First Trip Report of Tom and Deb (dome526)

Travel discussion for St. John
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

Tom and Deb’s 25th Anniv. 11/4-19/2012
First of all, thank you to all of you who posted TRs in the past. Your ability to capture and share your successful trips enabled us to plan for a successful trip! As I go through this TR, I will add (Forumite idea) to signify the good idea! OK Day 1- We took the Reed Hook Ferry, as I was originally going to rent a car at the airport, (Forumite idea) and provision in St. Thomas. In order to save some money, I decided to rent a car on STJ, and would pick up the car on Thursday, saving 5 days of rental fees. After arriving on Sunday, 11/4, my first intention was to go to the Beach Bar (Forumite idea). I had a “Didn’t I see you on the Forum” coozie, but we did not meet any Forumites at the Beach Bar. We had some appetizers (coconut shrimp and Tuna Bites- YUM!) I didn’t take any pics of the food. Food is food! I bought a couple of t-shirts at the Beach Bar (part of my carry-on tactic). After the Beach Bar, we took our Carry-ons (Forumite idea), and walked up to the CB Boutique Hotel. We got lucky on which way we went! I must say, it was quite a nice surprise to find out that Denise and David (the owners of the CB Boutique Hotel) were waiting for us, and took our bags, and brought them upstairs. After a long day of travel, it was nice to find a hotel owner who cares about the little things! I stay in many places on business, and their attentiveness made it feet like I was at the Ritz Carlton! Denise and David were wonderful! We checked into our room, and Denise told me about a store down the street that I could buy some beer....ouch! I paid about the same for a 2 6 packs as I do for a case of high quality beer at home! Our room was cozy and comfortable. We decided to go the restaurant downstairs for dinner at a wonderful little Italian Restaurant, DaLivio’s Italian Ristorante. There was a gentleman named Joe, who was making pizzas outside on the patio. He was passionate about making pizza, and trained for many years. All ingredients were fresh, and he was sure not to crush the tomato seeds, as to prevent a bitter taste from seeds. I did not intend to come to STJ, and have a pizza, but, I could not believe how good this pizza was! So, in order to get a flavor of different places, we decided to treat the pizza as an appetizer, and then went over to the Fish Trap restaurant, and had more appetizers! Had tuna bites again, scallops and a crab cake. So, Day 1, had dinner as apps in 2 different places, and it was a great tactic to sample different restaurants! I would suggest this to anyone! I will do it again!

Day 2- Monday- got up, and had a very nice breakfast at the CB Boutique Hotel. Breakfast was served until 10:00. We packed up, and Denise and David were more than happy to allow us to leave our luggage there. We walked up to the Dolphin Market, and picked up enough food for the first several days at Cinnamon Bay Campground (Forumite idea). We took a taxi to the “campground”, and oh my! What a campground! We used the cart to bring our gear all the way to the end unit, #10D, which (Forumite idea) according to the forum, was the best unit. Well, I think that was an understatement! That unit was private, mostly because NO ONE else was in any of the units in cottage 10 until Thursday!!! What a bonus! Not that we are not socialable, but it sure was nice to be alone for several days! Made dinner with pork and rice. The Red Stripes and Rum drinks were GREAT! We went to sleep to the wonderful sounds of the tree frogs and the waves hitting the beach. Not a bad start to our 15 day anniv trip!

Day 3- Tuesday- Coffee on the beach, and pancakes! We met Mary at the campground office. She is active in the Catholic Church in Cruz Bay, and she made sure to let us know how welcome we would be at her Church, Our Lady of Mount Carmel. We got the schedule for all of the ranger programs, so we showed up for the 9:00 a.m. program on the amphitheater next to the beach. Here is the ONLY problem about being in STJ in the off-season! The program wasn’t to start until another week (or 2!) Oh well, no big deal. We walked over to the Cinnamon Bay Ruins, and took a short hike, and learned about sugar mills. We then walked back to our cottage, and decided to hang around and make it a BEACH DAY! Why come to one of the most beautiful places, and then leave for the day? So, we drank beer, rum drinks, ate, and enjoyed the beach! Life is good! We made dinner (bacon cheeseburgers with pepper jack cheese) and a rice mixture.

