7 Day Itinerary suggestions for 1st time visit

Travel discussion for St. John
waterguy

Re: 7 Day Itinerary suggestions for 1st time visit

Post by waterguy »

In my opinon there isn't a good weather forecast unless the is big storm the forecast doesn't change. Everyday there is a chance of rain it doesn't rain long and it doesn't rain everywhere if it is raining on one side of the island the other side probaly isn't. I like Rumb Lines and Lime inn for my 2 dinners out if I can tear my self away for the sunset off of the deck.
Tom
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

What a great thread this has been! It's kind of fun to see how different people can be in the way they enjoy themselves. And you can read between the lines that even though each of us really feels our own style is the best, we're trying hard to be tolerant of people who aren't doing it quite "right." :lol:

There have also been some terrific suggestions, something for everybody, no matter what their style. Some people like to read up in advance, others would rather wait and be surprised. Some people have to be reminded not to spend too much time on the first beach they find, others need to settle down and not try to do EVERYTHING. Some people enjoy the excitement of getting lost, while those of us who are directionally impaired enjoy the novelty of knowing where we are for a change (the advantage of an island with only 3 roads).

hoosierdaddy: I think you did the best job of describing my preferred style: "We like to plan days and then be flexible on when we implement each day. Also leave a couple of days open because you may find something new." I've really enjoyed reading the different ways that the Planners have found to do their flexible planning. If anyone else wants to chip in with their own favorite "days" I'm not tired of this topic yet!
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

"Where do you get your weather info while on island? Who has the most accurate forecasts?"
We get our weather with the morning coffee. Temperature, Humidity, Wind speed, Wind direction, Sunny, Cloudy even falling or rising barometer is all available from the patio or deck.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Have been going to STJ for so many years and have never had a specific plan. Just do what you feel like doing every day. Going to a beach is my number one priority.
Eating at Skinny's is a must and now it's the Tourist Trap too. Meeting up with new and old friends. These are all important things to me.
I get my weather forecast from Captain John Brandi's post each day on Facebook.
BreakawayBarb

Post by BreakawayBarb »

I agree with so many recommendations, but my number one is DINGHY DAY. There is no substitute.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Breakaway Barb-
Please tell me about your DINGHY day, who do you rent from? where do you go? Do you think 3 women could manage? Sounds like fun and something I haven't done there. :lol: Thanks!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Morgan's Mango has lobster night on Tuesday nights (year round) and Margarita night on Thursday nights....
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
lsbredmond

Post by lsbredmond »

OK - have to hear about Dinghy Day. Where do you go? Do you rent for a full or half day?

Morgan Mango Lobster night: What is the price? Is it a set dinner? All you can eat? Do you need reservations?

To all you snorkelers: What are the best (your favorite) entry points or routes for your favorite snorkel spots? I've read through many trip reports where people give some detail about where they get in and what part of the beach or bay they snorkel around. My notes are getting all jumbled though.
Thanks
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Morgan's lobster night is just a night where they offer lobster in addition to the regular menu/specials. Not all you can eat (sadly!) It is priced by the pound and comes with sides. When we were there in February, it was $35 per pound. My son and I split a two pound lobster and it was $70 for the meal.

Just a heads up - Caribbean lobster is prepared differently than the cold water lobsters from the North East. Caribbean lobster is split and cooked over a grill.

When we were there in February, everyone at the table ordered lobster. I guess two of them never had Caribbean lobster before (these were not first time visitors) and it was NOT what they expected. The one seriously disliked the grilled flavor. They were expecting lobster as they know it from home. So the rest of us ate it!
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Some of our favorite snorkel spots:
Hawksnest - Very easy entry to the right as you face the water. Beautiful Elkhorn coral garden.
Caneel - First time I would do Honeymoon & Salomon but our fav is the main beach snorkeling around the point to Scott Beach
Gibney - We like but it is small and getting more crowded as it has become the "in spot". All 4/5 times is been rough, not sure why??
Denis Bay - We love going to the left and snorkeling "the wall", very secluded.
Cinnamon - Snorkel around the cay it beautiful around the backside
Maho Bay - We saw the most turtles there this year - a minimum of 12!
Francis Bay - In middle over the grass may see turtles & to the right toward Mary Point is nice coral and fish.
Waterlemon - IMHO it is going down hill :( Our first time there we saw 100+ starfish, the last few trips 0. The backside is still nice but so many people are now walking on the coral it is very sad.
Haulover (North) - One of my all time favorites - just love it.
Hansen Bay - Eat at Vie's and enjoy a great snorkel left and right are both good.
Salt Pond/Blue Cobblestone - IMHO go past Salt Pond and start at BC and snorkel back toward Salt.
Kiddle Bay - Very hard to get to but worth the effort.
Lameshure/VIERS - It is amazing not too crowded and great snorkeling
Reef Bay - Another great snorkel that is worth the effort to get there. If it is rough the entry/exit can be difficult.
Chocolate Hole - Facing the water to left that point is a great snorkel spot - the right point is okay
Turner Bay - It surprised us. We were staying at Coconut Coast so it was convenient and okay.

There are so many more but after 17 trips those are out favorites. I left out Trunk Bay because enough has been said about it but if it is your first trip you should go there.

Enjoy!!!!!!!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Thanks for the great reply Pulley.....You mentioned not seeing many starfish at Waterlemon...Is there somewhere that has some? Would love to see them...Thanks..
~Pam~
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I may be in the minority but I am not a fan of renting a dinghy.
Getting into it from the water is next to impossible for a woman with no upper body strength. I find the whole time fairly unenjoyable.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I love dingy day if you have drove a tiler steered boat at home I'd go with Noahs little arks that way you can pull up on most beaches. Other wise colypso's has center counsel ones that drive more like a car but they don't let you beach theirs.
Tom
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

PA girl was right on...but here is the reply I got this am from the Mango...
"No, it is not a set dinner. Lobster is just a special and we also serve our full menu. Lobster is sold by the pound at $35 per lbs. They start at 1 lbs and go up from there. Most people order a 1 lbs lobster. Plates are abundant. Lobster comes with a complementary glass of wine.
Reservations are recommended specially if your party is more than two people. Carlos
Morgan's Mango Restaurant"
~Pam~
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Waterguy- I have never driven a dinghy so any advise for the first timers and can 3 normal size women fit in one :? ?