Which of these villas would you choose? Why?

Travel discussion for St. John
stjchica

Which of these villas would you choose? Why?

Post by stjchica »

Just need some input/help deciding. Appreciate your thoughts on these 2 villas...They are similarly priced, etc. Thanks for your time..

This villa looks nice, but is away from the North Shore beaches. Views look amazing....
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p130505

This villa looks decent. Closer to North Shore beaches, but views don't seem to be as open?
http://www.islandhideaways.com/stjohn/v ... at-turtle/
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
dreamshark

Re: Which of these villas would you choose? Why?

Post by dreamshark »

Wow, both of those villas look AMAZING. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in either one. How big is your group? Will you be using all the bedrooms?

If you're planning to spend a lot of time at the villa (and why not when it's such a palace) you should probably just pick the one with the view, amenities and floor plan you like best. Personally, I prefer the view (and the cooler air) up on the mountain, but many people love the sweeping sunset views on the southwest side.

Convenience to north shore beaches is kind of a wash between the two. From the south side, you're closer to one set of beaches (Trunk, Hawksnest, Cinnamon, etc.) but you have to drive through downtown Cruz Bay to get to them. I stayed in Chocolate Hole one time and found it kind of a nightmare driving through those tiny congested streets. But I posted that comment on another thread, and it seems that nobody else agreed with me. So maybe it just depends on how claustrophobic you are. On Bordeaux Mountain you are closer to the southeastern beaches, and also to the eastern set of north side beaches (Maho, Francis, Leinster). The tradeoff is, more driving on twisty little mountain roads. I think that's fun, but YMMV.

Really, the biggest tradeoff is convenience to Cruz Bay. If you think you'd enjoy quick trips to town for shopping, music and restaurants, Fish Bay is for you. If you'd rather have peace and quiet and do your shopping in little country stores, you'll probably prefer being closer to Coral Bay.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Thanks for your time and input....Anyone else?? Anything else I need to consider or any additional thoughts?
~Pam~
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

My family doesn't like the southshore location. We don't like the drive through town to go to the beaches. We much prefer the mid-island location so Great Turtle would be our pick of the two.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Thanks Diana...leaning towards Great Turtle although I love the view at South Shore...
The price is a little better and probably more convenient to NS beaches, as you stated..
~Pam~
CBama

Post by CBama »

I don't think the view from Great Turtle Villa is that awesome either...but I also prefer that location.

have you searched on the forum for South Shore? I looked at both of these villas when we were looking at four bedrooms...several have posted that the drive from South Shore and Sol Inclination is too far to the beaches..then others it didn't bother...just personal preference...

have you looked at this one? if you don't mind being on the Coral Bay side..

http://www.estatefortsberg.com/

Dreamshark: I completely agreed with your other post...since I have never stayed on the other side of Cruz Bay I didn't comment, but we also thought Cruz Bay was congested...probably had something to do with us not knowing our way around the first two trips to town. We were on island the week prior to July 4th week, and town was crowded every visit and hot. I just preferred the "country" mountainous driving to the town traffic...
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

I have to say I agree with CBama. Estate Fortsburg is a great villa. Also look at Bay Rum Breeze and Heaven's Gate http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/property/heavens-gate/ .
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Love the view at Fortsberg....With kids going, I hate the exterior staircase. Great Turtle is exterior as well, but it just seems more open and easier to watch the kids etc..
Why so many villas with exterior staircases to the lower bedrooms, etc?
Bay Rum Breeze is 3 BR..(we need 4)...
and Heaven's Gate is pricer than I want. Would like to stay less than $4000 if possible, unless it's a great villa then would go a little more..
~Pam~
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I have posted this before, but for me personally I don't like the location in Skytop of South Shore Villa/Sol Inclination. The roads are a bit too hairy for me to drive and it's a far drive to Cruz Bay and even further to our favorite beach Maho. Granted, I'm scared of heights so that may be what keeps me from liking the location. I have also stayed in the Coral Bay area, though not quite in the same location as Great Turtle. I like that location for the ease of getting to Maho and Francis and Waterlemon. We aren't restaurant people, so that doesn't affect our decision. One more thing to factor into your decision is the pool. Pools on Bordeaux are notoriously cold, not sure if the kids would care.
With kids, I prefer all bedrooms under one roof and interior stairs. Great Turtle has exterior stairs and is separated into two buildings. Maybe something like Soul Island would work. 4 interior bedrooms (not sure if stairs are interior or exterior), kid friendly, nice view, kind of mid island and you could bypass Cruz Bay if you wanted to get to North Shore Beaches. We've stayed at Le Lapin II and loved it (4 interior bedrooms, interior stairs, great pool).
Tickerless :(
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Whatever you pick, don't rent from an off-island agency like that second one.

You want to rent from a company who is on island, not some company who rents out villas on 100 different islands.

If you do pick that second villa, google it and try to find if you can rent it from a different company.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Pia

Post by Pia »

stjchica - with building costs in the $600 per square foot range (obviously some less if you do all the work yourself, build with wood etc and some more depending on finishes and detail/finish work) interior stairs costs precious square footage and therefore $$$

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

I totally agree with Teresa Rae! If you go with the second villa, I would book through the owner. http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p152214
I would choose Great Turtle over South Shore. Great views and much easier to get to Francis/Maho/Waterlemon/Coral Bay/Skinny Legs/Shipwreck Landing/East End/Salt Pond/Lameshure's and Tourist Trap! Good luck in whatever you decide! :D :D :D
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Great Turtle is a fabulous villa and the views are amazing! We stayed there 2 years ago and in 12 trips it has been my favorite so far. It is in Upper Carolina so you really get a great view of the valley and Coral Bay and it is SO convenient to north shore beaches and Coral Bay and East End. AND, here's a big plus, it is the only pool we have been able to actually use as it gets sun all day long!!! We rented thru VIVA I think, but I don't see it on their site. Better pics here or I can email you some!! http://www.caribbeandays.com/st_john/10 ... tle_villa/
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Thanks everyone...Seems it's sort of hard to find a 4BR with interior access to all rooms, great view, for $4500 or less..I appreciate all the input and suggestions..Continuing to check them all out..
@Lazylane..What are your thoughts on the rooms in separate buildings. Our kids are teens, so it isn't like they are litte ones..Also how did you feel security-wise in general?? Thanks for info~
~Pam~
Chet

Post by Chet »

Sol Inclination is just above South Shore Villa, and is the last house on the road.
http://www.vrbo.com/289115
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]