Day 4- Wed.- We took a taxi into town, and spent some time at the National Park Visitor Center. Then, we picked up our passes for the Reef Bay Hike that we registered for on Thursday. We spent a bunch of money at the Friends of the VI Natl Park, and picked up some more shirts. Found the “Tap Room” in Mongoose Junction ate lunch, and- you guessed it- drank beer! Made our way back to the campground, and enjoyed the beach, and had a steak dinner. Cooked the steak on the grill, and it was terrific! Yup, more beer and rum!

Day 5- Thurs.- Coffee on the beach- I will never get tired of that! After a quick breakfast, we got a taxi into CB for the Reef Bay Hike . After making sure we all had enough water (2 liters), all 30 of us got into 2 taxis, and a 30 minute or so ride brought us to the trailhead. This hike was a very good time. The ranger was terrific, and she explained many local plants, and allowed us to try the “Dirty sock” pod. I held a poisonous centipede, and learned after holding it that it could have been some trouble if any of its “juice” got in my eye. The petroglyphs were very cool! We ended up at another sugar mill, and went down to the water to get into the boat that would bring us back to the Park Visitor Center. My wife fell while getting into the dingy...and this ended up causing a problem. Note to self and other forumites: DO take off your backpack, and put it into the dingy before getting into the dingy. DO use plastic bags, or dry bags, to put in all of your digital equipment. Yup, you guessed it....the bag got wet! Fortunately, the cameras were inside an inner compartment. They were ok! BUT, my cell phone (which I added the international plan) got wet, and it was fried! It was also my work cell phone, so this had to be an omen! Do not plan to have work stuff available on vacation! Just glad the cameras, and my wife’s phone, were fine! After getting back into CB, we walked over to Paris Car Rental to pick up our car. Then, we went to Starfish, and bought things on the flyer (Forumite idea). Then, we picked up West Indies Itch relief at the Pharmacy (Forumite idea). Made a chicken breast dinner. Drank beer and rum.

Day 6- Fri- Coffee on the beach. Took the car over to Francis Bay Trailhead, and did the ranger program on Bird Watching at 7:30 a.m. Not that I want to get up to go out at 7:30 to look at birds, BUT, it was a ranger program! It was interesting, and fun. Went back to the campground for breakfast, beach, beer and rum. Another great day! So, here is a tip... yes, Camp Maho was a good restaurant. (Forumite idea). But, we got there at 6:30. Dinner is open from 5:30-7:30, so I thought 6:30 would be fine. Wrong. They ran out of Prime Rib! Friday is Prime Rib night...so, I stomped my feet, pouted, and decided to leave. We kept driving (in the dark, on roads for the first time) and headed towards Coral Bay. We ended up having dinner at Miss Lucy’s in Coral Bay. Had a nice dinner. I did feel bad....our new neighbor in cottage 10B, asked if she could join us for dinner. We noted that it actually was our first night going out to dinner. Well, the Maho thing, coupled with going into Coral Bay, would have made it not so good for her. I later learned that she had a kidney transplant, and would not have done well having dinner so late. Things happen for a reason.

Day 7- Sat.- Yup- coffee on the beach! Got up early again, and did an EXCELLENT program! (Forumite idea). Took a photography class given by Steve Simonsen! He was terrific. We had a Canon point and shoot camera, and we learned just as much as the folks who had SLRs! We enjoyed our newfound knowledge for the rest of our trip! Our pictures for the rest of our trip were MUCH better! BIG TIME TIP HERE: do the Simonsen Photography class....but, try to do it earlier in your trip, if it is available. (Sorry Linda- wish we got to talk after the class!)

