort but the people are nice and pleasant. Saint John is our favorite place though.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We have been to Provo twice, once on vacation and once for work (my husband did a job there).

I will search out my trip report.

Quick thoughts -

There some fantastic snorkelling and diving. Where we stayed on Grace Bay, there was a reef (supplemented with man-made reef-growning concrete things) right off our beach. It where an incredible variety of sea life, I particularly remember the morays poking their heads out to look around.

The restaurants are very, very good. It can get very pricey, very quickly to eat out on Provo but at least the food is good.

Provo lacks a town like Cruz Bay. If you like going into town to shop, walk around, bar hop you should know that doesn't really exist on Provo.

Before the economy tanked, Provo boomed. Development exploded. That brought a lot of money and outsiders to the island. We hear from people on the island that many projects simply shut down.

You will see many large condo projects along the beach. Grace Bay is miles and miles long. Some spots are dotted with single family houses and some spots look like Florida.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Provo is different from St. John, but a beautiful place. Pluses to Provo: beachfront accomodations, gorgeous, long beach to walk along, excellent snorkeling and diving, clear water. Negatives: much less of a Caribbean vibe---more resorty, no hills, the interior of the island is not great.

I would agree that its expensive, but I think lodging may actually be slightly less than STJ, while restaurants are slightly more. You might look at Coral Gardens, which is a smaller resort along Grace Bay, directly in front of the best snorkeling reef. They also have a fun casual restaurant there called "Somewhere."

Thanks, Pagirl, for posting my trip report from a few years back.
---Jim
jcm

Post by jcm »

We went to Turks & Caicos for the first time this past March. Iowa Guy and PA Girl
gave great comments.
We had delicious meals and many fantastic restaurants to choose from.
We loved eating outside next to the beach with gorgeous sunsets.
Coco Bistro and Da Conch shack are not to be missed.
The beaches are spectacular. We just missed the peace and quiet of renting
a villa like we have done on St. John. Our hotel was lovely, but there were many
"teary toddlers" at our resort, and we have passed that time in our lives.
Grace Bay beach is gorgeous but there are many hotels now. If you are a scuba
diver it is a fabulous place to go. We also did a sunset sail which we loved,
lots of dolphins followed our boat!
We are heading back to St. John next April-it is still our favorite!!
Everyone's recent trip reports made us want to return-so we are booked!!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

I agree with just about everything that has been said here. I think the snorkeling and diving was really good, but that might be the only reason for going back. Other than that I felt like we were in Florida.

We went to Grand Turk as well, and that was different. It was more like travelling back 30 years in time. Very charming and laid back, but I think the cruise ships has started to come there now, so it might not be the same. We were there 2006.

I did my very first scuba dives on Provo and Grand Turk and that really made me interested in diving, so if you dive, it might be a good place for you. Increadible walls and lots of sealife.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Maggy wrote: We went to Grand Turk as well, and that was different. It was more like travelling back 30 years in time. Very charming and laid back, but I think the cruise ships has started to come there now, so it might not be the same. We were there 2006.
Our first trip to T & C was in 2003 and I really regret not visiting Grand Turk. A regional airline offered flights down and back for a day trip.

I believe Grand Turk was devastated by a hurricane within the past few years. They lost many of the buildings in town.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

What I prefer about St John:

- town of Cruz Bay
- abundance of villas with great views - "picturesqueness" of the many bays and beaches
- hiking trails

What I prefer about Provo:

- Amazing, long, white powder soft sand beach and crystal clear water
- Beachfront accomodations
- very easy to get around

Be warned that airfare to Provo is pricey!
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Sent you a PM with your info. I agree with what most have said about Provo. Grace Bay is an awesome beach, crystal clear water and long WHITE sandy beach. Expensive to eat. I just missed all the greenery in the background. Provo is a flat "scrub" island so while looking out into the water is awesome, looking back at the beach from the water is just a hotel/condo vista (Cancun like) but I don't think you would notice it unless you have been to St. John first, it just seemed as though something was missing for us, it was a very relaxing vacation though.
Good luck St. John is my favorite but Provo is 2nd
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Funny how many peeps said feels like Florida, thats what I told my wife when we visited. Awesome long beach, good snorkeling but you will have to take a boat to get there unlike St John. There are a couple shore snorkels but the good stuff ya gotta take a boat. Go enjoy you will have fun but to us it doesn't hold a candle to St John IMHO.