Has anybody taken the sea plane?

Travel discussion for St. John
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

OK- I think I am convinced- may have a shot (or 3) of rum before boarding, just to make sure it's really fun ;-)

We are flying into STX from Dallas, staying on STX for 4 days, then heading to STJ for a week. We did it last year (but went to Nevis first)- we have found it's a really great way to "check out" other islands, but not miss out on our beloved STJ. We plan to keep doing it, visiting a new island for a few days each year before going to STJ.

Thanks for the info and advice everyone!
GoldenDaze

Post by GoldenDaze »

One more positive vote for the seaplane. Hubby & I took a day trip to STX when were were searching for land to purchase. It was pouring rain the morning we were to take off and my sis was freaking out telling us not to go. The flight was delayed for a while, then the sun came out and it was an awesome ride. Needless to say we saw some nice places on STX but our beloved rock called us back.

You will have a great time! The rum shot isn't a bad idea ;)
coconutmom

Post by coconutmom »

Took Chalks seaplane from Ft. Laurderdale to Bahamas. I loved it, my husband hated it because it was so noisy and it really bothered his ears.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Can I get a woo-hoo for island hopping adventures!
I never thought to fly into STX and then take a sea plane to STT but it might be an option in 2012 since American Airlines is getting stingy with their advantage miles program! I'm trying to book August 2012 and there is nothing available! Gotta look into San Juan too! Adios mio~ :shock:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Go for it Colleen! I'll let you know how it works out :shock: :wink: :wink:
Captain John

Post by Captain John »

Hi Laura, It's a fun adventure. We use it to go to San Juan.
Captain John

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live"
StJohnRon

Post by StJohnRon »

I used to do this all the time from San Juan back in the late 70s and early 80s. It was a highlight of our trip. I think the airline was Chaulk Airlines.
Back then we would stock up on booze in San Juan, hop on the sea plane and land in front of Solomon, then go around to Cruz Bay and up the sea plane ramp near where the new National Park building is now. Then we would walk over to World Headquarters (now Morgans Mango) for a drink.
I do remember one time on landing we hit a wake from a boat and the plane jumped up so high that all our liquor bottles in the overhead smashed. The captain was not happy as he had to clean it up. The good old days on St. John.

- Ron
hugo

Post by hugo »

Seaborne is fun and safe. I haven't heard of any problems in the 15 years or so they've operated here, and I've made the STT/STX trip innumerable times.
After Antilles Airboats perished in Hurricane Hugo (it was a merciful death, the planes had started to fall out of the sky all the time) another company operated flights to St John for a few years. After they 'went down' the National Park decided to suspend use of Park waters and the ramp on Park property due to a number of conflicts that had arisen. The calm waters between Cruz Bay and Caneel are the only useable area on the west end of the island, especially for takeoff. Coral Harbor would certainly work, and we heard rumors a few years ago, but nothing has come of it.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Thanks John, Ron, and Hugo- your opinions (as everyone else's) mean a lot! I am actually starting to get excited about it, and I love the history lessons and stories from ya'll. My husband (the former pilot, who is laughing at me for being such a chicken) thanks you, too ;-)
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

Exit Zero wrote:Antilles Air Boats was the company that flew to St John - I think only from STX - Charlie Blair started this company - he lived in STX and was married to Maureen O'Hara - died in 1978 in one of his planes that crashed. I also used to take "The Goose" to Tortola - it landed in Roadtown where they had a ramp. They serviced STT - STX - STJ - Tortola and Fajardo as I remember and in STT used the ramp at Tortola Wharf where the present company , Seaborne operates out of. They stopped service after Hugo in 1989 I believe.
This is an interesting page which shows several Antilles Air Boats timetables from the past:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/ad1.htm

The Goose in Charlotte Amalie:

<a href="http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0948542"> Click Here</a> to view the photo<p>
rpplano

Post by rpplano »

Laura, check with the airline and see if there is any way that Jim can fly jumpseat and surprise him with it. With his history and creds., there might be a way.
It'd blow his mind!
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Great idea Randy! Will look into it!