Day 8- quick breakfast, and COFFEE on the BEACH!!! Then, took the car into Cruz Bay, and was concerned about where to park. Parked at Paris Car Rental (Forumite idea). Walked over the Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and had a great time at Mass. What a friendly place to go to Mass! We supported several causes while we were there. I figured if we could afford to come on an expensive trip, that we should be able to support several causes. After Mass, we gassed up our car, got back to Cinnamon Bay Campground, and packed to leave for Castle St. John in Coral Bay. Castlestjohn.com - if you decide to book this villa, note that Tom Stauffer told you about it. This might give you a discount. I would love to stay here again. The views were, in a word, spectacular! We had to call Bonnie, the manager for the villa. She told us where to meet her. WOW! The roads were hysterical! It took over 10 minutes to go 1 mile! The privacy was fantastic! We loved the villa. It was way better than I thought it was going to be! We went back out to provision, and stopped at Skinny Legs for a burger. (Forumite idea). It was great to see a TV and the NFL!!! They had 3 games on TV! All the way to STJ, and I find a sports bar! Life is good! I got to watch my Buffalo Bills, (even thought they lost to the Patsies). There were a few obnoxious Pats fans, but, that is what you expect from a Pats fan. At Skinny Legs, in talking with the waitress, she reminded me about a place to buy fresh veggies – at “Josephine’s”. (Forumite idea). We made dinner at the villa, and enjoyed beer and rum!

Day 9- Monday- We (actually, it was never we....it was me! I cooked for my wife, and cleaned up after every meal all 15 days) had breakfast, then made our way over to Skinny Legs for lunch, and YES, they have good burgers! (Forumite idea). We picked up food at a fairly expensive market, Lily’s Market. I later found the “Love City Market”, which was less expensive, but it was OK. (Forumite idea) Also, on Monday, we took a drive out to the East End, which had plenty of donkeys. Vie’s shack was not open this day. Went back to the villa, and I made dinner again.

Day 10- Tuesday- Got up early again, and went to the Cultural History Program at Cinnamon Bay Campground, with Ranger Golda. This was the program that we tried to go to last week, but it was not yet running. Golda did not cover much of the natural history, but talked a lot about various teas, and plant remedies. Then, we made our way over to the Annaberg Ruins, and took lots of really good pictures (Thank you Steve Simonsen!) Had a taste of natural coconut at the end of the Annaberg trail, and the coconut was very good. On the way back to our villa, we stopped for a Smoothie (Forumite idea) at the Smoothie stand. This was perfect on a warm day! Had another great dinner at the villa!

Day 11- Wed.- got up fairly early again- and went to another Ranger Program with Ranger Martinez, who did the Water’s Edge Walk at Leinster Bay Trailhead. Most of the group was older people, and they were not equipped with water shoes, etc. The Ranger was great, and the people who wanted to get in the water, got into the water, and she really enjoyed showing us things like sea urchins, and the like. I loved it, and give high marks for this program. DO THE WATER’S EDGE PROGRAM! On the way back from the program, we stopped at Josephine’s for some fresh veggies. I bought some eggplant, angle beans, salad greens, and a papaya. (was told it is good for sex!) I made dinner with fresh veggies/stir fry and chicken. Dinner was very good! So was the beer and rum!

Day 12- Thursday- OK- enough with getting up early! We hung around the villa all day! I got burned from the sun, even though I stayed in the shade all day! It was great to be able to hang around like a nudist! My wife was the subject for “Tom’s Boudoir Photography Studio at Castle St. John” for the day! It was a lot of fun! We had plenty of food from the earlier shopping at Lily’s Market. Dinner was served again in the villa....as was rum and beer!

