4 day getaway, small walkable city suggestions?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

You're getting so many good ideas, Toni! I hope you'll post a trip report.
My choices would be D.C., Boston or Toronto. I'm sure you've been to Toronto a million times, like me, but it never bores me.
Have fun!
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

MelMD, like any city, or even small island there are dangers. I live in MD and go to Bmore all the time. My daughter lives in Canton. We had 200 people attend her wedding in the Harbour East area. Most were from out of town and came for several days. They loved it. Smart travel in any of the mentioned cities, including Annapolis, is always wise.
toni

Post by toni »

Thanks for all the help everyone, I knew you'd come up with some great ideas! :D

I think we're going to pick Boston for this trip-last time we'd been was for a business convention for me 20+ years ago in the dead of winter-why they chose Boston in winter I don't know-and we stayed at the Copley Plaza (maybe?) and had to walk outside to get to the convention hall. Ugh!

So I'm hoping that this will be a much better experience. I'm looking maybe at staying somewhere near Rowe's Wharf-like the idea of the waterfront and the greenspaces near it.

If you have any suggestions about Boston or the Rowe's wharf area (or any other areas!) feel free.

I'm definitely going to keep track of the other places listed for future travel-I always have 2-3 trips scheduled at a time :lol:
Terry

Post by Terry »

Sounds like you already made your mind up.

I would suggest San Antonio and the riverwalk area.
toni

Re: 4 day getaway, small walkable city suggestions?

Post by toni »

toni wrote: Some examples of places we like would be San Antonio, savannah, and I just got back from a great girls visit to Charleston.
Hey Terry-
Thanks for the suggestion-you must have missed my post that started this thread (see above)-I do like the Riverwalk, went for a business meeting and then liked it so much took the girlfriends and then later my husband too! It was great for restaurants and the riverwalk-we went last fall stayed at the Omni La Mansionand we walked up to the one end by the old brewery and down to the flour mill where we saw they were in the process of expanding it even further (love the pancakes and the mixes from the flour mill!) I recommend SA to anyone who's interested :)
Greenskeeper

Post by Greenskeeper »

toni wrote:
So I'm hoping that this will be a much better experience. I'm looking maybe at staying somewhere near Rowe's Wharf-like the idea of the waterfront and the greenspaces near it.

If you have any suggestions about Boston or the Rowe's wharf area (or any other areas!) feel free.

I'm definitely going to keep track of the other places listed for future travel-I always have 2-3 trips scheduled at a time :lol:
I really like the Marriott Long Wharf concierge level rooms. You get great views of the waterfront and the concierge lounge is a great spot to meet up with the group before heading out for the day or evening. It's a terrific location. I've never stayed at the Boston Harbor Hotel but it is absolutely gorgeous. Enjoy your trip!
stjdeb

Post by stjdeb »

New Orleans is good walking and great fun! I also love North Carolina - the mountains around the Asheville area and along the coast in the Outer Banks area. I absolutely loved Asheville, but we had a car and I don't remember enough details about all of the small towns in the area in regards to walking, maybe someone else could chime in. I, also loved Boston and was only there for one day. But, in one day we covered alot of ground - would love to go back one day. I am looking forward to doing Savannah one of these days - been on the list for too long!
Deb