Travelling with a wedding dress

Travel discussion for St. John
STJdreams

Post by STJdreams »

wink1134 wrote:Suzanne, we loved getting married at Hawksnest. It was a morning wedding and we had the beach to ourselves. We picked the spot next to the rocks on the right side of the beach (if you're looking at the water). I loved the contrast between the white sandy beaches and the dark rocks. Here's a link to our photos from the trip, if you want to see some of our wedding pics. http://flic.kr/s/aHsiNtGZtr

p.s. Anne married us too!

Jennifer
wink1134 thanks for sharing your beautiful wedding photos! Our son is just starting to plan a STJ June wedding in 2013 and this will give them some ideas!

Suzie - I never really thought about wedding dress details ....all of this info is a big help...thanks everyone!
Knolmom

Wedding Dress

Post by Knolmom »

Carried mine on the plane in a clear plastic garment bag. Flew on a Wed AM so there was a seat for the dress right across the aisle for us. I had it in a clear plastic garment bag, it was in May and my arm was pretty sticky from carrying it on my lap in the cab across the island.
When we got to the old ferry, some of you may remember the vendor stalls and empty ticket booths there. We had some time to wait, so I hung it on a nail outside one of the booths. You can guess what happened next.... with all the excitement and all of the people and luggage we had I got on the ferry and forgot the dress. As we pulled away one of the local Rasta came running to the ferry waving his arms and someone else was carrying the dress--the ferry turned back around and thank God the deckhand didnt drop it in the water when he retrieved it from the local. I was so stunned I just sat there forzen. The whole boat applauded... Something I will never forget!!!!
jess116000

Post by jess116000 »

My hubby and I got married in Hawaii this past July 2011. I carried my dress in a garment bag and the airline stewardess hung it up for me on each plane. they do have a small closet for this kind of thing. Its a good thing I carried it on the plane, bc our bags were lost! We got them back the day of our wedding! Shew!! Good luck, STJ will be a beautiful place to say I DO :)

Jessica
Bonny in CA

Post by Bonny in CA »

Hi Suzie. Congrats on the upcoming wedding, it will be beautiful!

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary on St. John last November. We had a photo shoot at sundown on Trunk Bay on the day of our anniversary. We used Sage from Crown Photography, and we got over 50 great pictures in less than an hour. I know she spends more time on weddings.

Here's a link to our photos, also, if you find the "all my photos" button on the page, you can look at all of her work, compare beaches & such!

http://www.usviphotographer.com/p902372056
Mary L

Travelling with your wedding dress.....

Post by Mary L »

Hi Suzie,

My name is Megan and I am writing under my mom's name.....I got married on August 17, 2011 in St. John and when I brought my dress on the plane I asked the flight attendant if I could store my dress in the front of the plane and they had no problems. On the first leg on my trip I was able to put my dress in the coat area which is right on the right hand side of the plane as you enter the plane and on the second leg I had to put it in first class but no one touched it and it was in perfect condition when I finally arrived to my villa.

I noticed that you were thinking about getting married on Hawksnest or Cinnamon Bay and I got married on Cinnamon Bay at sunset and it was perfect. We used Anne Marie Porter as our JP and she was great. Not only did she help me with any questions that I had...I did not get a wedding planner, I just did it all myself so any questions that I could not find an answer to I could ask her and she was very helpful. She put on an amazing cermony and everyone at the wedding thought she did such a great job and I could not have agreed more. You will love her!

The photographer that we used was Bob Schlesinger from Tropical Focus. You should check out his website http://www.tropicalfocus.com/. He was amazing and we had come up with an agreement that we were going to go and take pictures before the cermony at Annaberg Sugar Mill. I know that some people do not like to see their "husbands" before they walk down the isle...or in this case the sand :)....but I am so happy that we decided to take pictures before. If you get married at sunset you do not have a lot of time after the cermony to take pictures and I wanted to get the most out of my photographer. After the cermony we were able to take all the family shots and other pictures that we wanted and also on the way to our reception the photographer stopped at the over hang at Trunk Bay and Maho and we took pictures. They came out amazing and I can't say it enough how happy we are that we decided to use Bob as our photographer.

I am not sure what your plan was for your reception and I am only telling you what I did but we had our reception at The Waterfront Bistro. It is right in Cruz Bay and it was on the water. I loved it....working with the owner (Joe Decourcy) was perfect. This restaurant was amazing...the food was great and all my guests and myself had a wonderful time.

I wish you the best of luck planning your wedding...before you know it your special day will be here :)