What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
loria

Post by loria »

stjohnjulie wrote:
liamsaunt wrote:I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy, read at the urging of my 12-year old nephew. He thought they were "awesome." They are actually not bad, but I have a lot of ideas now for better written books in a similar vein to send to his Kindle.
I really enjoyed the Hunger Games... so what other books are you sending to your nephew's Kindle that are like it? I have been reading a lot of books that my 10 year old can read too and would love some new ideas!
has your guy read teh percy jackson books? or the magician series?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

loria wrote: has your guy read teh percy jackson books? or the magician series?
Yes to Percy Jackson. I know he really liked those. My nine-year old niece also read and enjoyed that series (I think it is still ongoing?). He is also reading the Rangers Apprentice series right now, and the Rick Riordan books. What is the magician series?

Julie, I sent a couple of classic but new to him books to his Kindle that I think he will like: The L'Engle Wrinkle in Time series (there are five), I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier and Lord of the Flies. I was going to send him some Lovecraft stories also but I am going to wait and see how he likes these books first--Lovecraft might be too scary still. I think L'Engle would be fine for your 10 year old but I would not recommend the other books for him.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

I just read "I'd Know You Anywhere" by Laura Lippman. She's is out of Baltimore so it is interesting reading for a somewhat local. (Her husband is the guy who created the Wire series for television).

The book was good...but I didn't like the ending.
loria

Post by loria »

liamsaunt wrote:
Yes to Percy Jackson. I know he really liked those. My nine-year old niece also read and enjoyed that series (I think it is still ongoing?). He is also reading the Rangers Apprentice series right now, and the Rick Riordan books. What is the magician series?

Julie, I sent a couple of classic but new to him books to his Kindle that I think he will like: The L'Engle Wrinkle in Time series (there are five), I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier and Lord of the Flies. I was going to send him some Lovecraft stories also but I am going to wait and see how he likes these books first--Lovecraft might be too scary still. I think L'Engle would be fine for your 10 year old but I would not recommend the other books for him.
riordan is the percy jackson stuff--but maybe you are talking about the Kane chronicles?--the magician stuff is by michael scott--a series about twins who discover that they have special powers and the magic /magical creatures (some very bad) that are all around us....the stories are good--the writing is not the best--but the stories are good--
other books your nephew (and you son, Julie) might like: hatchet (great adventure story ) holes (if you read Hiassen then you probably know about this)
the westing game; and bud, not buddy, (a real classic)
my son also loved island of the blue dolphins (this was a class assigned book, but he really liked it) Mike Lupica has written some great sports oriented novels for boys-- another favorite (though this might be a tad old for some? ) is orson scott card's 'enders game'
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

[quote="loria ]

riordan is the percy jackson stuff--but maybe you are talking about the Kane chronicles[/quote]

Aah, you are right. I was confused. I logged into his Kindle to see which one he was reading and it turns out he has both--Kane Chronicles and the Percy Jackson stuff. It's the Percy Jackson books that my niece read, not the Kane Chronicles. He does love Mike Lupica, I think he has downloaded everything he has ever written! He doesn't have the other series you mentioned though, so thanks for that recommendation, I'll check it out. I think I am going to send him the Chet and Bernie series that we've talked about here too.
LauraD

Post by LauraD »

I finished Promise Not to Tell the other night. I had goosebumps the last third of the book(the entire book was good reading)Actually had to put the book down and look around the room and if my dog wasn't next to me would have brought him in the room.
I will start Shadow in the Wind tomorrow. Laura
You must be the change you want to see in the world
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

liamsaunt wrote:

Thanks guys! Yes, he's read the Percy Jackson already. I will check out Rick Riordan and Magician series.

Why wouldn't you recommend the other books for him? Just have to ask. He isn't ready (in a lot of ways!) for anything with too much romantic content. But he really enjoys some of the scarier books. I've been reading them first then letting him read them so we can talk about them. Another book he really liked was Unwind. It's kind of hard to get books for him because he's a very advanced reader, but he's still a kid. He also like "The Uglies" series.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

[quote="stjohnjulie]Why wouldn't you recommend the other books for him? Just have to ask. He isn't ready (in a lot of ways!) for anything with too much romantic content. But he really enjoys some of the scarier books. I've been reading them first then letting him read them so we can talk about them. Another book he really liked was Unwind. It's kind of hard to get books for him because he's a very advanced reader, but he's still a kid. He also like "The Uglies" series.[/quote]

I guess I just thought that the theme of those two books might be too dark for a typical 10 year old. Neither have romance, but they are dark, scary, kids-in-peril kind of stories. If he can handle that type of story then he might like them. I was younger than your son when I read Lord of the Flies and I was fine with it. I did better with darker but more realistic books than supernatural ones. I remember reading Dracula at the library in second grade and completely losing it! Like screaming at the top of my lungs losing it. The librarian always came around to see what I was reading after that incident. :lol:
stjohnjulie

Post by stjohnjulie »

:D I have to admit, sometimes I think it would be a lot easier if they had ratings for books. Like they do for movies and video games.... but then again, not sure how that would all work. I know if The Hunger Games was a movie, my guy would be too young to watch it. I remember reading Lord of the Flies and being kind of blown away by it when I was in HIGH SCHOOL. I think my son would be good with it though. Maybe I can read it to him, it's been awhile since I read it. Thanks for the input! I appreciate it :)
AH

Post by AH »

I have recently read "The Kite Runner" & "A Thousand Splendid Suns". I really wish I had read these sooner. Although parts of both books are disturbing-mostly because they are based on facts-I could not put them down.
AH
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

AH wrote:I have recently read "The Kite Runner" & "A Thousand Splendid Suns". I really wish I had read these sooner. Although parts of both books are disturbing-mostly because they are based on facts-I could not put them down.
AH
The Kite Runner is one of about five books I wish I had never read. I thought it was a good but the story line about the servant's son and later his son deeply disturbed me.

I just finished Backstage with Julia. It was a fun read.

I just order The Blue Orchard, which is set in my area of Pennsylania.
AH

Post by AH »

Just read "Room" by Emma Donoghue. I found this book to be scary,sad,funny,and really different from anything I've read before.
AH
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

AH wrote:I have recently read "The Kite Runner" & "A Thousand Splendid Suns". I really wish I had read these sooner. Although parts of both books are disturbing-mostly because they are based on facts-I could not put them down.
AH
Both of those are so good, and so intense. I don't think I would ever read them again but I am glad I read them once.

PAGirl, if you feel that way about the Kite Runner definitely do not read a Thousand Splendid Suns. I found that book so much more intense and disturbing than Kite Runner (which of course was a doozy of a book itself).

John and I watched Game of Thrones on HBO and now I am reading that series of five books. He begged me not to read past the first book but there is no way I am waiting a year to find out what happens next!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am ready to get into Game of Thrones soon.

Thanks for the Thousand Splendid Suns warning.

Pre-kid, NOTHING bothered me. Post-kid, I are very sensitive to any human abuse/suffering and it is related to children, even it if is fiction, I absolutely can't deal with it.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Just finished "Once Upon A River" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Any one else read it?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.