Day 13- Friday- we hung around for most of the day, and then, went to Maho Campground for Prime Rib night- $25, with no tip/tax. It was the best deal for dinner! We went earlier, at around 5:45, and they remembered me. Told me they had enough beef tonight! Just wish we got there earlier. Here is a FORUM TIP.... go to Maho Restaurant before 5:00. Bring a bottle or 2 of wine. Get a table with a nice view of the sunset. Drink wine at your table, and then, after the sunset, go get your dinner. Word is that Maho was being sold, so do this while you still can.

Day 14- Sat.- we got up early, and have pictures staring at 5:34a.m. of the sunrise. It was really nice to be outside (in my morning glory suit) taking pictures of the sunrise. Not a bad way to start the day! Then, we had breakfast, and got ready for our day with Angels Rest, which is a house boat/bar. Peter took us out to do some snorkeling (picked up gear at Crabby’s ). (Forumite idea). Peter took the boat over to Vie’s Beach, and I snorkeled on and off for the rest of the day. People swam out to the bar/boat to get $5 beer and $5 rum drinks. Everything was $5. That night, we went out to Shipwreck (Forumite idea) for dinner. It was decent.

Day 15- Sunday- up for breakfast, and then went into Cruz Bay for Mass. We made our way over to Mongoose Junction (got lucky to find a parking place). Had lunch at “The Tap Room”, and bought some good stuff from them. I like the coozie for a pint! We went to Patton Jewelry, and bought a silver pendant (25th Anniversary) with a petroglyph replica. We wandered around the shops in Mongoose Junction (Forumite idea). We took our time going back to the villa, and toured the area near Fish Bay, etc. This was the area that we had not yet explored, and checked out the Westin on a drive through, etc. We also had to return our snorkel gear, so we headed back to Coral Bay. They were nice, and did not charge us extra for bringing the gear back in the PM. Here is ANOTHER FORUM TIP!!! Since it was our last night, we really wanted to enjoy the villa, and not go out to eat. So, we picked up an appetizer and 2 meals at the Aqua Bistro. TO GO dinners worked out REALLY nicely! I would do that again!

Day 16- crap! I had to return the car at 10:00 a.m., and the ferry was 11:15. Forum idea- next time, when renting a car, I will return the car the day before departure, and check into the Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel. This will allow me to maximize my time on STJ, and take the LATEST possible ferry, depending on my flight time. So, the walk of shame commenced. BUT, the good news is simple!!! IT IS NOT MY LAST WALK OF SHAME!!! In Arnold’s words.... “I’ll be back!”
Last edited by Dome526 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teresa_Rae

Re: First Trip Report of Tom and Deb (dome526)

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Could you edit your post and add some breaks between paragraphs? It's pretty hard to read all smashed together. A lot more people will read it if the spacing is better. Thanks! :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time...Im glad you enjoyed 10-D...IMO its the best...Thx for the report...:)
[/url]
vav

Post by vav »

Thanks for taking the time for a great report!!! Sounds like you had a great time!
Sawed that board three times and it is still too short...
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Great report, don't change it! Thanks for taking the time. You did so MANY things I would never have thought of!
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

Teresa_Rae wrote:Could you edit your post and add some breaks between paragraphs? It's pretty hard to read all smashed together. A lot more people will read it if the spacing is better. Thanks! :)
Hi TR- when I submitted the post, it was done in MS Word, and had breaks between paragraphs. Didn't realize it formatted differently until you noted so. Hope the breaks help now.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

THANKS for sharing your trip report with us! Sounds like y'all had a nice time, especially doing all the NPS stuff. I've ALWAYS wanted to do the Shoreline Walk. I'll add that to my list for the next trip.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Great report Tom. You certainly got a lot of stuff done.

Well, I tried to find you and Deb at the Beach Bar on the 4th - Jan/Mike of VA and Don and I were there. We settled down at one of the tables and I said - Hmmm - I wonder if Tom and his wife are here. So I wandered around the bar looking for a couple that seemed to be looking for others:
Me: "Hi, are you Tom from Connecticut"
Stranger: "I can if you need me to be"

After about the 3rd attempt, I gave up :lol:

Don and I were at Cinnamon on Wednesday. I remembered you were staying there, but thought best before I started knocking on doors.

