Traveling Solo

Travel discussion for St. John
Mary L

Traveling Solo

Post by Mary L »

I really want to go to STJ and have no one to go with, how safe is it to go alone. I want to stay in Cruz Bay I was thinking that Grande Bay Condos would be a safe choice. Any thoughts from people who have gone on solo trips. I loved to here from people who have and where did you stay, I will not be getting a car. Thank you
melmd

Re: Traveling Solo

Post by melmd »

Mary

I think a solo trip would be fun and safe. I plan on doing one myself one day. I would stay at Grande Yachts that way you are very close to everything if you end up being out a little late. I also saw they have security on premises.

I went with just my sister-in-law last Nov. We stayed at Lavender Hill and never felt unsafe. We met tons of people and had a great time. I know it's alittle different than going by yourself, but we were 2 women traveling without big strong men...LOL

Using common sense and normal safety practises should be all you need to have a great safe time.

PS I'm free if you need a travel buddy :D
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

I think it would be fun, and as long as you use common sense you should be fine. We stayed at Gallow' Point last trip and were able to walk to many nice beaches. (even though I was with cane from broken knee) I think Grand Bay would be equally safe to stay at.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Haven't done it, but would do it in a heartbeat...and I would stay at Grande Bay as well...Go and enjoy. Avoid things like walking home alone at dark, etc...and you will be fine..Also, don't advertise that you are alone...Saw it suggested that if someone gets nosey just say your husband/boyfriend is in the condo with a migraine, etc...
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

I haven't been on a solo STJ trip, but I think Grande Bay would be perfect for you. It has a lot of things going for it aside from the well-appointed, clean, spacious rooms. There is no need to rent a car as you are within walking distance to everything in Cruz Bay. Taxis are a more economical route for one person heading to the North Shore beaches. Salomon Beach is a 25 minute walk via the Lind Point Trail (safe too!). I wouldn't hesitate booking this trip. You'll be fine provided you take normal precautions that are necessary with travel to any location.
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
sabalpom

Post by sabalpom »

I have been to STJ on 2 solo trips & just booked my third for next year! Stayed at Grande Bay & booked again for my next trip. I feel very safe & always aware of my surroundings anyway. Rented a jeep & drove all over the place, just not at night!! Grande Bay is so convenient & close to town & ferry. Counting the months until I return!! :D
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I did a quick solo trip a couple of years ago; also stayed at Grande Bay.

Here's a link to my TR -

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... ay#p187322
janet
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

I'm in the planning stages for my first solo trip and own a unit at Grande Bay so will obviously stay there. I've been before with just my son and never felt any safety issues. I'm looking forward to a little relaxation on my own and do not plan to rent a car. Hiking the Lind Point trail and taking a taxi a day or two will work fine for me.

Go for it!! :D
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
gimpiegirl

Post by gimpiegirl »

I went by myself 2 years ago and had a fantastic time. I stayed at Grande Bay, too. It was great being able to walk everywhere. I never felt unsafe. Just using common sense. You won't regret it!
loria

Post by loria »

Gymnastika and (i think) bubbly brenda both do solo trips and have had no big issues. maybe look at their TR's?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
brenda

Post by brenda »

I have been to St John 10 times, trip number 11 coming up in November. I would go solo in a heartbeat! Agree with others, if you stay at Grande Bay, you are walking distance to everything in Cruz Bay and could taxi to the North Shore beaches. As advised, don't be out too late walking around and you will be fine!
Going "home" again October 26th!
mkb

Post by mkb »

I've traveled to STJ solo twice and can't wait to be there again. I've stayed in Coral Bay both times and rented a jeep. I always felt safe. Of course, I was cautious, just like I'd be anywhere. I'm glad to answer any questions you have. Have a great time. There is nothing as relaxing as traveling solo and having no one to worry about, but yourself.
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

I have traveled to St John every summer for the last 11 years and gone solo several times. I actually rent villas in Chocolate Hole or stay at Caneel and rent cars from St. John car rentals. I feel totally safe and at home. Pia once gave me excellent advice to just be aware of your surroundings and don't wonder around Cruz Bay alone late in the evening. (I practice this advice in my home town of Huntington Beach California!) When faced with the choice of not going to SJ or traveling solo - I would encourage you to GO FOR IT!!
I'D LOVE TO HAVE A SOLO GIRLS GET TOGETHER AT THE BEACH BAR ONE DAY!!!
mkb

Post by mkb »

I thought of something else that I think is worth adding here. As I stated above, I felt very safe in STJ. However, both trips required me to stay in STT one night due to the time I was arriving/departing. I was advised by several local STT women residents to be very cautious. I was told to be cautious during the day and never be out by myself at night. I was told it was okay to walk to a restaurant for dinner, but to take a cab back after dark, regardless of how close it was. I did not personally have any issues in STT, but I took the advice very seriously.

I agree a solo girls Beach Bar night would be fun.
Mary L

Post by Mary L »

I just wanted to thank all of you for your wonderful advice. I will go and read the trip reports of solo travelers. Well, I just bought my plane ticket so there is NO backing out now. Thank you Tom for the great deal you gave me. I am so excited to go, my kids think I'm nuts to go alone. It's something I never thought I would never do. But, my kids and I will be back in July for my big Birthday. :D