Safe to check snorkel gear?

Travel discussion for St. John
snorkelqueen

Safe to check snorkel gear?

Post by snorkelqueen »

I have always carried on our snorkel gear as we all have pretty high end masks and fins. My son and I have now purchased new HUGE fins and I am sure they won't let us bring them as carry on. Is it safe to check this stuff? I'm thinking maybe I should ship them....I've never shipped anything ahead from California so I'd love some help here! Thanks in advance forum friends!
mit43

Post by mit43 »

We have checked ours before with no problems. I would recommend using a protective case either way.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I have just stuck them in my suitcase!
burgec

Post by burgec »

We've just checked a snorkel bag so it was obvious what it was and never had a problem. That said our stuff is pretty average quality.
toes in the sand

Re: Safe to check snorkel gear?

Post by toes in the sand »

snorkelqueen wrote:Is it safe to check this stuff?
Absolutely safe. If your worried about baggage handlers and the mask glass, pack it between soft clothes or towels.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I pack fins in our checked suitcase. It does take a large suitcase, we only have one that fits the fins.

Regarding masks, I pack them in carry-on luggage because they are such important items. If we get to STJ and our checked luggage doesn't make it, it's not a big deal if we don't have our fins but it's a pretty big deal to not have our masks.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We pack our fins in checked bag (hard shell) and take our masks in carry-on, wrapped in clothes. My husband's mask is prescription, so its important that it makes the trip.
AH

Post by AH »

We always check all of our snorkel stuff. We use protective cases for our masks and put them in a snorkel bag along with all snorkel/beach related items. We have never had a problem.
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

Thank you guys - great info!!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

check ours each time...we have a backpack roller (scuba.com) that we check...no problems
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
nuendelcapecod

Snorkel gear

Post by nuendelcapecod »

We put ours in our checked bag and did have some damage to a mask. The following year we padded things better and made out fine.
conchman

Post by conchman »

We never check bags. Everything we need for ten days we carry on, including snorkel gear. If you have to check make absolutly sure the mask is in a mask case, you can get them from just about and dive/snorkel shop. Fins and snorkel will give, but not the mask.

Enjoy...
http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

"If I had trouble the warranty said, Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"