Glad that I posted about the photography workshop on the forum - I think we all enjoyed it immensely. I tried to cram in a boat load of good photo's before we left the following Tuesday.

If other forumites are interested and you don't see anything on Steve's website, contact Janet Simonsen by email and they will do their best to accomodate. You need 5 participants for any of the workshops.
janet
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Well you sure made the most of THAT vacation! Welcome to the obsession, and thanks for the trip report!
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

mindehankins wrote:Well you sure made the most of THAT vacation! Welcome to the obsession, and thanks for the trip report!
Wellllllll, after all of the TRs I read to learn about what to do, and how to do, and where to do, etc. I figured I owed BIG time to the Forum, so it was a way to "pay it forward". Kind of like going through a toll booth, and paying for the person behind you!
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Thank you for a great trip report!! We were with Janet and Don Sunday night. I remember her running around the bar looking for you guys, sorry we missed you.
Great idea about dinner to go......it's wonderful dining on the deck with a beautiful view :)
I feel ashamed that we have never done any of the National Parks programs :oops:
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Ahhh.....I needed a good trip report!! Thanks!
lprof

Post by lprof »

It is always fun to read a trip report of a first St John visit; yours tells it all (and I do like details!).

I am glad to hear that you liked the Cruz Bay Boutique Hotel as it is in our plans for February.

There were minor earthquakes every day while we were there... probably not at all unusual, but now I know that it was you stomping your feet :lol: that I felt when we were having dinner at Maho Bay Camps. Forum tip: senior citizens can get a 20% discount on dinner... if they ask for it. There was a sign... didn't see it in time.

Steve Simonsen's class was clearly a highlight for all of us. I guess that you didn't notice that Hubby and I did NOT have SLRs... or hear Steve tell me that my Nikon Coopix was the same model he started out with. :shock: :oops:

Skinny's is kind of an off-site Boston for sport's fans. We were there that Sunday also, earlier than you, I guess. I did an iPhone video... will look to see if you are in it.

Forum tip: Vie's is open Tuesday thru Saturday and it is still $2.50 per person to access her beach.

Hummm... in Mexico they say that papaya is good for mal stomach.
Josephine's is still on our "first time to do" list.
I have enjoyed hearing about all your activities.

It seems that you treated your lovely wife to a marvelous 25th anniversary... her shirt said it all... "He loves me". Hope to catch up with you on St John in the future!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thanks for your report I really enjoyed it. Love the tip of trying appetizers and different places and calling it your supper. I did not realize there were so many ranger activities. We have done reef bay trail with the rangers but might look into the others.

I have Maho campgrounds on my to do list to eat supper there for sunset.

Thanks for taking the time to share. It sounds like you are hooked!
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

Hi Janet....
Crap! You could have stopped at cottage 10D! I would have poured you a rum drink! I bet it is cold in NH tonight!
Tom
jayseadee wrote:Great report Tom. You certainly got a lot of stuff done.

Well, I tried to find you and Deb at the Beach Bar on the 4th - Jan/Mike of VA and Don and I were there. We settled down at one of the tables and I said - Hmmm - I wonder if Tom and his wife are here. So I wandered around the bar looking for a couple that seemed to be looking for others:
Me: "Hi, are you Tom from Connecticut"
Stranger: "I can if you need me to be"

After about the 3rd attempt, I gave up :lol:

Don and I were at Cinnamon on Wednesday. I remembered you were staying there, but thought best before I started knocking on doors.

Glad that I posted about the photography workshop on the forum - I think we all enjoyed it immensely. I tried to cram in a boat load of good photo's before we left the following Tuesday.

If other forumites are interested and you don't see anything on Steve's website, contact Janet Simonsen by email and they will do their best to accomodate. You need 5 participants for any of the workshops.