Charter with kids (3-year-old)?

Travel discussion for St. John
sasky

Charter with kids (3-year-old)?

Post by sasky »

Has anyone ever done a charter w/ small children? I would personally love to do a full day, but I'd be nervous with the little one being able to last all day. So it would have to be a half day, which is a bummer because I really wanted to go to Jost.

Experiences? Recommended companies that would be good for a child?

Thanks!
smilesfromMN

Re: Charter with kids (3-year-old)?

Post by smilesfromMN »

We went with Captain Phil (Wayward Sailor) a few years ago when my boys were 7 & 4. It was a half-day sail with a snorkel stop and my boys loved it! Captain Phil was fabulous with the kids! Both of my boys learned a lot from Captain Phil and will still (4 yrs later) randomly mention some kind of ocean fact that they remember.
I had emailed him before I made reservations and asked for his opinion on taking a 4 yr old on a half or full day trip. He suggested the half day. He said that in his experience the kids usually leave happy and wanting to come back for more from a half day sail, but sometimes they have "meltdowns" on the full day sails and then they don't have any good memories of the day even if they were having fun to begin with.
Obviously there are a lot of variables, but I'm just saying what worked well for us.
Have fun!!
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

We did a fully day trip with Capt Rick and Lion in da Sun with my 5 yr old and almost 3 yr old. There was a lot of variety going from place to place that the kids stayed interested. They napped during the boat rides in between stops and didn't have any meltdowns. I would do with a private charter to have more flexibility than being on one with a set schedule and with other people. At snorkeling spots we pulled them around on a noodle. It worked out great. They were tired puppies at the end of the day but it was all good!
CHM

Post by CHM »

We took our son on his first full day charter when he was two. (Let me preface that we own a boat and he has been boating since 3 months of age). We rented from Ocean Runner with a Captain. The Captain they provided was great and he was a member of St. John rescue. We took our own life vest for our son, but Ocean Runner had them available for rent as well. When our little one got tired, he and I rested while the rest of the group went to the bubbly pool. And what a beautiful place for a little quiet time! When on Jost, we found a spot away from the adult crowd for him to play and my husband and I took turns with him. we always try to be respectful of those vacationing away from their kids, especially on JVD. This year we chartered with Born to Rhumb (this past Friday actually) and I highly recommend them. We planned on taking our now 4 year old, but later decided on getting a babysitter (also highly recommended on the forum). Andi and Shane with Born to Rhumb have a young child so they are awesome and understanding of small kids. But on the flip side I would also recommend the babysitter route. Crystal was Wonderful and it was a nice little break for us. Never would I have imagined using a babysitter I didn't know, but she works for Christy's of St. John and came highly recommended by the parents on this forum. She was awesome and our son loved her! We will definitely use her every year from now on!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Captain Phil for a half day was my first thought. We took our son with Capt. Phil when he was a baby and I appreciated his attention to safety and our comfort level. I remember he has a couple of grandkids on the STJ so I would suspect he would be great with kids. Also, I think the activity level of a sail boat would keep little minds interested.

We took our son for his first full day at 4yo and it went great.
sbattle2507

Post by sbattle2507 »

Hello,

We are using Pirates Paradise Adventures (full day) and taking our two year old.
sasky

Post by sasky »

Thanks for all the responses, these have been super helpful.

Here's another question for those with experience. My son has very sensitive ears. Would a power boat be too loud? We'd bring ear protection, but also don't want him to have to wear them the whole time, ya know?
smilesfromMN

Post by smilesfromMN »

Do not take the public ferry to Virgin Gorda with a child who is noise (or scent) sensitive. While it got us to the Baths and back safely, it was VERY loud & the exhaust fumes were incredibly strong. I won't choose to go to VG that way again.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

If you want to consider doing the trip by yourselves without your
Little one , I have just started a babysitting service for island guests. I have 28 years experience working with kids as a physical therapist as well as a mom of two grown kids. i will continue PT services to peds here, but I wanted to do something else as well that involved kids! If interested PM me.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

I'll put in another vote for Capt. Phil and the Wayward Sailor. We did a half day charter this past December with our 5.5 yo and 2.5 yo and they had a great time.

Capt Phil is great with kids - so is his mate Tarn (sp?). Not sure I would try a full day just yet, that would be a long day.
kah3104

Post by kah3104 »

We recently used Isle-Mon charters with Captain Kevin. I was very apprehensive doing an all day cruise as I have young kids (2 and 3 years old) and a partially handicapped father. It was hands down the best decision we made! Captain Kevin was amazing and made us feel at home. He realized our limitations and the fact we couldn't do a "typical" day charter. We went to the caves and noodled with the kids, at lunch at Foxy's Taboo, and then cruised around and ended our day with a swim at the beach next to the Soggy. We are planning our trip back for next year and can't wait to book Captain Kevin again!