Prayers Needed

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Joppa

Prayers Needed

Post by Joppa »

I don't usually do something like this but here goes. 36 days ago my 50yr old brother died at work. We don't know what happened, if it was a heart attack or an accident and won't have any answers for another month or two, if ever. This happened almost 2 years to the day since we lost my niece. This has all been very very hard on all of us but especially my Dad who is 86 and has cardiac issues. He had a heart attack over the weekend and a regular cardiac cath was unsuccessful. He is being transferred to a bigger hospital to undergo another cardiac cath this time with the assistance of a device called an Impella that will pump his heart for him during the procedure. Please say prayers, send good thoughts, positive vibes, healing light or whatever it is you believe in. I realize my Dad is 86 and been through a lot and has had a great life but I am not ready for this just yet.
mbw1024

Re: Prayers Needed

Post by mbw1024 »

Gosh, I am so sorry to hear all this. My heart goes out to your family. My own mom just turned 89 and she herself had a small operation a week ago. She's had a wicked time getting over the anesthesia. I pray all goes well for your Dad.
So sorry for your loss. What a shock.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Joppa, I have you and your family in my thoughts for comfort in your time of sorrow and wishes for your dad's recovery to better health. I am sorry for the loss of your brother.

Nothing is more important than the health and well-being of our loved ones, no matter the age. mbw1024, I'll be thinking of your mom today.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

Joppa, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and the situation with your father. My prayers are with you all through this storm of life you are going through.
My Heart is in St. John!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Joppa wrote: He is being transferred to a bigger hospital to undergo another cardiac cath this time with the assistance of a device called an Impella that will pump his heart for him during the procedure. Please say prayers, send good thoughts, positive vibes, healing light or whatever it is you believe in. I realize my Dad is 86 and been through a lot and has had a great life but I am not ready for this just yet.
Players for your Dad. The Impella comes from a company called Abiomed here in Boston area. I use to work for them. Device takes over pushing the blood in your fathers body. Any questions PM me.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and your Fathers situation, our thought and prayer are with you.

Be well
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We had a similar multiple situation a few years back, I know how tough it is.

Sending positive thoughts your and mb's way.
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Thanks everyone. Dad came through the procedure well and the doctor deemed it 100% successful. He did not end up being a candidate for the Impella as the veins in his legs are too far gone. So the doctors went ahead and did it without the pump and there were NO complications. My Dad is totally independent and very active and the doctor says he can probably be even more active now. So he went from one hospital and cardiac team ready to put him on Hospice, to this hospital and cardiac team returning him to normal activities. The first team were playing it safe for them, the second team was willing to take a risk to their stats and it payed off for all of us. Of course it was a risk to Dad too and we were both pretty scared, but it worked. Dad did tell me after that this is bound to happen again and he's not sure he can do it again. I understand. We can cross that bridge when we get to it. I'm just glad he was willing to do it this time and everything worked out. This was his 13th stent and today is the 13th and everything went well. Even his roommate had a good day, it was his birthday and he didn't die of a heart attack, he was stented and grateful. After a month of heartache, and the last few days full of uncertainty,and surrounded by other's heartache in the ICU at the local hospital, it was nice to see some very positive outcomes today. Again Thanks for the prayers, well wishes and for just listening to me.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Thank you for sharing the good news, Joppa; I am happy for you and your dad... wishing him many more good days!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
TouristTrapCheryl

Post by TouristTrapCheryl »

We are sending St John love your way, Stay strong. -cheryl
-cheryl

CBama

Post by CBama »

sending prayers your way.....
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Great to hear!
Coden

Post by Coden »

So glad to come on and read your update that your dad is doing well. May he continue to heal and be home and being independent again! :)
Coden
Connie

Post by Connie »

Very glad how everthing turned out for your Dad....sorry about the pain you're going through with your Brother.....you just never know.

My Mom is 89 and broke her femur in 4 places in July. She has been in rehab since then, but is doing amazing. Sounds like your Dad has that same will as my Mom.

Make sure you take some time for yourself. Do something fun that makes you laugh, so you can stop the worry for awhile.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Great to hear that your dad came thru in good shape!