Westin Ferry vs. VI Ferry?

Travel discussion for St. John
xr4ticrew

Westin Ferry vs. VI Ferry?

Post by xr4ticrew »

In the past we have used the Westin Ferry for our transportation to the Westin for our week on St. John. Looking at the rates it will set us back $400 for 2 adults and 2 kids if we go with the Westin Ferry. Looking at the VI Island Ferry I estimate it will cost us Ferry fees of $38 plus whatever Taxi Fares are from STT Airport to the Ferry dock and then from Cruz Bay to the Westin and back again when we go home, I think it will cost us about $ 50 to get from the Airport to Red Hook Ferry and then another $10 from Cruz Bay to the Westin. So in total i think $160 is a good estimate for transportation from STT to the Westin and Back.
Obviously a big savings over the Westin Ferry. That $240 can go a long way towards Rum Drinks , Etc.

My question is this, What is the degree of difficulty of getting from the airport to Red Hook, getting on the Ferry and getting from Cruz Bay to the Westin? We will have 2 kids with us, Ages 7 & 10 and they have been on vacation with us for the past 4 years to STJ. We will probably have 2 suitcases plus a couple carry ons too.

I know the Westin Ferry is very convenient but I dont think the cost is worth the convenience to he honest with you.

Any input or suggestions would be great.

thanks
XR4TICREW..............
ChipN

Re: Westin Ferry vs. VI Ferry?

Post by ChipN »

Not difficult at all to go the local ferry route. Might even be worth contacting Rachel for a private taxi since there are four of you. Her number is 340-771-2986. She'll meet you at the airport and take you straight to Red Hook when you have your luggage claimed. No waiting to fill the rest of the van and no stops along the way. With 4 the price won't be much if any more than a public taxi.
bigyellowtuna

Post by bigyellowtuna »

no benefit to the Westin ferry unless you plan to go back and forth several times between St Thomas and St John (I believe the Westin ferry cost includes unlimited trips during your stay), but who would want to do that?

For me public taxi was a breeze. We did make one stop on the way at a resort on St Thomas, but it only added 5 minutes to the trip. On the way back home we stopped at the cruise port for other passengers, but again it was only a few minutes extra travel time.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

The taxi to the public ferry is easy. The reason people use private taxis like Rachel is that the regular taxis often stop at various resorts along the way and it can take from 30 minutes to almost an hour. This sometimes means that you have missed the ferry you were hoping to take and must wait for the next one although the terminal at Red Hook has food and drink available. We have been to St John more than 20 times in the last 30 years and have only lucked out with a direct public taxi 2 or 3 times. That said, I do think it is worth the savings and you will soon forget the taxi ride.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We have had our taxi stop on the way to Red Hook but it only added several minutes to the ride. I don't know the Westin schedule. If you think you will arrive/depart in a more timely fashion it would be worth it. Otherwise, the public taxi and ferry combo should be fine.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

ChipN wrote:Not difficult at all to go the local ferry route. Might even be worth contacting Rachel for a private taxi since there are four of you. Her number is 340-771-2986. She'll meet you at the airport and take you straight to Red Hook when you have your luggage claimed. No waiting to fill the rest of the van and no stops along the way. With 4 the price won't be much if any more than a public taxi.
All I can say is AMEN! I can't imagine paying so much for the ferry ride when the regular ferry is no problem, esp. with Rachel!
kklay

Post by kklay »

I have another suggestion, if you are planning on renting a vehicle on St. John, why not rent your vehicle on St. Thomas and use the car barge? We started doing this about 3-4 years ago and it's great! Especially with the four of you - no need to load into a taxi, then unload, get on ferry, then get into a taxi on St. John. It also is quite a savings over the public ferry, taxi, etc. when figuring 4 people.