Crewed Charter advice, please - Festiva, Moorings or other

Travel discussion for St. John
17th Hole

Crewed Charter advice, please - Festiva, Moorings or other

Post by 17th Hole »

My wife and I have our 15th Anniversary coming up this spring and instead of the villa we are going to do a week on a catamaran sailing the BVIs. I've looked at both Festiva and Moorings and they both look great and the price is right. Was wondering if there are any other options out there that you would like to recommend. I've tried contacting one or two other companies (I guess they are brokers?) but did not get any response from them after multiple attempts. Both Festiva and Moorings responded quickly. I think we're looking for a crewed boat that would include meals and everything. We don't really want to HAVE to do anything if at all possible - like navigate, cook or know where we are or what day it is. 8)

Also, any other helpful advice for a live-aboard newbie would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

hotrns

Re: Crewed Charter advice, please - Festiva, Moorings or oth

Post by hotrns »

We booked a Festiva Charter with 2 other couples and had one of the best vacations I have ever had. The Capt and crew (Guy & Kaz) were wonderful to work with and bent over backwards to address our every request. I can't say enough about how relaxing and fun a vacation with absolutly no worries was!! Never have taken other crewed charters but am interested in feedback from those who have.
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Thanks for the feedback! I think that was exactly what I wanted to hear! How long ago did you sail with Festiva? Now that you've sailed with them - any tips for someone going out for the first time?

Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Check out Singing Dog Sailing. Captain Kelly and captain Steve are awesome
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

From what I could tell from their website, Singing Dog Sailing seems to be for day trips and not a live-aboard. It looks like a pretty nice boat though! We are looking for the week long live-on-the-boat vacation.

Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Oops sorry about that I thought they did both. I hope you find what you are looking for and have an amazing time
PL3

Post by PL3 »

Ask over here, TONS of experience...

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/ ... &Board=bvi
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

We ended up booking a week with Festiva! Will let you know how it goes with a trip report when we get back! Thanks!

hotrns

Post by hotrns »

Hope you have as great a time as we did! Pack light (we just used duffel bags) and enjoy you relaxing time on the boat. Remember you are sailing so a lot of the time is spent chilling out (sipping on rum drinks) till you get to your next location. I would also recommend fasting for the week before because you will certainly eat plenty during your cruise.